Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: your thoughts on this  (Read 14609 times)

harry 48

Topic Starter

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Familiar
your thoughts on this
« on: December 09, 2009, 04:37:36 PM »
what do you think of these parts , the make of pc is Targa

processor  : amd athlon64  x2 5200+ duel core cpu

memory : 2048 mb  ddrll-ram

drive : 500gb  7200rpm  s-ata

hd dvd=rom

multinorm duel/double layer dvd/cd writer

mortherboard : asus m2a-vm

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
Re: your thoughts on this
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 04:53:16 PM »
I would like it better if it were Intel.
What's with the HD DVD? You know it's pretty much useless unless you have a bunch of HD DVDs from before the HD wars were finished, right? (try blu-ray) ;)
I would want double the ram......

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 04:59:06 PM »
I have to agree with the HD-DVD thing, HD-DVD was the standard that "Lost". Blu-Ray is the accepted optical storage mechanism for high-definition content.

Is this for you Harry? If so it should really speed up your folding. Since it has two cores you won't even really notice F&H running in the background, and it will go faster too :)

What Operating System is planned for this? 2GB is great for XP, and acceptable for Vista (although I haven't ever run Vista it with less then 4GB myself, so I don't exactly know that first-hand)
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

rooskie94

Rookie
    • my club
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 08:24:05 PM »
i would get a intel cpu
`don't play with fire`

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 08:33:48 PM »
harry 48,

If it is not  what you like, you could donate to a charity. Like me.

harry 48

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 01:57:36 PM »
harry 48,

If it is not  what you like, you could donate to a charity. Like me.

i decided not to buy it
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have a lot of free time since my heart attack and i'm thinking of going to help a charity who renovate second

hand pc's and send them all over africa do you think i would learn enough to build my own pc

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 02:22:20 PM »
Sure, yuou can build your own.
If this is  your first, keep it simple. Use a combo that has already been proven. Here on the forum they can telly you what to stay away from.
The best experience may be with a new Intel Combo that can be upgraded later.

harry 48

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 02:31:52 PM »
thank you and i would learn a lot about what to do at the charity ?

alphanumeric

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 09:28:47 PM »
I think if you were to join this charity you may NOT get the experience you're looking for, second hand PC's that are to be "renovated" will simply have their hard-disks zeroed/erased and a new copy of the O/S installed. Once the previous owners info and files are erased the computer won't need any components removed or replaced so you won't get to see anything at all really. You'd be lucky to see the case having to be removed!!

I would suggest starting simple, see if you can watch someone repairing a PC who would be able to explain the components and their operation step by step to you. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT PARTS. Don't go buying parts for the computer unless you know they are compatible. Alternatively ask me or any other experienced person on the forum for help with any queries.

btw how much for that TARGA machine? with those old components you'd be getting ripped off paying more than ~€50.

harry 48

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 07:31:03 AM »
it was free from the recycle yard  ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 09:45:29 AM »
alphanumeric makes PC repair seem more difficult then it is.

If you can learn how to change your own oil, you can probably get a good grasp on PC hardware.

Sure, some might say, "but nobody makes courses on how to change your own oil". Of course, nobody makes a huge deal out of it, either. And even though it's pretty easy there are businesses designed to do just that for you. Not everybody can be bothered to learn to change their oil, and even if they know how, they might have bought a new car that is unfamiliar. the same thing applies to PCs and PC repair; not everybody can be bothered to learn much about their PCs, and even if they do they might need help with a new OS or hardware architecture. This doesn't make the process complicated- you don't need to understand a whole lot about electricity aside from a few basics, and you won't need to know details about the hardware such as the various logic gates- you just need to know some high level stuff- that's how the PC was designed; you shouldn't need to have a degree to replace a video card, and you certainly don't; it was designed to be relatively simple.

I think if you were to join this charity you may NOT get the experience you're looking for, second hand PC's that are to be "renovated" will simply have their hard-disks zeroed/erased and a new copy of the O/S installed. Once the previous owners info and files are erased the computer won't need any components removed or replaced so you won't get to see anything at all really. You'd be lucky to see the case having to be removed!!

This is not necessarily true. a good amount of rationing is done with memory- for example, maybe if you get two PCs brought in, one that only has 64MB and another with a GB in 2 sticks, they might take out the 64MB and give both computers 512.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.