Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Yahoo! Mail causing problems  (Read 5652 times)

MaryE

Topic Starter

Starter

Yahoo! Mail causing problems
    « on: December 29, 2009, 06:08:56 PM »
    I have Windows Vista Home Premium Edition and am using Yahoo! Mail for my emails. But the ads on the right side of my screen are so terribly annoying and they seem to be crowding me, leaving me with very little space to type my email messages. Any suggestions on how to get rid of these annoying Yahoo! Mail ads? Does anyone else use Yahoo! Mail and know what I'm talking about? Thanks.
    MaryE

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
      Re: Yahoo! Mail causing problems
      « Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 01:36:46 AM »
      first use firefox then get adblocker plus and try that

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 09:15:51 AM »
      I have a Yahoo! Mail account.  I'm logged on to it now.  Yes, an add on the right side of the page consumes about 1 1/2 inch of space on my 19" widescreen monitor set a resolution of 1680 x 1050.  I don't really see it as being overbearing. 

What size monitor and resolution setting are you using?  Do you maximize the browser window when viewing your email? 

I'm not sure unlovedwarrior's suggestion will produce the results you want. It would suppress the ads but I believe it does not free up the space that would normally show an ad; it just creates a blank space there.

MaryE

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 01:56:34 PM »
        To Soybean and unlovedwarrior...thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm not too sure about ad blocker plus and wonder if the problem might not be with Yahoo! Mail itself. Soybean, did you say you were logged on to Yahoo! Mail and you could see the ads as you typed your email message? I have another computer that runs Windows XP Pro and uses Yahoo! Mail Classic but when I type my emails there are no ads at all. So that's why I'm wondering if the problem isn't a difference between Yahoo! Mail and Yahoo! Mail Classic, which DOES seem to prevent the ads. My Windows XP computer has a 17" Plug & Play monitor on RADEON 7200 Family with a screen resolution of 1280x960. I'll have to check my Windows Vista PC for its monitor size and screen resolution. All I know is that the annoying ads with Yahoo! Mail are crowding my space for typing my emails. I do maximize my browser window when typing my messages. Any thoughts on Yahoo! Mail Classic's ability to block out ads? Thanks again, friends, for your assistance.   ::)
        MaryE

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 03:10:42 PM »
        Here's a link showing what I see when I compose a message using Firefox on my Windows Vista latop:
        http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/farmpond/forums/YahooMail-1.jpg.  As you can see, there are no adds at all on the right side of the window; that area shows the options for selecting stationery.  I am using the current version of Yahoo! Mail, not Classic.

MaryE

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 08:47:45 PM »
          Soybean:

I can't thank you enough for the great photo! Not only are there NO ads on the right side of the window but you obviously have plenty of room to type your email messages. Do you think a simple upgrade to the current version of Yahoo! Mail on my Windows Vista computer would give me the same view (or at least a similar one) and get rid of those annoying ads that are so bothersome now? Perhaps I'm using an older version of Yahoo! Mail. I think I might give it a try and see what happens. If you can, please reply. And thanks again so much.

MaryE

cruisin702

Hopeful

• Yes
          « Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 10:39:03 PM »
          I don't know why you are seeing ads on the right while writing mail messages. I don't have any adds either. Maybe it's because of some application/add-on that soybean or I don't have. There is a link under the subject line to hide the stationary that will give you a little more room. You can also switch to the classic mail by clicking on "options" at the top right.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 11:04:38 PM »
          Probably has every toolbar under the Sun installed...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

2x3i5x

Expert
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 11:36:02 PM »
          For me, no ads either, I've tested internet explorer 8 and I don't have any ad block utility associated with internet explorer (Except if IE came with something built in that I don't know).

MaryE, can you post a screenshot of what you see? I'm wondering why you're different when 3 people already confirm the same thing.

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 09:35:30 AM »
          Do you think a simple upgrade to the current version of Yahoo! Mail on my Windows Vista computer would give me the same view (or at least a similar one) and get rid of those annoying ads that are so bothersome now?
          I believe some clarification on how Yahoo! Mail works is needed here.  Whether you use Yahoo! Mail Classic or the regular version is not something determined by your particular computer, it's something determined by your preference settings in your Yahoo account and those settings reside on Yahoo's web server, not your computer.  In other words, if you're currently using Yahoo! Mail Classic and you use a different computer to logon to your Yahoo! Mail account, you'll still see it in Yahoo! Mail Classic because that preference is associated with your Yahoo! Mail account which keeps it's settings on the Internet, not on your computer.  Does that make sense?

I don't know why you're seeing ads when, as 2x3i5x said:

For me, no ads either, I've tested internet explorer 8 and I don't have any ad block utility associated with internet explorer (Except if IE came with something built in that I don't know).

can you post a screenshot of what you see? I'm wondering why you're different when 3 people already confirm the same thing.
          If you're not familiar with the technique for capturing a screen print, here's a reference: http://www.seoconsultants.com/windows/print-screen/

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 10:01:09 AM »
          Just to "ad" my money, I do have ads on the right hand side.

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 12:41:34 PM »
          Just to "ad" my money, I do have ads on the right hand side.
          kpac, just to be perfectly clear, do you mean when viewing the Inbox, or when composing a message?  As I previously said, I see an ad on the right column of the browser window when viewing Inbox but, when I start to compose a new message, that space that displayed an ad while viewing Inbox changes to show the stationery options for composing messages.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 01:25:40 PM »
          No, not if composing a message.

leaving me with very little space to type my email messages
          Sorry, I never saw the word "type".

Possible adware?

MaryE

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 02:18:32 PM »
            With a simple change of screen resolution and moving the taskbar that was lining the the left side of the screen to its normal horizontal position across the bottom I believe I have greatly minimized my problem. Now when I type my emails my Yahoo! Mail screen looks exactly like the photo Soybean provided, with the stationery at the right instead of those awful ads. So far so good. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I checked and don't think any applications or add-ons are involved. As for "possible adware?," Yahoo! probably has a right to impose a fair share of ads. But it is a free email server and as long as I see this vast improvement I can certainly put up with some ads. Thank you to everyone for their input.

MaryE  :)

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes