Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Question on how to get emails from certain people to go in a certain location?  (Read 18969 times)

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Ok. Whatever.

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
No, early 90's I've had one of my accounts for.
Even when I use Outlook Express though, we still have to be connected to the Internet to get the email. The address is just another way we can read the email.
No, you didn't use it in the early 90's.  It simply didn't exist then.  In the early 90's the internet was text based and definetely didn't support web based email.
Evil is an exact science.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
  • Experience: Familiar
I don't understand what you mean about text based email.
Isn't any email we type out. We are typing right now, it is text that I am typing right now. I hit the letters and numbers on the keyboard and it shows up in the box that I am typing it in. I hit send, and it sends the email to the person we are sending it to.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Services like AOL,  Gmail,  Haotmal, Yahoo mail offer what we call "webmail" becuae the mail stays on the server.
A client that we call a POP email client would be like Eudora,  Outlook Express, Sea Monkey or Thunderbird.
These clients can be set to read from most of the 'web mail' systems.
Here is a simple tutorial about how it is done in gmail.
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13273
The advantage of a POP client is that youmay find it easier to customize the filters to your linking.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
Ok, I found out what I have. It's Webmail then.
I'm looking at these instructions but don't seem to have these functions in my account.
It's talking about forwarding emails to addresses. I don't want to forward anything. I just want mail that is coming into my account to go to certain folders and not just in the inbox or the spam folder which some keep going into. Also, I kept having a weird issue where emails people were trying to send me kept getting blocked and they told me I need to somehow configure it to accept emails from them, which I don't know how to do any of that. They had to call our ISP for us and they did something to get it to work, but I don't know what since I didn't talk to them, they did.

Sorry though if we get confused at times what some people are talking about. I don't know if it's because you are talking about a cellphone, mobile phone, iphone, stuff like that which we don't use.
But yes, have had the Internet since early 90's and the only way we know of to do anything is to connect to the internet. My dad passed away in the late 90's and he was a computer programmer which is how we got involved with having computers and the internet. Even with Outlook Express, we can't get our email unless we are connected to the Internet. If we unplug the router or modem, and try and open Outlook Express it would not work.

My sister keeps saying not to use Outlook Express because it sucks it out of the server and wont be there anymore. Plus if you are using a different computer, then it would just go in that computer. We also have things setup so that it stays on the server so that my mom can read it to in her account.

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
With webmail you can't assign it any rules to get the mail to go into a special folder when you receive it.  You must move it yourself with webmail.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
Then why did you all ask if I have webmail? I don't understand.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
Ok, I have Pop mail, but I still don't know how to do it.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
Just found something, but not sure exactly if is Filters what is called that I'm doing?
If I go into something called Mail Options:
Here is a list of things there-
General
Signature
Spam
Filters
Pop & Forwarding
Vacation Response
Contact Options
Colors
Calendar
Notepad
Account Information

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
Ok, I have Pop mail, but I still don't know how to do it.
Which email client is it that you have?  It can vary from software to software.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
I'm still not 100% sure what to call it but here is something I'll copy and paste what I'm reading here-
"You are allowed up to 200 filters."
Then if I click on this link below that message that says create or edit filters
here is something else that comes up- "Mobile Device User: You can now forward e-mail from your AT&T Yahoo! Mail account to your pager or cell phone. Register your device to get started."

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
Is this for email on a phone or computer?

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
Computer

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
Okay, now what is the name of the email software that you want to use?

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
The one that came with our ISP, Bellsouth, which I guess is now called At&t.