Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: power up problems  (Read 18187 times)

hobbs

power up problems
« on: June 08, 2004, 08:42:53 PM »
Hi and thanks for lookin at my problem.  I got home today and went to turn on my computer and nothing.  We did have a thunderstorm during the day so im guessing that had something to do with it.  Ive tried a different, working power cord.  Im trying to rule out everything i can and was wondering if there is something on the motherboard that i could change to bypass the on/off switch.  If that doesnt do the trick i hope its the power supply, if not then i guess its the motherboard.   :(   Ive got a Msi kt 4 ultra motherboard.
thanks again for the help.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: power up problems
    « Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 09:58:50 PM »
    hobbs.....Was you computer on when the electrical storm passed through.  I guess the obvious.....you have already checked ...but is the circuit that the puter is connected to working .........There may have been some lightning and a surge got to your puter........Look at the motherboard and pay attention to the capacitors in there .....( look like little barrels) do you see any that appear to be swollen or any that are leaking ?
    The motherboard may be damaged .......
    let us know

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

hobbs

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 10:14:06 PM »
    yea the circut is fine, got several other items plugged into the power strip that the computer was in.  will take a look at those caps and see.  thanks for the reply.

update, just looked at the board and the caps, they all look good, nothing out of the ordinary.  just for my knowledge, if it was the motherboard shouldnt the power supply still cut on?  
    « Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 10:24:29 PM by hobbs »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 12:19:57 AM »
      hobbs...The power supply on the L/V side has a 20 pin connector which plugs into the motherboard and the on/off switch or button on the front of your P/C plugs into the motherboard.....there is a connection via printed circuit..So when you turn on the switch in front the circuit is completed out thru the motherboard to the on/off switch and back thru the motherboard to the L/V control device in the power supply and away it goes ....
      If you research which pins on the P/S  20 pin plug connect to the front switch via the printed circuit and jumper them out then the fan in the power supply should start up and you can meter the L/V outputs and rule out the P/S as the problem....
      BTW.....you never said if your computer was on when the storm went through.
      Let us know

dl65  ???

hobbs

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 08:21:03 AM »
      not sure if it was on during the storm, it does boot up on its on from time to time so it could have.  was at work during the storm.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 11:28:08 AM »
        hobbs.....what do you mean ......"it does boot up on its on from time to time so it could have."  Do you mean you have it set up to "awaken" with LAN activity ?

dl65  ???

hobbs

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 08:16:42 PM »
        well got it back up, went by computer store and bought a cheap power supply.  Hooked it up and everything is working.  ;D  Got to get a higher voltage though tomorrow.  As far as the booting up, i have not a clue as to why it boots up on its on.  i usually just shut it back down when it does.  Dont know bout the lan activity, never set it up for that.  Would that be in the router set up page?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 08:43:20 PM »
          hobbs....I think power supplies are rated in watts.....You should be looking for one thats at least 300 watts .....more would be better .
          I think , if memory serves me that the LAN ......wake up setting is in Bios.......

Glad the problem wasn't any more than the power supply..

dl65  ???

hobbs

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 09:53:49 PM »
          yea, my old one was 450 watts, bought a cheap 300 watt, goin to trade it in on a higher one.  thanks again for the troubleshootin!