Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Apple Automated Script  (Read 20384 times)

Helpmeh

Topic Starter

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Apple Automated Script
« on: November 28, 2009, 07:05:43 PM »
Hey, I have a Mac emulator running OS 7.01 and I am wondering if there is a way to have an automated script (like a windows batch file), automatically copy all files from one drive to a storage drive. Also, if there is a way to do this, and other things can be done, I would also like to know which site can show me how to script/program to do it.
Where's MagicSpeed?
Quote from: 'matt'
He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Apple Automated Script
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 07:40:51 AM »
While I'm sure it's possible to script in OS 7.1, nobody has software for it anymore, and I'm not familiar with OS 7.1. 

If you want to do it on OS X (any version) you can do it with built in tools or using shell scripts. 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 10:09:42 AM »
Actually... from what I've read in my only mac book, "The Macintosh Bible, Third edition" (published 1991) and oriented towards the "newer" OS 7 system (hahaha)... it doesn't look like System 7 included any sort of scripting capabilities or anything like it built-in.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Helpmeh

Topic Starter

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 01:29:43 PM »
Actually... from what I've read in my only mac book, "The Macintosh Bible, Third edition" (published 1991) and oriented towards the "newer" OS 7 system (hahaha)... it doesn't look like System 7 included any sort of scripting capabilities or anything like it built-in.
Umm can anyone point to where I can get my hands on a scripting program, or mpre importantly, how to browse the web on it. Also, I think I can get up to OS7.5, but I need someone with a mac to decompile some files.
Where's MagicSpeed?

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 08:18:15 AM »

Right.  I was only saying that OS X has scripting abilities built in.

However, it's very possible that there are some 3rd party apps for OS 7 (even like a macro recorder) that could do similar things that a batch script can do, depending on what the OP wants.

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 08:18:57 AM »
Umm can anyone point to where I can get my hands on a scripting program, or mpre importantly, how to browse the web on it. Also, I think I can get up to OS7.5, but I need someone with a mac to decompile some files.

If you told us what exactly you're trying to do we may be able to help you find something that'll work.

Helpmeh

Topic Starter

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 03:22:17 PM »
If you told us what exactly you're trying to do we may be able to help you find something that'll work.

I have a mac emulator on my flash drive (it works pretty well), and using up to OS 7.5 is perfectly legal because apple has posted the download links for free use.
Where's MagicSpeed?

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 10:24:30 AM »
I have a mac emulator on my flash drive (it works pretty well), and using up to OS 7.5 is perfectly legal because apple has posted the download links for free use.

That's fine and dandy.  However, that's not what I'm asking.  What exactly are you trying to do with the batch script?  If you can tell me what you need to do we may be able to assist you in finding some solution

Helpmeh

Topic Starter

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 03:46:59 PM »
That's fine and dandy.  However, that's not what I'm asking.  What exactly are you trying to do with the batch script?  If you can tell me what you need to do we may be able to assist you in finding some solution
Hey, I have a Mac emulator running OS 7.01 and I am wondering if there is a way to have an automated script (like a windows batch file), automatically copy all files from one drive to a storage drive. Also, if there is a way to do this, and other things can be done, I would also like to know which site can show me how to script/program to do it.
Where's MagicSpeed?

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 06:39:12 AM »

d'oh!  :-X

Sorry.

Since you're looking for scripting capabilities (and not just the copying of files to a flash drive), AFAIK, you're at a dead end.  As we said earlier, scripting is not built into OS 7. 

I'm definitely no expert on any Mac OS before 9.  I was a Windows and Linux only guy until Mac OS X came around, really.

I did a few searches on Google for what you're looking for and came up with nothing.

Any reason why you don't want to do the Hackintosh thing so you can use OS X?

Helpmeh

Topic Starter

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 08:13:17 PM »
d'oh!  :-X

Sorry.

Since you're looking for scripting capabilities (and not just the copying of files to a flash drive), AFAIK, you're at a dead end.  As we said earlier, scripting is not built into OS 7. 

I'm definitely no expert on any Mac OS before 9.  I was a Windows and Linux only guy until Mac OS X came around, really.

I did a few searches on Google for what you're looking for and came up with nothing.

Any reason why you don't want to do the Hackintosh thing so you can use OS X?
Isn't Hackintosh an ACTUAL computer? This is an emulator running on a flash drive. And I can basically get any version I wanted, if I could decompile the .bin files and had no regard for legal issues.
Where's MagicSpeed?

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 11:52:33 AM »
hackintosh simply means running OS X on non-apple hardware.  It can, in fact, be run on a flash drive given the correct drivers (kexts) and a bios capable of booting off of a flash drive.

Helpmeh

Topic Starter

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 03:16:21 PM »
hackintosh simply means running OS X on non-apple hardware.  It can, in fact, be run on a flash drive given the correct drivers (kexts) and a bios capable of booting off of a flash drive.

Can you point me in the right direction? This sounds really interesting. Do you know the minimum space requirements?
Where's MagicSpeed?

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 08:58:05 AM »
Can you point me in the right direction? This sounds really interesting. Do you know the minimum space requirements?

I'd be glad to.

Go here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

They have installation guides, forums, and tons of information there.

Here's another site: http://ihackintosh.blogspot.com/2008/12/how-to-boot-mac-osx86-from-flash-drive.html

This site has instructions on setting up OS X (10.4 Tiger) on a flash drive.  The same principles would apply to Leopard or Snow Leopard if you want those.

Helpmeh

Topic Starter

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 03:37:18 PM »
Wait, you have to boot to it? I'm sorta looking for an emulator that can run on xp (Which is how I got Mini vMac).
Where's MagicSpeed?