Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't put icon in the taskbar  (Read 2688 times)

gil777t

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Can't put icon in the taskbar
    « on: January 02, 2010, 11:28:49 PM »
    hello everyone,
    I was arranging my icons on my taskbar and deleted them. I thought no big problem, I'll just drag them back from my desktop. I have the taskbar unlocked, and when I click on the handle to drag it to the right to make room for the icons it doesn't move. In the taskbar start menu, the quick launch doesn't stay checked. When I right click on the taskbar>tools> quick launch, I can't check the quick launch. I'm not having any issues. I did a system restore to no avail. That seldom works for anyone, but it seems we always do it. Obviously, I must have done something wrong, because when I deleted them, I deleted them all at once. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
    Best Regards,
    Gil777t

cruisin702

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Can't put icon in the taskbar
    « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 12:56:34 AM »
    Use the search box and search for "Quick Launch" (Use the quotation marks).It should be
     C:\users\(your username)\appdata\roaming\microsoft\internet explorer\quick launch
    This is the folder your shortcuts need to be in, drag them there, maybe that will help.

Edit: No need to drag them there, I just realized if you right click on a shorcut on your desktop there is an option to "Add to Quick Launch" . Just check to make sure you have the folder.

gil777t

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 02:09:45 PM »
      thanks Cruisin 702,
      The problem is I can't move the handle in the taskbar to allow them to be added. As stated in my post, I can't keep the quick launch checked in taskbar properties. But thank you for your reply. If you think of anything else, please post. I'm adept at security issues and never paid attention to software app. I wish I had. Got to go out and shovel snow. I hope it's warm where your at. Here it's 4 degree's
      Best Regards,
      gil777t

cruisin702

Hopeful

• Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 11:53:16 PM »
      Did you check to see if you have the quick launch folder still there? If not it can be copied from C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 07:53:24 AM »
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

gil777t

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 12:52:25 PM »
        Hi Patio,
        Happy New Year!
        I think once again you have helped saved the day. I'm posting on the link you provided and I'm sure they will be able to help. I'm going to mark this closed thanks to you. This was one of those little annoyances that was driving me nuts. Once again Patio, thank you very much.
        Best Regards,
        Gil777t