Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Converting Wordperfect to Microsoft Word  (Read 9210 times)

02bin3

Converting Wordperfect to Microsoft Word
« on: November 17, 2009, 12:29:45 PM »
I have some old floppy discs with files that were made on my old IBM 486 with Wordperfect.  I am not sure as to what version it is but the version had to be from around 1994.  I do have floppy drives in my 4 year old computer that is showing signs of being on its last legs.  Yesterday I bought a new Asus that, of course, doesn't have floppy drives, so I would like to open these Wordperfect files on the old computer, convert them to Word and then save them to my external hard drive before this computer totally crashes on me.  Does anyone out there have any idea how I can go about this project?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Converting Wordperfect to Microsoft Word
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 04:06:30 PM »
What version of Office do you have ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

02bin3

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 04:29:30 PM »
Office 1997.  I know it is an old version but I really haven't needed anything more than that.  Thanks for your quick response.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 05:38:20 PM »
Office 1997. ...
You're going to install Office '97 on the new computer?  I'm not sure if Office '97 will function with Vista or Win7.

02bin3

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 09:08:02 PM »
No, I wasn't intending on using my old Office '97 on the new computer which is Windows 7 Professional.  I had thought about using Open Office on the new one but I don't know if there is a version of that yet that works on Windows 7.  I was told that there is a free download from Microsoft that will allow folks to use their old XP programs, but that is only with Windows 7 Professional or better.  I just wanted to convert the old Wordperfect files to Word so that I could open them with Open Office or a newer version of Microsoft Office.  Thanks

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 07:48:37 AM »
Here Ya Go...

NOTE: Not tested by me as of yet.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 08:05:42 AM »
So, you have Office 97 installed on the old computer, right?  I have Office 97 installed on a system with Windows 98SE.  I see that Word 97 can open WordPerfect 5.x and 6.x files.  What version is your old WordPerfect. 

Or, I believe you MIGHT be able  install the latest version of OpenOffice with Windows 7 and open WordPerfect with it, although I'm not sure how far back in versions of WordPerfect it will go.  However, I'm not sure OpenOffice works with Windows 7.  A brief search indicated some people who've tried it have run into problems.

Another option might AbiWord, another freeware word processor.  Note that both OpenOffice and AbiWord are available in portable versions.  The portable version can be installed on, and run from, a flash drive. See http://portableapps.com/apps/office

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 08:18:11 AM by soybean »

02bin3

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 09:16:15 PM »
Hi, thanks for your reply.  I think it is Wordperfect 6.0.  I don't have the software for it but I STILL have the old IBM 486 that it was/is installed on that is lanquishing in my basement since 1998.  I am not sure as to what years the various versions of Wordperfect came out but I do know that I generated these files around 1995 & 1996, so it would have to have been a version from 1994.