Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win 98 and USB use  (Read 12592 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Win 98 and USB use
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 05:51:22 PM »
The reason USB doesn't work as well as it does with 2000 and XP is simply because there was no provision for device classes; well, that's a lie... there was, but the only ones at the time were pretty much keyboards and mice- HID devices. Flash drives were pretty much just invented at the time; this is why every company pretty much has to make their own driver; there was no abstraction of a generic "Storage device" class, so it's basically just a USB device.

I believe windows ME fixed this; it is no longer up to the driver to understand the device, but the device's job to understand the driver. (turns out that almost every mass-storage device did this already with draft specs)

the Generic Mass Storage Driver (Come to think of it, I'm not 100% sure it was included in the unofficial SP, I might have downloaded separately) either way, there is one available. (maybe it was this one?

Now, of course it's not flawless, I've had issues with hot-plugging and sometimes it takes a few tries before I realize that windows 98 doesn't make the beep-boop sound like XP and open explorer myself, but aside from that it has worked quite well for me.

regarding actually getting these onto the target PC, only thing I can think of is to burn a CD-R or split the file onto floppy disks.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 05:57:17 PM »
That's the one I used, too.  Worked on all devices except that one PNY.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 09:05:25 AM »
    CC & BC,Thanks guys and very good input. Not very encouraging though. I have definitely come to the conclusion that this is an O/S created issue. As you undoubtedly noted from my earlier post i DID FIND a driver for the supposed "fix on 98SE" but that it did not work. However given that it is probably an O/S issue i believe that dooms soybean's alternative hardware solution to be doomed as well. New PCI usb port card will not remove the overriding issue of the O/S i would think?
    BC No the USB root hub does not appear in device manager. I will try the "this one" link and see if it does anything--will advise.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 09:24:31 AM »
    BC No the USB root hub does not appear in device manager. I will try the "this one" link and see if it does anything--will advise.

Ahh, well there's the problem. It's not necessarily a issue with the OS but rather the fact  that the OS isn't even aware of the existence of the USB connectors.

you could try using the Add New Hardware wizard. with any luck it will detect it and install automatically.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
    The Unofficial Win98 Service Pak was a 3 year project and could very well solve this.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "