Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: booting from my secondary drive  (Read 15533 times)

thedarknesswithin

booting from my secondary drive
« on: June 09, 2004, 12:48:15 PM »
Ok, i have an old pc that had win2k. i installed a second hard drive. a seagate 8gb hd. i installed winxp on the second harddrive, but when i wanted to remove my primary drive since i have winxp on the 2nd hard drive, i moved the jumpers and all that happens it powers up and displays press any key to restart. can anyone help me? do i have to put a new boot.ini or something? any suggestions. ??? :-/ :'(

merlin

Re: booting from my secondary drive
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 01:18:53 PM »
have a look here>http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm  all you needed to do what just swop over the ide cables and not the jumpers really but that history for ya...the settings are held in the bios thats why by moving the jumpers the bios has a problem try to boot from?

thedarknesswithin

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 11:33:14 AM »
yeah i know bout the jumper thing, i've left them by themselves and it only loads up to say: PRESS ANY KEY to restart. i had bought the drive  from ebay and ran it as a back up drive before. now i installed xp but it won't load the OS.

Joleen

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 11:43:32 AM »
Some systems boot off the disk that has the IDE1 attached.  Have you set the second drive up in the BIOS?

thedarknesswithin

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 11:49:33 AM »
no i dont think so.

when i remove the fisrt drive, the os doesnt load just resets, and i leave the old drive in and boots into xp which would be / is on my second drive.