Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Replacing a Modem  (Read 3352 times)

hunter480

Topic Starter

Rookie

Replacing a Modem
    « on: November 24, 2009, 07:14:04 PM »
    Would a bad moden cause  my dialup to boot me more frequently? I hate dialup, and it`s worse lately because it continues to boot me off-line.

I`ve received a couple error messages saying my modem was having issues.

I saw a tech replace my modem once, he opened the face of the CPU and put the new one in, then had to go into the software and do something.....is this something I could handle?

It`s a Dell 8400 series computer......

mypersonaltechadvisor

Rookie
      Re: Replacing a Modem
      « Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 12:12:48 AM »
      Hi Hunter,

Are you comfortable opening up your computer and touching the electronics, possibly disconnecting cables, and pulling circuit boards out of one slot to be replaced by a different circuit board? If so, sure, you can handle it. As an alternative, it would probably be a small bit more expensive, but easier to buy a USB modem. Try something like this:
      http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3718719&CatId=564

You could just plug this into an available USB port, unplug the phone cable from your existing modem and plug it into this. That should do the trick.

As a third alternative, since you hate dial-up, have you looked at broadband? I'm assuming you don't have cable or DSL available in your area or you would have already switched. What about cellular internet? AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and others all offer small USB "dongles" that connect to their respective cell networks and provide a much faster speed than dial-up. Sometimes faster than DSL. I have used both Verizon and ATT. I prefer VZ in my area, but you should check your coverage. I think they all cap the monthly download size at 5GB, but that should be more than enough. If you're coming from dial-up, you're not downloading 5GB per month, anyway. Just don't go crazy with online video and downloading huge podcasts or something.

Good luck!
      Jesse
      Want a little extra help? Come on over to www.mypersonaltechadvisor.com.

Blendman

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 02:25:05 AM »
        If you could post these error messages it would be a great help and any other pc information you have. It may not be a faulty modem, could be a few other issues as well.

hunter480

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 08:08:09 AM »
          Hi Hunter,

Are you comfortable opening up your computer and touching the electronics, possibly disconnecting cables, and pulling circuit boards out of one slot to be replaced by a different circuit board? If so, sure, you can handle it. As an alternative, it would probably be a small bit more expensive, but easier to buy a USB modem. Try something like this:
          http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3718719&CatId=564

You could just plug this into an available USB port, unplug the phone cable from your existing modem and plug it into this. That should do the trick.

As a third alternative, since you hate dial-up, have you looked at broadband? I'm assuming you don't have cable or DSL available in your area or you would have already switched. What about cellular internet? AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and others all offer small USB "dongles" that connect to their respective cell networks and provide a much faster speed than dial-up. Sometimes faster than DSL. I have used both Verizon and ATT. I prefer VZ in my area, but you should check your coverage. I think they all cap the monthly download size at 5GB, but that should be more than enough. If you're coming from dial-up, you're not downloading 5GB per month, anyway. Just don't go crazy with online video and downloading huge podcasts or something.

Good luck!

I contacted AT&T, (they`re my cell service provider), and although I get a good cell signal outside the house, I don`t inside, so I can`t use their tower for my computer signal. The only other alternative where I live is Wild Blue from DirecTv, but they won`t waive the $200 up-front installation and equipment fee, so I`m hosed.

hunter480

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 08:22:05 AM »
            If you could post these error messages it would be a great help and any other pc information you have. It may not be a faulty modem, could be a few other issues as well.

The error message doesn`t appear often, and I never wrote it down verbatim, but says something to the effect of, U.S. Robtics Modem has experienced a problem and needs to shut down.......something like that.

I`ve gone into the PC and checked Moden performance, but it says the Moden is fine.....

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 08:25:57 AM »
              hunter480,As you are undoubtedly aware dial up modems are prone to many issues besides sloooow speed.For instance noise on the phone line can cause the issue you are experiencing. A couple of observations : if you really must continue your internet experience with dial up my own experience back when was that "US Robotics" 56k modems seem to be more reliable than others. If you need to replace yours think of one of theirs (if you can still find one). Dial up modems are getting harder to find in bricks and mortar stores. On line should present more opportunities. Would it be possible for you to locate your DSL (AT&T) (if they are your only dsl option) outside the house? Usually the problem of dsl reception is caused by too great a distance from the terminal box location (theirs). Do any of your immediate neighbors have a dsl connection?truenorth
              P.S. I really doubt that placing the antenae/modem for dsl outside will make any real difference as the signal is coming into the house via the existing telephone line whereas your "cell" signal is coming through the air.
              P.P.S. Your post (last) came in as i was replying --so it looks like the "U.S. Robotics" suggestion is already in place. Do you have another computer you could try to check on it's experience with your dial up connection?

hunter480

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 12:00:41 PM »
                hunter480,As you are undoubtedly aware dial up modems are prone to many issues besides sloooow speed.For instance noise on the phone line can cause the issue you are experiencing. A couple of observations : if you really must continue your internet experience with dial up my own experience back when was that "US Robotics" 56k modems seem to be more reliable than others. If you need to replace yours think of one of theirs (if you can still find one). Dial up modems are getting harder to find in bricks and mortar stores. On line should present more opportunities. Would it be possible for you to locate your DSL (AT&T) (if they are your only dsl option) outside the house? Usually the problem of dsl reception is caused by too great a distance from the terminal box location (theirs). Do any of your immediate neighbors have a dsl connection?truenorth
                P.S. I really doubt that placing the antenae/modem for dsl outside will make any real difference as the signal is coming into the house via the existing telephone line whereas your "cell" signal is coming through the air.
                P.P.S. Your post (last) came in as i was replying --so it looks like the "U.S. Robotics" suggestion is already in place. Do you have another computer you could try to check on it's experience with your dial up connection?

No, i don`t have another computer.

I`ve had this issue for quite some time. Not too awfully long ago, the dial up was faster than now, which is what led me to believe an issue may be present with my PC.

I`m at the point where I`m just going to turn my CPU over to someone who does this for a living to troubleshoot.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 03:15:48 PM »
                  hunter480, Hold the phone (no pun intended). Unless the "someone" is both knowledgeable and free it is unlikely that you will be satisfied with the result. If you "take" the computer with the modem installed to their location that won't help you with what may be a telephone line problem at your location (which is more than likely the cause). If you want to do more yourself i would call the telephone service provider you have and have them check your line (at the house) for signal quality and strength. Also if your dial up service provider is someone other than the same company talk to them as well (this may or may not be a satisfactory effort--as dial up service providers tend to blame all problems on the telephone company). But if you really are insistant about wasting some money you could buy another 56k modem and try it--it will be a LOT cheaper than going to a remote technician.truenorth
                  P.S. Another suggestion occurs to me from my time on dial up. You may wish to investigate other providers offering dial up service in your area. If the problem is being caused by line quality that solution will not be of benefit. However all dial up service providers route their "modems" through a central point (they may have many depending on how large or small their service is). Often their own equipment can affect your outage,speed,and quality issues depending on the quality of their equipment and technical maintenance programs. You should talk to others in your area about their experiences with other companies and perhaps that you may find by changing providers your issues may lessen.
                  « Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 04:15:03 PM by truenorth »