Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can't get computer to start in anything  (Read 15988 times)

bmacgurk

Topic Starter

Beginner

• MARVIN MARTIAN WOULD BE PROUD
    can't get computer to start in anything
    « on: June 27, 2005, 12:57:00 PM »
    i get adisk error occured insert a system diskette and restart the system. i've tried everything i can think of to resolve this problem i know that the hard drive regesters on the bios when i go to setup everything looks ok the hard drive last i used it has windows 2000 and me on it please help me solve this problem

merlin_2

Re: can't get computer to start in anything
    « Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 01:12:42 PM »
    take the floppy disk out......on boot up hold down the f8 key  and chose the last good config...option
    « Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 01:13:22 PM by merlin_2 »

bmacgurk

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 01:18:42 PM »
      tried that get keyboard error 42-301

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 01:25:12 PM »
      so what is it doing ........with out the boot floppy disk in the drive....does it pass post......
      « Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 01:25:36 PM by merlin_2 »

bmacgurk

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 02:09:49 PM »
        no  it comes up with f1 boot in blue . press f1 and i get the same message again. how would i wipe out the memory in order to try the bootdisk would this work and how would i do it just a thought .

bmacgurk

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 02:16:14 PM »
        is this an erb disk.....load the win2k disk and do a repair?>http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm    the instructions are the same for win2k! you dual-boot......did you make a copy from the partition manager.....rescue disk.....

bmacgurk

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 02:29:46 PM »
          what is an erb and no at the time i didn't but i have 2000 on another comp that i made an emergency disk for tried that and got the same result

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 02:34:13 PM »
          what the make of this drive......did you partition this drive on the fly
          « Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 02:38:28 PM by merlin_2 »

bmacgurk

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 03:52:57 PM »
            still getting the same thing is there anything else that i can try

bmacgurk

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 04:08:48 PM »
              the hard drive is a western digital 23200 enhanced ied hd model-ac23200-60lc 3.2gb  i had fdisk and formated the hard drive before want to re fdisk and format to put 98se on a simple os for my daughterbut can't get it to do anything . it in a compaq deskpro en series computer. should i try to set it for a slave on another comp and try to fdisk and format it there its the only thing i haven't tried yet.

bmacgurk

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 04:17:55 PM »
              ok i ave got it. :D....my fault never read the post properly....
              its a laptop.drive.wd clunks at bit ....but its ok...you will need a win98 boot disk from> http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htmget  the one which comes with cdrom drivers.....load it at the A:\> type sys /c    it should dispslay a message system transfered......now load the win98 disk....is will  do the rest..or a short cut boot it up and hold down either of these keys F10 /DEL  bios setup and change the boot sequence to boot from cdrom drive...  

The error before was because is was a win2k boot disk....<i should have read your post more> ;)More info if needed>>>http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000569.htm                   (i hate mondays!!!)
              « Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 04:26:14 PM by merlin_2 »

bmacgurk

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2005, 12:50:33 PM »
                merlin,
                           thats not the problem i can't change the setup ,it won't run the post for me to see what bios it is and it won't let me change the boot order this not a laptop comp its a desk top. i bought this at a yard sale and been tring to access it for a couple of days the hard drive was one thta i had made extra in case i had one that failed i get disk failare and non system disk insert system disk and restart.can't change the boot order won't let me. please help me find some answers been to compaq and western digital phenix and award nothing help!!!!!!!!!!
                                                            bmacgurk

merlin_2

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2005, 02:00:25 PM »
                download a win98 boot disk>>http://www.bootdisk.com/   the one which comes with cdrom drivers.....load it at the A:\> type sys /c    it should display a message system transfered......now load the win98 disk read more here if you  need to>>>>>.....dont forget to take the boot floppy back out of the drive......there will no need to change the boot sequence if you do this.....ok
                « Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 02:01:58 PM by merlin_2 »

Mac

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2005, 02:04:18 PM »
                How is the CMOS battery and is the drive being seen in the BIOS?