Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Explorer can't load pages after trip to South Africa  (Read 3811 times)

blueheron222

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Internet Explorer can't load pages after trip to South Africa
    « on: December 26, 2009, 08:18:50 AM »
    Hi, I think this problem is sufficiently different from others I've seen posted. I don't usually use Internet Explorer (I use Firefox), but I think it's inability to load pages is interfering with downloading some free computer security downloads (Malwarebyte). At least reading up on those problems prompted me to check out my IE. I was in South Africa last month and as you can see, my "cache administrator" (I don't know what that is) is listed as South African. I tried to reset IE and still get the error. I can't load any pages. I'll post the error message and then my system info. Thanks very much.

ERROR
    The requested URL could not be retrieved

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.google.com/

Error:

The following error was encountered:

Access Denied.
    Access control configuration prevents your request from being allowed at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel this is incorrect.

Your cache administrator is [email protected].

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Generated Sat, 26 Dec 2009 15:10:51 GMT by proxy0.sun.ac.za (squid/2.5.STABLE9)

Here's my system information:

OS Name   Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition   
    Version   5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600   
    OS Manufacturer   Microsoft Corporation   
    System Name   ELLEN   
    System Manufacturer   Dell Computer Corporation   
    System Model   Inspiron 600m   
    System Type   X86-based PC   
    Processor   x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1495 Mhz   
    BIOS Version/Date   Dell Computer Corporation A16, 1/18/2005   
    SMBIOS Version   2.3   
    Windows Directory   C:\WINDOWS   
    System Directory   C:\WINDOWS\system32   
    Boot Device   \Device\HarddiskVolume2   
    Locale   United States   
    Hardware Abstraction Layer   Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"   
    User Name   ELLEN\Ellen   
    Time Zone   Eastern Standard Time   
    Total Physical Memory   512.00 MB   
    Available Physical Memory   91.52 MB   
    Total Virtual Memory   2.00 GB   
    Available Virtual Memory   1.91 GB   
    Page File Space   1.22 GB   
    Page File   C:\pagefile.sys   

blueheron222

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Internet Explorer can't load pages after trip to South Africa
      « Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 08:32:26 AM »
      Forgot to say that I have Internet Explorer 7. Thanks.

blueheron222

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 12:16:21 PM »
        More information--I think what I need to know is how to change the cache administrator or to change settings that were made by a cache administrator. I checked "sun.ac.za" and it is the web address for the university where I was working, so this seems pretty harmless. I went online through their wireless network (used Firefox without problem). But now that I'm back in the U.S., some setting have been changed that prevent me from using Internet Explorer. I didn't try to use it when I was there. Thanks again!

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 12:21:39 PM »
        My guess is that you may have been infected...what protection apps do you have on that machine ? ?
        DLoad all updates for them and run your scans.
        Report back (hopefully with a clean bill of Health)
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

blueheron222

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 12:34:56 PM »
          Thanks for the reply. I regularly run Adaware and Spybot S&D and have rerun those. With the continued problems and research online, I decided to downloaded AVG Anti-virus and Malwarebytes today and ran them. (My computer has been pretty slow anyway, so I really wanted to be sure I was digging out any spyware.) I'm still having the Explorer problem.

I went ahead and emailed the system administrator once I realized it corresponded to the university I visited. It seems like some security settings were changed on my computer when I was there visiting. I can't access the Apple iTunes store, which online reading tells me may be related to security settings too.

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 12:37:11 PM »
          AdAware and Spybot are old school - and neither is an anti virus utility. The current best of breed anti spyware utilities are MalwareBytes and Super AntiSpyware - but again, they are not anti virus utilities. You do have a resident AV, correct? And go ahead and run a scan with MalwareBytes.

blueheron222

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 01:20:16 PM »
            Thanks for the tip about Super AntiSpyware. Um, no, I do not have resident AV. Whenever I've installed something, my computer comes to a screeching halt. Any recommendations?

In the meantime, I have figured out my original problem and thought I should report back. The iTunes store and Internet Explorer problems were related since iTunes uses IE proxy settings to access the store. In Internet Options, connections, LAN settings, I had "use automatic configuration script" checked off and that had the South African address. So, I unchecked that and now IE and the iTunes store both work.

Back to work on protecting and speeding up my computer...

Thanks for the help!

Allan

• Mastermind
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 01:35:18 PM »
            I don't think anyone should run a system without a GOOD an utility resident. There are many good ones - my suggestion is you pick one, install it, and make sure it's always active.