Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 64bit java compiler!?  (Read 3883 times)

Boozu

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Familiar
64bit java compiler!?
« on: January 12, 2010, 11:25:05 PM »
First off this is for a class but it is not homework.

I had my first day of my Java programing class today and the instructor told the class to download this. The problem is that I have a 64bit machine. Is there ANY compiler that will run on 64bit? If it is not the exact same as the instructors will there be any compatibility issues when he runs it? If I can't do that, if I install the program the instructor gave me on my 32bit Linux machine will I have any problems when running on a windows machine?

Thanks

P.S. I have not gotten my book yet. If you can recamend a quick guide to show me the basics so that I can test what ever solution comes up that would be great.
Don't worry about it.  If it's not good at stock, then it's not good.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: 64bit java compiler!?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 11:43:14 PM »
use eclipse.

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/technology/epp/downloads/release/galileo/SR1/eclipse-jee-galileo-SR1-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz

by the way, the output is always the same java bytecode, regardless of wether the compiler/ide or whatever are 32-bit or 64-bit.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Boozu

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 11:58:48 PM »
Thanks BC. I'll let you know how it goes. I have to sleep now so I can get up for my 7:30 class.

Are all compilers mostly the same when it comes to layout and use, so it wont be to hard to figure out what I need to do if it is different then what my instructor gave me?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 12:07:23 AM »
Thanks BC. I'll let you know how it goes. I have to sleep now so I can get up for my 7:30 class.

Are all compilers mostly the same when it comes to layout and use, so it wont be to hard to figure out what I need to do if it is different then what my instructor gave me?

erm...

an "IDE" is what you use to write the code... the compiler is almost always a small command line program that the IDE calls. For example; Visual Basic 6 uses the C++ compiler (yeah, strange, I know); the java compiler is usually called "javac".

Personally I've never used Eclipse... I've always used netbeans. Not sure if that's on Linux though.

Either way, they will probably have different ways of doing things. but that's not the point; I would hope the class is about java and not the Development environment.

If you compile class files on your machine they should work perfectly fine on any other machine; compiled java is an intermediate bytecode, not machine code, so it's more generic. (this is what the java VM is for)

Boozu

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 07:23:38 PM »
It seems to be missing one crucial part... the executable. How do I compile the code that I wright if I have no way to enter it? Did I miss it?

EDIT
I should menchin that the only programing I have done is batch. That does not require a compiler so may be it does work but I just do not know how to use it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 08:39:23 PM by Boozu »

Boozu

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 01:07:34 AM »
I think I figured out what happend. You for what ever reason gave me the Linux version. I downloaded the windows version and ran the well known "Hello world" script. Thank you.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 01:10:41 AM »
I think I figured out what happend. You for what ever reason gave me the Linux version. I downloaded the windows version and ran the well known "Hello world" script. Thank you.

Oh... I thought you needed a linux version...

if I install the program the instructor gave me on my 32bit Linux machine

Also, Windows 64-bit can run 32-bit programs so there is no need to be "picky"... the compiler generates the same java bytecode either way.

Boozu

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 01:56:27 AM »
Oh... I thought you needed a Linux version...

I see how you were confused. I just meant as a last resort.

Also, Windows 64-bit can run 32-bit programs so there is no need to be "picky"... the compiler generates the same java bytecode either way.

I know that but with everyone (In my class) saying that there was not a 64bit compiler and then when I tried to download it, it would not download for some reason I thought it was true.

I will run eclipse buy my instructor to see what he thinks. It is really nice since it is portable.

Boozu

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »
I was using eclipse and then closed it. A few minutes later I tried to open it again and this popped up. What happend to make it stop working?

EDIT
It decided to start working again, but if you know why it stopped then please post so I can provent it in the future

[Saving space, attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 12:35:11 AM by Boozu »