Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7, 64 bit & software compatability  (Read 7044 times)

02bin3

Windows 7, 64 bit & software compatability
« on: November 27, 2009, 02:34:43 PM »
Recently I purchased an Asus Essentio CG5270, desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium, which I upgraded at the time of purchase to Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit system that and I believe it also has 32 bit.  When it boots up it gives me a choice of opening in Windows 7 or Vista.  I am assuming the Vista is running on 32 bit.  It appears to have a partitioned HD, C for .exe files, and D for Data which is presently empty.  Before my Windows XP computer crashed I had backed up all my data and pictures files to an external HD.  I am running dual Acer flatscreen monitors on the Asus.

On the old XP computer I had been running Quick Books Pro 2008 which will run on Vista, and Print Shop 22 that will run on XP.  (I believe I will have to upgrade to a Print Shop version that will run on Windows 7 & a 64 bit system in order to open up the files I have saved.)   I also have quite a few .doc files that were generated on Microsoft Office 97 that I would like to access with Open Office.  My questions are:  If I bootup using the Vista choice (which I haven't done as yet) can I install Quick Books running Vista?  Can I download Open Office while running Vista?  I checked and it doesn't appear that there is a version of Open Office that will run on a Windows 7, 64 bit system as yet.

I haven't been able to get any sound from this computer.  I have Altec Lansing speakers that I've had since 1997, that have worked on Windows 95, 2000 & XP.  They are really nice speakers so I've never bothered getting newer ones.  There 6 choices on the back of this new machine to plug in speakers.  So far, I've tried two of them and the speakers still aren't working.  They are not showing up under the Devices & Printers, if that is where they are supposed to appear.  Any suggestions as to what the problem could be? 

Thanks, 02bin3