Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CentOS, how good is this operating system?  (Read 7246 times)

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
CentOS, how good is this operating system?
« on: January 05, 2010, 11:01:06 PM »
How's it compare to ubuntu or fedora?

Ironman

Hopeful
  • Virtus, Veneratio, Fidelitas
    • Yes
    • My Personal Site
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: CentOS, how good is this operating system?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 07:27:35 PM »
All of them are all most the same, CentOS uses recycled code made available to them from Red Hat, but Red Hat is not officially affiliated with them. Fedora is fully sponsored by Red Hat and it has the 2nd largest community after Unbuntu. But both Unbuntu and Fedora are affiliated with actual companies, Canonical for Unbuntu and Red Hat for Fedora unlike CentOS, which helps with updates and error management. I personally prefer Unbuntu because the community is larger and with my experience I had great error help from the community and because Ubuntu offers several different distributions like Kunbuntu and Xubuntu. But Linus Torvalds, author of the Linux kernel, says he uses Fedora. But it really doesn't matter because they have very similar characteristics.

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 11:14:59 PM »
so basically CentOS is an independent fork of the Red Hat Linux?

I heard Ubuntu was one of the better linuxes if you wanted more of a GUI interface rather than having to use the terminal commands so much ....

ubermensch

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 11:49:22 PM »
    I'm fixing a laptop for my brother right now, and I decided to force him to learn linux by installing Linux Mint along side his XP. It seems pretty nice. It has a highly customized version of gnome, which makes it somewhat more unique looking than other distros that use standard desktop environments. Also it's based on ubuntu and supposedly one of the most user-friendly of distros along with pclinuxos.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 12:39:56 AM »
    so basically CentOS is an independent fork of the Red Hat Linux?

I heard Ubuntu was one of the better linuxes if you wanted more of a GUI interface rather than having to use the terminal commands so much ....

All the big distros have GUIs. Generally it comes down to KDE or Gnome. Ubuntu has go a reputation because it has been aimed at people who are used to Windows.

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
    « Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 11:47:02 AM »
    All the big distros have GUIs. Generally it comes down to KDE or Gnome. Ubuntu has go a reputation because it has been aimed at people who are used to Windows.

So Ubuntu would be the most windows-like linux distro out there?  :)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 12:22:40 PM »
    So Ubuntu would be the most windows-like linux distro out there?  :)

Some people say so.

ubermensch

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 12:34:39 PM »
      I find Linux Mint and PCLinuxOS to have indisputably the most Windows-like menu and default interfaces. They're still just gnome and kde, respectively, customized with the distributions own patchsets.

TheUnixGuy

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 10:06:42 AM »
        Hello,

In my opinion, Ubuntu goes for novices who are used to Windows. In a professional environment, I would go for Gentoo since I control what I want.

Your distro choice depends on where and how you are going to use it and how skilled you are.

CentOS is aimed towards a business environment most likely to be operated by a Sysadmin rather than a just evolved Windows user while Ubuntu is better user friendly.

When it rains, most birds head for shelter; Eagle is the only bird that flies above the clouds to avoid rain.