Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop battery replacement ? ? ?  (Read 5829 times)

bob7415

Topic Starter

Laptop battery replacement ? ? ?
    « on: September 25, 2009, 01:20:32 PM »
    Using a MACBOOK with 10.5 OS and having battery problems.  For the past 3-4 months I have noted that I can get no longer then 1-2 hours using only battery power, although it indicates I actually start with 100%.  At the same time, I noted that the fan has been running continuesly when ever the computer is ON regardless of being charged or not plugged in while operating.

I felt I needed a new battery and have gotten one and it's installed.  I continue to have the same problem even with a brand new battery.

Is there some procedure I have omitted in installing the new battery, or is there a problem with the computer and I didn't really need a new battery??  I charged the new battery to 100% and then used it without the cord to bring it down to 1-2%.  It has been recharged back to 100% twice, but I still am unable to get more then 1-2 hours out of the full charge.

Suggestions would be most welcome.  Thanks   

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Laptop battery replacement ? ? ?
    « Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 10:30:34 AM »
    Bob,

There are a few things to check.  First- are you using a lot of applications while using the laptop?  If you're watching movies, editing movies, or playing games it can significantly lower the amount of time the laptop will last off of a battery.

Also, if you go into system preferences under "energy saver" you can change some preferences to help the battery life last longer.  If the fan is continously running loudly (even when not doing anything), you may want to bring in your macbook to the apple store and have them take a look at it (which is free). 

One last thing you can do to help the battery is to properly calibrate it.  Charging it to 100% then running it down to 1 or 2% is good, but it's not quite a full calibration.  Follow the article here on apple's site to calibrate it properly: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

bob7415

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 08:45:21 AM »
      Problem Solved via a visit to the GENIUS bar @ the APPLE store.

Checked out the Activity Monitor and learned that an old PRINT program consisting of multiple pages from some months ago, got 'hung-up' and couldn't print hence ran continuously drawing down the battery  ! ! !

Dumped the hung-up pgm and all is back to normal. 

IT'S EASY WHEN YOU KNOW HOW ! ! ! !

Thanks for your comments.

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
      « Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 01:24:40 PM »
      Good!  The genius bar is always a great help.

Thanks for updating us on the fix!  ;D

Cottery

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 11:15:55 PM »
        thanks for introudction on genius bar for me-a computer greenhand.

MP1975

Apprentice
          « Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 07:13:55 PM »
          Bob,

There are a few things to check.  First- are you using a lot of applications while using the laptop?  If you're watching movies, editing movies, or playing games it can significantly lower the amount of time the laptop will last off of a battery.

Also, if you go into system preferences under "energy saver" you can change some preferences to help the battery life last longer.  If the fan is continously running loudly (even when not doing anything), you may want to bring in your macbook to the apple store and have them take a look at it (which is free). 

One last thing you can do to help the battery is to properly calibrate it.  Charging it to 100% then running it down to 1 or 2% is good, but it's not quite a full calibration.  Follow the article here on apple's site to calibrate it properly: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

Just curcious if this battery conditioning is just for apple or can be used for laptop batteries in general?
          Dream untill your dreams come true.

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
          « Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 07:39:40 AM »
          It can be used for any lithium-ion batteries in general.