Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Quick Books files turned into .pdf files???  (Read 8980 times)

02bin3

Quick Books files turned into .pdf files???
« on: December 14, 2009, 07:14:54 AM »
Recently I bought a new computer, Win 7 Pro, 64 bit system that many of my programs would not run on.  One of these was Quick Books 2008 so installed QBs on my Vista laptop,  downloaded the backup files I had on my external HD for QB to the laptop and managed to open my files.  Great so far.  A week later I had to make address changes to QBs, forgot that it was on the laptop and tried to bring up the files on the Win 7 Pro.  There were QB files on the Win Pro machine because I had downloaded everything that was on the external HD to the new computer.  Of course they weren't opening when I tried and I got a window that kept asking me what program I would like to use and I was looking through the list but couldn't find QB program (forgetting totally that it wasn't on that machine.)  I stupidly tried to open them a couple of times and after the third time of closing that window...........all my QB files turned into .pdf files!  I have no idea how it happened.  Now I am afraid that if I do get an updated version of QB that will work on the Win 7 Pro computer, it will convert the QB files to .pdf.  It changed all the QB files on my external HD to .pdf, too.  Is there someway that I can reverse this disaster?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Quick Books files turned into .pdf files???
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 07:22:47 AM »
I would think you'll have to manually change the file extensions back to whatever QBooks uses...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Quick Books files turned into .pdf files???
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 07:33:56 AM »
I would think you'll have to manually change the file extensions back to whatever QBooks uses...
That should work if the files were not truly converted to PDF.  But, if they were, this may be an irreversible situation.

Do you have a PDF converter installed on the Win 7 Pro computer?  Does QBs feature PDF as an option for saving reports?  Have you ever intentionally used that feature? 

Do these "converted" files open with a PDF reader such as Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader?  What PDF reader do you have?

Do you have Microsoft Office installed on it?  If so, which version?  Reason I ask is Office 2007 can save files in PDF.  However, I can't imagine how that would actually be related to your situation.