Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 Pro & older keyboard & mouse compatibility  (Read 8651 times)

02bin3

Windows 7 Pro & older keyboard & mouse compatibility
« on: December 06, 2009, 12:58:16 PM »
My computer is a 64 bit Windows 7 Pro and I really do not care for the new design keyboard that came with it.  It is more like a laptop keyboard and I really prefer the action on my older Logitech Navigator keyboard.  I also prefer my older Logitech mouse that I can program the wheel to a DELETE mode.  Can I use these two on the system I have now or would there be a problem?  They both have USB connections.  Thanks

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Windows 7 Pro & older keyboard & mouse compatibility
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 01:07:25 PM »
You can use them, but you'll have to install the 64 bit setpoint driver from Logitech to get all the functionality you want (they do use setpoint and not itouch, right?).

neelchauhan

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 12:47:44 PM »
I guess you have no problem with the older keyboard. Just get a USB to PS/2 adapter.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 12:55:10 PM »
I guess you have no problem with the older keyboard. Just get a USB to PS/2 adapter.
What are you talking about?

edit.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 01:36:07 PM by Allan »

02bin3

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 01:31:45 PM »
It has a USB connection on it already.  I just didn't know if it would do weird and whacky things to my computer if I tried to plug it in since it is a few years old.  I haven't seen any of the newer keyboards that are made the way this one is.  For me, the way the keys are made makes it very comfortable to use.  I have one of the newer keyboards that came with the computer and it is more like a laptop keyboard and doesn't work all that well for me.  Keys are too close together and the touch is not light.  I don't really need all the features that the Logitich Internet Navigator has, it is just a great keyboard to use.  Thanks for the follow up.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 02:28:22 PM »
Just a suggestion here and i don't know if it will accomplish what you want...but try removing the Logitech program using Add/Remove programs and see if the keyboard reacts the way you want...
You can always re-install if it's not to your liking.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

02bin3

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 02:40:26 PM »
Thanks, Patio, for your answer.  I haven't installed the program for the keyboard.  If I was sure the computer wouldn't have any adverse reaction, I would just  plug it in and treat it as Plug 'n Play and hope for the best.  I have a Logitech mouse, too, that I liked because without even using the driver for it in the XP computer I could program the wheel to Delete when pressed.  I don't know if this mouse will work with the Win 7 Pro, 64 bit.  I just don't know enough about computers to predict whether using a periferal that wasn't made for a particular OS, would cause registry problems or any other problem that would wreck havoc with the computer.  Thanks again.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 02:49:39 PM »
You can't hurt anything. Either they will work or they won't - and either there is 64 bit sw available from Logitech for them or there isn't. Regardless, plug them in and see what happens. I assure you, nothing will explode.

02bin3

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 09:46:43 AM »
Thanks, so much!  I did as you recommended and plug both the old Logitech mouse and keyboard in after I had shut down the computer and they are working just fine, with the exception that when I went into the Control Panel to program the mouse wheel to DELETE, the choice to do that wasn't there.  Oh, well, I guess we can't have everything.  If anyone knows of a mouse that will work with Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit, that the wheel can be programed to DELETE, I would appreciate a heads-up.  Thanks, again.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 09:50:03 AM »
If the mouse drivers are seperate from the keyboard drivers you could try installing them...and/or check the Logitech site...

NOTE: In the install process you will be aske d about Logitech sending you info and/or auto check for updates...do NOT select this option if you don't want them to email you every other day...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "