Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My first computer build  (Read 12089 times)

10twenty

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
My first computer build
« on: December 14, 2009, 03:39:40 PM »
I built my first computer a couple months ago. Completed, more like it. Initially it took a lot of planning and researching, which all was abandoned when at the deeps moments of the recession my local electronics stores offered deals on new parts cheaper than anywhere else. I planned to build a computer since completing a computer hardware class in high school 2005. I never got around to it until last year fall 2008 when it was apparent that i needed a new computer as my old one, without extremely expensive upgrades, couldn't run basic software required for work and school. My new computer was never about gaming, although it was built like one. All I wanted was the "biggest bang for my buck" and a computer that can run autocad 2007 and solidworks 2009 smoothly. Originally I planned to build a budget system using as many existing components as possible. It had a powerful AMD Phenom 9850 CPU, 3 GB ram, nvidia GTX260 GPU, SATAII 500 GB HDD and the plan was to install windows xp (that I already have), sound blaster sound card (better than the onboard realtek), some IDE DVD burners and readers, floppy drive. Then came along the sale and everything changed.
for $400 extra on top of the $900 budget I got:

OS: Windows Vista x64 Home Premium (would of gone with win7 if it was out)
CPU: Intel i7 920 2.67GHz Quad
MOBO: MSI X58 Platnium
RAM: G.Skill 3x2GB DDR3 1333
onboard sound- the soundblaster card was incompatible
GPU: eVGA nVidia Superclocked Ed GTS250 1GB
PSU: Corsair TX850 850 watt
Case: Antec 900
HDD primary: Seagate Baracuda 1.5TB SATAII
HDD secondary: Hitachi 1TB SATAII
"Media Drive": simpletech [re] drive USB 1TB ("green" external drive with aluminum and bamboo finish)
Logitech Illuminated USB Keyboard

So that was $1300 in May 2009.

To get that new processor I had to take money out of the other components, so as you can see, I got the cheapest x58 board, not-so-great GTS 250 card. The MSI board suffered excessive heat issues, the IOH would overheat and cause the system to freeze. it was positioned in such a way that it was impossible to replace the heatsink. I plan to replace that with a better board, one that i should of bought that was only $50 more. The GTS 250 was no good too, it was no better than a much cheaper 9800GTX card.

Last month I traded the GTS250 and $65 cash away for a brand new GTX285 card. Its above and beyond what I planned for initially. I saw a noticeable increase in my game frame rates. now they're so high its ridiculous. (1500 fps in CS 1.6)

So what do you guys think? Good for first build?
Its supposed to last me at least 7 years, the time my last computer lasted before i had to buy a new computer.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: My first computer build
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 07:03:34 PM »
Got you added to the SBCC and your build looks like a fantastic first build. Specs on the system looks really good and I'm sure the performance matches it. As far as the computer lasting seven years, I don't know about that. Although if your last computer lasted you that long I'd imagine this one would too. Usually for good performance and use I usually suggest a new computer and/or upgrade at least every four to five years.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

alphanumeric

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 09:40:55 PM »
good is an understatement, for a first build that system is very impressive.

nice job ;)

the computer should run fine for the next 7 years the problem is with technology evolving at an ever increasing rate your O/S could face being phased out by microsoft before that time not to mention that newer CAD software in the future will place ever increasing demands on your current system until it does not give you the performance you need. It's not that the computer won't last 7 years operating-wise but performance-wise!!

GeekSince84

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 04:54:33 PM »
Looks like you turned out a really great build after all :o. I did my first build on a 3.44 Ghz Intel Socket 7 CPU on an matching Intel Mobo both purchased independently from TigerDirect at rock bottom prices; i couldn't believe the luck of my timing :D  I put it all together with 4 HDD, primary 160 GB Maxtor, first slave 500 GB Seagate, 2ndary 1 TB Seagate, 2nd slave 1.5 TB Hitachi, for all my backups, & oh yeah, 4 gig memory. Those drives are already all 35% full :-[ One of my daughters had bought me a MS curved keyboard & matching Mouse last Christmas. I gota tell ya, this machine's a screamer... it's on fire. With all I am loading onto it, 3 layers of compatible anti-virus, anti-spyware it takes just under 20 seconds to fully load my WinXP Pro system :o. I cleaned out any unnecessary software from the load and kept only the bare essentials, keeping it lean and fast. Though I'm not into gaming, I do a lot of graphics. I carry over 2,500 songs that whip into shape regularly as i go along & over 10,000 images in my extra drives with plenty of software available to process sound files & images of all kinds. I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to songs & images ;D.  Anyway, i hope your machine lasts you those 7 years. Funny about that, that's how long my last one took to get too old to use as i wanted it to. Good luck and good computing.