Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "Windows Explorer has stopped working" loop  (Read 5580 times)

julsey

Topic Starter

"Windows Explorer has stopped working" loop
    « on: January 03, 2010, 12:07:25 PM »
    Last night in the midst of trying to open a document to send to a friend, I get a pop up saying the above. I click it off, and it goes away....for a few seconds, then pops back up, over and over. I'm currently on the guest account, stuck with trying to figure out how to fix this. I've tried a system restore, which unfortunately did not work, my task manager is not working for me, and I've restarted my laptop countless times. I'm just wondering what I would need to do to get this message to keep from looping all the time?

you878

Rookie

Re: "Windows Explorer has stopped working" loop
      « Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 09:13:12 AM »
       Have you tried booting into safe mode? Usually this is done by pressing F8 repeatedly during boot-up until you are given a choice of what you want to boot into. Chooses Safe-Mode and see if the crash persists.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 09:18:11 AM »
      So the problem does not occur in the guest account? What happened just before the problem arose (new sw, error, virus, etc)?

julsey

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 09:30:54 AM »
        I've tried to boot it in safe mode, but every time I do, it pops up and goes away like the message i'm having problems with. I haven't had any recent problems, i've done multiple virus scans, so I'm not sure what could have caused it.

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 09:32:33 AM »
        So you can boot to a guest account but not to safe mode? Now that's odd. Have you run a scan with MalwareBytes and / or Super AntiSpyware in addition to your av?