Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Download Manager & Microsoft downloads  (Read 7300 times)

02bin3

Download Manager & Microsoft downloads
« on: December 04, 2009, 05:08:57 PM »
A few months ago both Griff & quaxo had reccomended Free Download Manager to solve my over-the-limit MB download problems.  It worked just ducky and when I got my new computer up and running I downloaded Free Download Manager again, however, when I went to the Microsoft Updates page and clicked on the Download button to download over 200MB of security & program updates, the Download Manager window didn't pop up so that I could schedule the download for between 2:00AM-7:00AM.  Consequently it download over 200 MB of updates and when that happens it cuts my internet connection to just barely moving for a period of 24 hours.  Has anyone else had that problem with Free Download Manager not recognizing Microsoft's downloads?  If so, is there a way around it?  Thanks

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Download Manager & Microsoft downloads
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 05:27:10 AM »
FDM only allows you to download files directly from the Web, i.e. through a web browser or using FTP.

02bin3

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 12:41:09 PM »
Thank you for answering but I don't understand what it means?  I was on the Microsoft website using IE when I clicked on the Download Button and the download started immediately instead of going through FDM.  I haven't had the problem with other websites when I've gone there for downloads.  What is FTP?  I went to the Microsoft website today and turned off Automatic Updates and chose to have them notify me of available updates instead.  Do you think that being on "automatic" may have been the reason FDM was by-passed?

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 12:46:27 PM »
Microsoft Update will not work through 3rd party download managers. It downloads using IE's built in download manager only.