Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MSCE, MCSA Certification (How to obtain)  (Read 6677 times)

Chrisxs5

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Sup!?
    • Where we learn IT daily!
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
MSCE, MCSA Certification (How to obtain)
« on: June 16, 2008, 11:35:29 AM »
OK, so I have been doing this stuff for awhile and now to go ahead and get my certifications. Unfortunately the networks are easier to figure out to work than trying to figure out how to get the cert. So I was wondering if anyone would be willing to tell me how; step by step and point by point. Also an estimated cost breakdown would be nice to.

Thanks in advance!
Chris
Check out my blog: http://vitrookie.com

System, Network, Virtualization, Storage, ETC Admin with a bunch of certs and an ego trip!

DarkMSTie

Rookie
    Re: MSCE, MCSA Certification (How to obtain)
    « Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 12:52:20 PM »
    Well I currently have my MCP certification (70-270, the XP test, usually the first you take for the MCSE/MCSA 2000/2003 line of tests, of which there is seven). They restructured everything for the 2008 tests (Vista and Windows Server 2008) so I couldn't help you much out there. However the way I did it was to buy an exam prep book, you can find them at any Borders or other bookstore, can also buy them online if you choose to.The other thing to look for...this is after you have read the book cover to cover and are just fine tuning your knowledge...is to do a search for "actualtests" or "testking" + test # + torrent in google. It is possible to pass the tests by just memorizing these but you won't really learn anything. The microsoft tests are pretty tricky in their questions. You usually have to read through a paragraph or two before you get to the actual question their asking. The testkings/actualtests will show you exactly what the test will be like, sometimes they are exactly like the test. Hope this helps a bit, feel free to ask any more questions.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes

Chrisxs5

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Sup!?
    « Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 01:15:47 PM »
    Well I currently have my MCP certification (70-270, the XP test, usually the first you take for the MCSE/MCSA 2000/2003 line of tests, of which there is seven). They restructured everything for the 2008 tests (Vista and Windows Server 2008) so I couldn't help you much out there. However the way I did it was to buy an exam prep book, you can find them at any Borders or other bookstore, can also buy them online if you choose to.The other thing to look for...this is after you have read the book cover to cover and are just fine tuning your knowledge...is to do a search for "actualtests" or "testking" + test # + torrent in google. It is possible to pass the tests by just memorizing these but you won't really learn anything. The microsoft tests are pretty tricky in their questions. You usually have to read through a paragraph or two before you get to the actual question their asking. The testkings/actualtests will show you exactly what the test will be like, sometimes they are exactly like the test. Hope this helps a bit, feel free to ask any more questions.
    From this point where would you take the test at?

System, Network, Virtualization, Storage, ETC Admin with a bunch of certs and an ego trip!

DarkMSTie

Rookie
      « Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 01:20:11 PM »
      For microsoft tests you need to go to prometric.com , put in your location, type of test etc, and it will give you a list of testing centers. Usually they are at colleges, or sometimes exam prep "boot camps", things like that. I believe each microsoft test is around $125, Microsoft.com had an offer that I believe just ended,  but you could double check. It was called "Second Shot", if you didn't pass the test on the first try they'd let you retake it for free. (There's also another testing center called Pearsonvue.com this place is good if you wanna take maybe your A+, CCNA, etc,also prometric has these as well)

Chrisxs5

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      • Sup!?
      « Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 01:38:27 PM »
      Thanks all of you very much. I am now on my way.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 01:40:10 PM »
      I linked the wrong page earlier. http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/default.mspx
      This page (and links on page) will tell you everything you need to know about msca/msce

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 06:31:06 PM »
      Thanks all of you very much. I am now on my way.

Bring plenty of money.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

lau

Beginner
        « Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 11:27:57 PM »
        Just be careful when relying on testkings, I heard that Microsoft was suing Testking because they were never allowed to give out the actual exam. So the test  you take might be different.

Good luck, I'm right there with you.
         ;)
        Thort of the day: I was normal once....didn't like it

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 06:24:18 AM »
        Brainbench is one of the better ones.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DarkMSTie

Rookie
          « Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 08:24:05 PM »
          Microsoft hates the testkings/actualtests/braindumps etc, but I can tell you from experience, at least for the one test that I have taken, that they are word-for-word. But if you just attempt to memorize all the answers you immediately fail because those dumps are upwards of 200 questions, and with microsoft where you have to read through about two paragraphs before you get to a question, it'd be like reading War and Peace, so learn the material and only use them as a guide.

aalisha9

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 12:37:20 PM »
          hi people... can any one help from where do  i get the latest dumps for mcsa and
          i have already finished my 270 paper and 290... i heard we get a certificate from Microsoft.. i tried lots for shipping option but cant find...
          i need someone to help me regarding the latest dumps and
          how do i get the shipping option ... i want the certificate to be delivered by post.. cant find the option

killerb255

Adviser
            « Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 02:06:22 PM »
            ...not to mention the questionable ethics of using a braindump on an exam.

In the late 90s/early 00s, braindump + MCSE = ticket to instant $60,000+/year salary in some places.  However, after about a week or so, many of these people didn't know what they were doing on the job and got canned.

Doing that so much devalued the MCSE certification in today's market.  The MCSE has become more of a risk when hiring new employees than a symbol of expertise.  To some degree, that punishes legitimate MCSEs who actually know what the heck they're doing.

One of the reasons the NT6.x certifications have been restructured so much was because of the decreased value in the MCSE name.  There is no "MCSE" certification for Server 2008 or Server 2008 R2.  The MCITP is the closest equivalent.  However, the "MCITP" name is not nearly as well-known, and HR departments are more likely to ask "What's that?" than anything...

Overall, the problem is the inherent flaws in the testing system, and changing the acronyms is not the solution.  There are only 200-300 questions in the test pool for most exams, and they tend to get leaked to braindump sites.  Microsoft doesn't want to spend the additional resources updating the test questions once a month, so anyone with a photographic memory can become a "Systems Engineer" or "Systems Administrator."

I heard that Cisco does a much better job updating their pool of test questions...
            Quote from: talontromper
            Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.