Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mininova has gone legal!  (Read 15274 times)

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Mininova has gone legal!
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 06:58:13 PM »
agreed
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 07:30:43 PM by computeruler »

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 07:29:33 PM »
agreeded
Nice word.

So Mr. Google. Are you saying that nothing should be copyrighted? Are you saying that all content should be freely available?

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 07:31:09 PM »
agreed is a nice word  ;D
well it would be nice if nothing was copywrited

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 08:17:31 PM »
It would also be nice if we lived in a Utopian society, but human nature prevents it. Unless people were raise in complete isolation, with only each other to rely on, then we can't possibly pull that off. The same goes for copyrighting. In a utopian society, you own nothing as your self, but there is a collective ownership.
Where's MagicSpeed?
Quote from: 'matt'
He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

Google

Mentor

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 09:55:41 PM »
    Nice word.

So Mr. Google. Are you saying that nothing should be copyrighted? Are you saying that all content should be freely available?

Well, yes on the internet, it should be. And if you want a hard copy, go out and buy one. All media content.

It all gets copied and downloaded anyways, so why not just go with the flow?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 02:30:33 AM »
    Well, yes on the internet, it should be. And if you want a hard copy, go out and buy one. All media content.

Then how would anyone ever make money?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 02:36:05 AM »

You'd fail Moral Philosophy 101 with that argument, except possibly in Nazi Germany or Pol Pot's Cambodia.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 03:05:36 AM »
    I find it humourous that only those with nothing to lose from it think things would be better without copyrighting.

Obviously they don't seem to realize just how much work goes into many programs- they should not be FREE, but many of the prices charged are ridiculous. I paid over 200 dollars for a Windows XP CD, and they couldn't even be bothered to provide a jewel case. I mean, OK- 200 dollars I could almost swallow, if MS was still distributing as much as they used to- the media, hard copy manuals, reference cards, etc, like they did for my copy of Visual Basic 2.0 that I have.

But 200 dollars for a freaking CD and nothing else? That's just plain silly.

the whole "it should all be free" argument seems to only be shared by those who have not contributed anything to the all and have nothing to lose and everything to gain from such an arrangement.

In a utopian society, you own nothing as your self, but there is a collective ownership.

No, not a "Utopian" society, that's called Communism. And it doesn't work. It's been tried quite a few times.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 03:12:19 AM »
    Quote from: BCP
    the whole "it should all be free" argument seems to only be shared by those who have not contributed anything to the all and have nothing to lose and everything to gain from such an arrangement.

Sometimes people get confused between free speech and free beer. Are people like Richard Stallman and the GNU people  included in your remark I quoted above?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 03:17:52 AM »

hmm, I was a tad ambiguous.

Linux is free- but that isn't what I mean; a large portion of people that use linux eventually contribute something to the project, and even those that don't still appreciate the work that went into it, even if they can be overly critical of it :P

The GNU people and so forth all believe in the free concept; but they also work towards achieving it for everybody.

That's OK!

I mean the people who "believe" in the concept but want everybody else to be the one making them free- likely not because they care about the concept at all but more because they want something for free themselves.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 03:27:12 AM »
    Look at all the videogames out there. Halo, Call of Duty, Left4Dead.

Lets take the game Call of Duty 6 for example.

To develop the game, Infinity Ward would have needed hundreds of people, working round the clock for weeks or months.
    The developers are literally pulled away from their families to create the game you're pirating.
    All the effort needed to create a game like Call of Duty...and you're saying it's all for nothing; and that the game should have been released for free?

Where do the hundreds of developers get their pay from? If all their stuff was pirated, how would they continue the Call of Duty series without money?

Remember this is only ONE EXAMPLE.

Same goes with software. Programs like Photoshop take hundreds of hours to develop. That's why they're so expensive - because they're such high-end programs.

Here's my rule. If you like something; Support It!

If you like the game, Buy the *censored* game.

If you like the song, support the artist and buy their albums.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 03:28:59 AM »
    Linux is a good example.

Let's take Ubuntu.

If you like Ubuntu, even though it's free, why not support its developers by donating a couple bucks? Right?

Google

Mentor

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 04:01:15 PM »
      Linux is a good example.

Let's take Ubuntu.

If you like Ubuntu, even though it's free, why not support its developers by donating a couple bucks? Right?

Let's say you can't afford it though. Then you don't donate. Same with music, games and software. If you can't afford it. Download it.

That's my view, the wealthy should be paying more than the poor. Taxes should be like that too. If I was wealthy, I would buy all my music, software, games, and DVD's too.

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 04:08:06 PM »
      honestly though, how much money are the artists and movie industries loosing when you click that download button?  Not much.  About 86 cents per album, and Im not sure about movies.  But they might get even more money, cause if you liked it, you tell people, and they go buy it.  Its advertising.  Why do you think companies leak things early sometimes?

Google

Mentor

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 04:23:26 PM »
        honestly though, how much money are the artists and movie industries loosing when you click that download button?  Not much.  About 86 cents per album, and Im not sure about movies.  But they might get even more money, cause if you liked it, you tell people, and they go buy it.  Its advertising.  Why do you think companies leak things early sometimes?

Yea it gets the word around about the product.