Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 Core vs. 4 Core Folding  (Read 46849 times)

Aegis

Topic Starter

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: 2 Core vs. 4 Core Folding
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2009, 04:24:26 PM »
Harry:

Sorry -- I've been busy being an idiot!  (My usual state of affairs!)

I'm pretty sure your processor is a 2.4 Gigahertz Intel Pentium 4, which is perfectly respectable.  It is a single core processor, which is why there's no mention of "cores," or mutlple cores.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Boozu

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2009, 02:07:39 AM »
I was thinking of moving to the SMP client but I have a few questions. Currently I am running 4 instances of the GUI client. The only way I got that to work was to copy the entire folding folder and put it in a second directory(Folding 1, 2...) and then change the client ID of each one so that they work side by side. I made a short cut to each exe file. It sounds like you guys did not need to do anything but change the ID. I am also running one GPU client on the same computer.

The way I have things set up now works for me mainly because I when I need more of my CPU power for something I can simply pause one or two of the instances and do what I need to do then unpause them. My computer is almost always running unless I restart(every few days) it to clear out the RAM of built up data or when I install something that requires a restart.  Would the SMP client be better use of my quad core then running 4 clients? And would I be able to throttle it back easily to be able to do CPU intensive things on my PC? Finlay if I go to SMP then what is the difference between MPICH and DEINO? F@H FAQ.
Don't worry about it.  If it's not good at stock, then it's not good.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2009, 11:32:07 AM »
Would the SMP client be better use of my quad core then running 4 clients? And would I be able to throttle it back easily to be able to do CPU intensive things on my PC?

There probably is a way to easily manage this that I'm not aware of but as far as my machines go I just end the SMP processes if I need more CPU.

Finlay if I go to SMP then what is the difference between MPICH and DEINO?

Believe the main difference is 32-bit vs. 64-bit:
You must have a 32 bit OS for DEINO to work. If you have a 64 bit OS, you must pick the MPICH version since DEINO doesn't work at all.

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Boozu

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2009, 01:24:53 PM »
ComputerHope. On your F@H page it says that you use 7 CPUs (including gpus or consoles) in the last 50 days and 4 in the last 7 days.  Does the SMP not support the hyper threading in the i7 or is it using the processing power but not seeing it as a separate core like the OS would?

Just let you know that I have recently surpassed you in the 24 hour average and according to extreme overclocking folding I will surpass you in ~5.2 years.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2009, 02:16:10 PM »
Yes the i7 is supported on the SMP client although after installing Windows 7 on the machine I don't have any SMP clients running on that machine just processor and GPU. Guess I better work on getting that setup again so you don't pass me in five years.  >>:
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Boozu

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2009, 03:56:03 PM »
You had better hurry. It has already redused to 4.3 years. This will be interesting. We have similar GPUs so we can take them out of the equation. Other than my main system I have a socket 478 Celerons 2.5GHz pc with Ubuntu running 24/7 and will soon be adding my AMD athalon x2 2GHz system. I want to see how much of a boost the hyper threading will give you over my i5. What other systems do you have folding and how much are they folding a day?

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2009, 11:36:34 AM »
I've got a SMP client running now on the machine. Took me a lot of work since I couldn't get the older version working since it apparently expired back in July. However, running the new panda version on it will see how that works and maybe get more going later.
-Albert Einstein