Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft Outlook gives me a "Operation cancelled due to restrictions  (Read 4984 times)

81 capt.

Topic Starter

Starter

Well, I am a beginner to all this so first Howdy! I am having an issue with my Outlook Express giving me an error whenever I try to go to a attached link on my email. I mean every link. The error reads: " operation cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact system administrator. I run a Windows XP and this just started about two weeks ago. A little help please, thanks

billrich

Re: Microsoft Outlook gives me a "Operation cancelled due to restrictions
    « Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 11:41:08 AM »
    Well, I am a beginner to all this so first Howdy! I am having an issue with my Outlook Express giving me an error whenever I try to go to a attached link on my email. I mean every link. The error reads: " operation canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact system administrator. I run a Windows XP and this just started about two weeks ago. A little help please, thanks

http://www.computer-aid.com.au/blog/2009/07/09/outlook-this-operation-has-been-cancelled-due-to-restrictions-in-effect-on-this-computer/

<<<"Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> set program access and defaults -> at this point, “custom” is normally highlighted… click on “custom -> choose default web browser -> pick the specific web browser you want to use (probably Internet explorer) -> OK
    I close IE8, and outlook express, restart outlook express, and links will now open IE8 when they are clicked on. Hooray!">>>

billrich

Re: Microsoft Outlook gives me a "Operation cancelled due to restrictions
    « Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 11:44:54 AM »
    Well, I am a beginner to all this so first Howdy! I am having an issue with my Outlook Express giving me an error whenever I try to go to a attached link on my email. I mean every link. The error reads: " operation cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact system administrator. I run a Windows XP and this just started about two weeks ago. A little help please, thanks

To set security zones

In Outlook Express, security zones enable you to choose whether or not active content, such as ActiveX Controls and scripts, can be run from inside HTML e-mail messages. You can choose a moderate security level that allows most active content to run, or you can choose a more restrictive security level.

On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Security tab.
    In the Security Zones section, choose an Internet Explorer security zone:
    Choose Internet zone for standard use. It is used by a majority of Outlook Express users.
    Choose Restricted sites zone to create a more secure environment.
     Note

You can adjust the security level of these and other zones in Internet Explorer. The security settings that you make in Internet Explorer also apply to Outlook Express. In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options, and then adjust your settings on the Security tab.