Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to maximuze use of this Linux box on our future network  (Read 2096 times)

hodges91

Topic Starter

Rookie

How to maximuze use of this Linux box on our future network
    « on: December 11, 2009, 09:19:38 AM »
    I am currently doing volunteer work to help start off the Cyber Lab here at my college. Since we just started, we do not have much funding yet so we are making do with donated items until we get some funding. The head (one of my professors) of the lab donated a lot of old Pentium 2 and Pentium 3 boxes to the lab and I have been looking into a specific one. It has two 350MHz Pentium 2 processors, 384MB of RAM and four open PCI ports as well as on-board ethernet.

The network here is mainly going to be used for controlled hacking. We will have three main network connections. One being our own intranet (for test hacking and forensics labs), one being the network that we would use to connect to for competitions (hacking between us and whomever is competing against us), and then finally a connection to our school network (so we can use the school resources if need be.).

Currently, this system is fitted with Fedora 9 SMP. I was looking for some insight as to how I could maximize the use of this box for use in the network. A router? If so, what kind of routing services? Our network will consist of about 18-23 computers when everything is said and done.

My currently knowledge with Linux itself is not very high however I took a course this semester with UNIX so I have a decent baseline of knowledge with terminal and CLI type deals. I don't mind doing research on how to configure specifics with the network adapters if someone has something specific in mind for this.

If you would like any more specs of the computer or the future network, post up the questions. :)