Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Moving many files up one directory level  (Read 34178 times)

cameronyoung

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Moving many files up one directory level
    « Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 12:21:02 AM »
    Hi Salmon,

Possibly, but that still doesn't do anything, unless I remove the "REM", in which case it deletes everything and just leaves me with two empty directories:

S:\MUSIC\dalek vs faust\
    S:\MUSIC\mazzy star\

I'm running it from S:\MUSIC\test.bat.

Hope you can help. Thanks.

oldun

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 01:51:36 PM »
    It may be easier to use VBScript.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 02:07:44 PM »
    It may be easier to use VBScript.

O ye of little faith...

Code: [Select]
    @echo off
    set thisdir=%cd%
    for /f "delims=" %%A in ('dir /b /ad') do (
        cd /d "%%~dpnA"
        for /f "delims=" %%B in ('dir /b /ad') do (
             echo Level 2 Directory: %%~dpnB
             cd /d "%%~dpnB"
             for /f "delims=" %%C in ('dir /b /ad') do (
              echo Level 3 Directory: %%~dpnC
              cd /d "%%~dpnC"
              move *.mp3 ..\
              cd..
              rd "%%~dpnC"
             )
        )
    )
    cd /d "%thisdir%

Run in S:\Music

Before...

S:\music>dir /b /s /a-d
    S:\music\subtest.bat
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\I Am A Bird Now\01 - Hope There's Someone.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\I Am A Bird Now\02 - My Lady Story.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\I Am A Bird Now\03 - For Today I Am A Boy.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\I Am A Bird Now\04 - Man Is The Baby.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\I Am A Bird Now\05 - You Are My Sister.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\I Am A Bird Now\06 - What Can I Do.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\I Am A Bird Now\07 - Fistfull Of Love.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\I Am A Bird Now\08 - Spiralling.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\I Am A Bird Now\09 - Free At Last.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\I Am A Bird Now\10 - Bird Guhl.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\Selftitled\01 - i fell in love with a dead boy.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\Selftitled\02 - mysteries of love.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\Selftitled\03 - hitler in my heart.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\Selftitled\04 - atrocities.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\Selftitled\05 - river of sorrow.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\Selftitled\06 - rapture.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\Selftitled\07 - deeper than love.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\Selftitled\08 - divine.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\Selftitled\09 - blue angel.mp3

After...

S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\01 - Hope There's Someone.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\01 - i fell in love with a dead boy.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\02 - My Lady Story.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\02 - mysteries of love.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\03 - For Today I Am A Boy.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\03 - hitler in my heart.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\04 - atrocities.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\04 - Man Is The Baby.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\05 - river of sorrow.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\05 - You Are My Sister.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\06 - rapture.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\06 - What Can I Do.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\07 - deeper than love.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\07 - Fistfull Of Love.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\08 - divine.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\08 - Spiralling.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\09 - blue angel.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\09 - Free At Last.mp3
    S:\music\Test\Antony and the Johnsons\10 - Bird Guhl.mp3

cameronyoung

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 05:14:45 PM »
      Hey Salmon!!

This doesn't seem to loop through the directories for me. It works on the first directory, and then says "The system cannot find the path specified." This is the output (sorry it's so long):

S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night\01 - fleetwo
      od mac - big love.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night\02 - fleetwo
      od mac - seven wonders.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night\03 - fleetwo
      od mac - everywhere.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night\04 - fleetwo
      od mac - caroline.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night\05 - fleetwo
      od mac - tango in the night.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night\06 - fleetwo
      od mac - mystified.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night\07 - fleetwo
      od mac - little lies.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night\08 - fleetwo
      od mac - family man.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night\09 - fleetwo
      od mac - welcome to the room...sara.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night\10 - fleetwo
      od mac - isn't it midnight.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night\11 - fleetwo
      od mac - when i see you again.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night\12 - fleetwo
      od mac - you and i, part ii.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1990 - behind the mask\fleetwood mac behind the mask v0\0
      1-skies the limit.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1990 - behind the mask\fleetwood mac behind the mask v0\0
      2-love is dangerous.mp3
      3-in the back of my mind.mp3
      4-do you know.mp3
      5-save me.mp3
      6-affairs of the heart.mp3
      7-when the sun goes down.mp3
      8-behind the mask.mp3
      9-stand on the rock.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1990 - behind the mask\fleetwood mac behind the mask v0\1
      0-hard feelings.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1990 - behind the mask\fleetwood mac behind the mask v0\1
      1-freedom.mp3
      2-when it comes to love.mp3
      3-the second time.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1995 - time\fleetwood mac - time (1995)\fleetwood mac - 0
      1 - talkin' to my heart.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1995 - time\fleetwood mac - time (1995)\fleetwood mac - 0
      2 - hollywood (some other kind of town).mp3
      3 - blow by blow.mp3
      4 - winds of change.mp3
      5 - i do.mp3
      6 - nothing without you.mp3
      7 - dreamin' the dream.mp3
      8 - sooner or later.mp3
      9 - i wonder why.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1995 - time\fleetwood mac - time (1995)\fleetwood mac - 1
      0 - nights in estoril.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1995 - time\fleetwood mac - time (1995)\fleetwood mac - 1
      1 - i got it for you.mp3
      2 - all over again.mp3
      3 - these strange times.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\2003 - say you will\fleetwood mac - say you will - ltd ed
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-01 what's the world coming to.mp
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\2003 - say you will\fleetwood mac - say you will - ltd ed
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-02 murrow turning over in his gr
      ave.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-03 illume (9-11).mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-04 thrown down.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-05 miranda.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-06 red rover.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-07 say you will.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-08 peacekeeper.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-09 come.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-10 smile at you.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-11 running through the garden.mp
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-12 silver girl.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-13 steal your heart away.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-14 bleed to love her.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-15 everybody finds out.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-16 destiny rules.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-17 say goodbye.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-18 goodbye baby.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 2)\2-01 love minus zero_no limit (liv
      e version).mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 2)\2-02 not make believe (live versio
      n).mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 2)\2-03 peacekeeper (live from aol se
      ssions).mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 2)\2-04 say you will (live from aol s
      essions).mp3

S:\music>subtest.bat
      Level 2 Directory: S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night
      Level 3 Directory: S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the
       night
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night\01 - fleetwo
      od mac - big love.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night\02 - fleetwo
      od mac - seven wonders.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night\03 - fleetwo
      od mac - everywhere.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night\04 - fleetwo
      od mac - caroline.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night\05 - fleetwo
      od mac - tango in the night.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night\06 - fleetwo
      od mac - mystified.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night\07 - fleetwo
      od mac - little lies.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night\08 - fleetwo
      od mac - family man.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night\09 - fleetwo
      od mac - welcome to the room...sara.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night\10 - fleetwo
      od mac - isn't it midnight.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night\11 - fleetwo
      od mac - when i see you again.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night\12 - fleetwo
      od mac - you and i, part ii.mp3
             12 file(s) moved.
      Level 2 Directory: S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\1990 - behin
      d the mask
      The system cannot find the path specified.
      Level 2 Directory: S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\1995 - time
      Level 2 Directory: S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\2003 - say y
      ou will

S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\01 - fleetwood mac - big love.m
      p3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\02 - fleetwood mac - seven wond
      ers.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\03 - fleetwood mac - everywhere
      .mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\04 - fleetwood mac - caroline.m
      p3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\05 - fleetwood mac - tango in t
      he night.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\06 - fleetwood mac - mystified.
      mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\07 - fleetwood mac - little lie
      s.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\08 - fleetwood mac - family man
      .mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\09 - fleetwood mac - welcome to
       the room...sara.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\10 - fleetwood mac - isn't it m
      idnight.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\11 - fleetwood mac - when i see
       you again.mp3
      S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\12 - fleetwood mac - you and i,
       part ii.mp3
      1-skies the limit.mp3
      2-love is dangerous.mp3
      3-in the back of my mind.mp3
      4-do you know.mp3
      5-save me.mp3
      6-affairs of the heart.mp3
      7-when the sun goes down.mp3
      8-behind the mask.mp3
      9-stand on the rock.mp3
      0-hard feelings.mp3
      1-freedom.mp3
      2-when it comes to love.mp3
      3-the second time.mp3
      1 - talkin' to my heart.mp3
      2 - hollywood (some other kind of town).mp3
      3 - blow by blow.mp3
      4 - winds of change.mp3
      5 - i do.mp3
      6 - nothing without you.mp3
      7 - dreamin' the dream.mp3
      8 - sooner or later.mp3
      9 - i wonder why.mp3
      0 - nights in estoril.mp3
      1 - i got it for you.mp3
      2 - all over again.mp3
      3 - these strange times.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-01 what's the world coming to.mp
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-02 murrow turning over in his gr
      ave.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-03 illume (9-11).mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-04 thrown down.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-05 miranda.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-06 red rover.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-07 say you will.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-08 peacekeeper.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-09 come.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-10 smile at you.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-11 running through the garden.mp
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-12 silver girl.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-13 steal your heart away.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-14 bleed to love her.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-15 everybody finds out.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-16 destiny rules.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-17 say goodbye.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 1)\1-18 goodbye baby.mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 2)\2-01 love minus zero_no limit (liv
      e version).mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 2)\2-02 not make believe (live versio
      n).mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 2)\2-03 peacekeeper (live from aol se
      ssions).mp3
      ition\say you will (limited edition - disc 2)\2-04 say you will (live from aol s
      essions).mp3

S:\music>

Also, I noticed if there are non MP3 files in the directory from which the MP3s are moved, the directory won't be deleted? Is it possible to make it delete the directory and any non-MP3 files?

Thank you so much!!

oldun

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 08:47:05 PM »
      O ye of little faith...
      It's not so much "little faith" as limited knowledge/experience with batch scripts.  :-[

This VBScript code might (hopefully) work.

Option Explicit
      Dim base,ext,debug,dest,oShell,fso,olog
      Dim i,oExec,oOut,fldrs,j,fls,k,ret,f2del
      ' ****************************
      ' AMEND AS NECESSARY
      base="S:\MUSIC" '<- CHANGE THIS TO THE BASE FOLDER
      ext=".mp3" '<- CHANGE THIS TO THE REQUIRED EXTENSION
      ' CHANGE THE DEBUG VALUE TO 0 TO PERFORM THE ACTIONS
      ' When debug=1, a log file (MoveUp.log) will be created.
      ' Verify that everything appears OK, then change this value
      ' to 0, and run the script to actually move the files and
      ' delete the remaining folders.
      debug=1 '<- CHANGE THIS TO 0 IF ALL APPEARS OK
      ' ****************************
      If Right(base,1)="\" Then
      base=Left(base,Len(base) -1)
      End If
      If Left(ext,1)<>"." Then
      ext="." & ext
      End If
      dest=Split(getDestFldrs(base),vbCrLf)
      Set oShell=CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
      Set fso=CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
      Set olog=fso.CreateTextFile(Left(WScript.ScriptFullName, _
      Len(WScript.ScriptFullName) -3) & "Log", True)
      If debug then
      olog.WriteLine("Destination Folders:")
      For i=0 To UBound(dest) -1
      olog.WriteLine(dest(i))
      Next
      olog.WriteLine()
      End If
      For i=0 To UBound(dest) -1
      Set oExec=oShell.Exec("Cmd /C Dir /S /B /AD " & Chr(34) & dest(i) & Chr(34))
      Set oOut=oExec.StdOut
      fldrs=Split(oOut.ReadAll,vbCrLf)
      If UBound(fldrs)>0 Then
      If debug Then
      olog.WriteLine("The following files will be moved to:")
      olog.WriteLine(dest(i)&vbCrLf)
      End If
      End If
      For j=0 To UBound(fldrs) -1
      If debug Then
      Set oExec=oShell.Exec("Cmd /C Dir /B " & Chr(34) & fldrs(j) & "\*" & ext & Chr(34))
      Set oOut=oExec.StdOut
      fls=Split(oOut.ReadAll,vbCrLf)
      For k=0 To UBound(fls) -1
      olog.WriteLine(fldrs(j) & "\" & fls(k))
      Next
      Else
      ret=oShell.Run("Cmd /C Move /Y " & Chr(34) & fldrs(j) & "\*" & ext & Chr(34) & " " & Chr(34) & dest(i) & "\" & Chr(34),0,True)
      If ret then
      WScript.Echo "ERROR! MOVING FILES"
      End If
      End If
      Next
      Set oExec=oShell.Exec("Cmd /C Dir /B /AD " & Chr(34) & dest(i) & Chr(34))
      Set oOut=oExec.StdOut
      f2del=Split(oOut.ReadAll, vbCrLf)
      If debug Then
      If UBound(f2del)>0 Then
      olog.WriteLine(vbCrLf & "The following directories (and subdirectories), below the folder:" & vbCrLf & dest(i) & vbCrLf & "will be removed:")
      End If
      End If
      For j=0 To UBound(f2del) -1
      If debug Then
      olog.WriteLine(f2del(j))
      Else
      ret=oshell.Run("Cmd /C RD /Q /S " & Chr(34) & dest(i) & "\" & f2del(j) & Chr(34),0,True)
      If ret Then
      Wscript.Echo "ERROR! REMOVING FOLDER"
      End If
      End If
      Next
      olog.WriteLine()
      Next
      WScript.echo "Done!"
      ' ***** END OF SCRIPT *****
      Function getDestFldrs(sPath)
      Dim fso, fldr, sFldr, dest
      dest=""
      Set fso=WScript.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
      With fso.GetFolder(sPath)
      If .SubFolders.Count>0 Then
      For Each fldr In .SubFolders
      With fso.GetFolder(fso.BuildPath(sPath, fldr.Name))
      If .SubFolders.Count>0 Then
      For Each sFldr In .SubFolders
      dest=dest & fso.BuildPath(fso.BuildPath(sPath,fldr.Name),sfldr.Name) & vbCrLf
      Next
      End If
      End With
      Next
      End If
      End With
      getDestFldrs=dest
      End Function

cameronyoung

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 02:26:04 AM »
        Thanks Olden, but how do I create a VBScript? In Excel? Sorry.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 02:39:33 AM »
        Hey Salmon!!

This doesn't seem to loop through the directories for me. It works on the first directory, and then says "The system cannot find the path specified."

That is because, to get the required folder depth shown in your first post, you should have run it in S:\Music\Fleetwood Mac, not S:\Music as your post shows. Your example in your first post has one less folder level than your Fleetwood Mac setup.

oldun

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 02:43:39 AM »
        Copy and paste the code into Notepad, and save the file anywhere on your hard disk, using any name you like (I used MoveUp), but make sure that you save it with an extension of .VBS

Then open a command prompt window and run it the same way as a .CMD or .BAT file. i.e. type the filename in the command shell and press enter.

cameronyoung

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 04:06:15 AM »
          OLDUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!  YOU ARE GOING TO SAVE MY *SO MUCH* TIME!!!!

Without being rude, could I ask if it would be very difficult to alter the script slightly so that it did exactly what it did now except instead of moving files "up one directory" it moved all the files to the Nth directory.

I.E. so that say you had:

S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night (v0)\disk 1\*.mp3 --> i.e. 5 dirs
          S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\tango in the night (v0)\disk 2\*.mp3 --> i.e. 5 dirs
          S:\music\fleetwood mac\1990 - behind the mask\behind the mask (v0)\*.mp3 --> i.e. 4 dirs
          S:\music\fleetwood mac\1995 - time\time (v0)\*.mp3 --> i.e. 4 dirs
          S:\music\fleetwood mac\2003 - say you will\*.mp3 --> i.e. 3 dirs

Could you make it so that it did everything it did now but just moved them to like the 3rd directory level? So that you ended up with:

S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\*.mp3 --> i.e. 3 dirs
          S:\music\fleetwood mac\1987 - tango in the night\*.mp3 --> i.e. 3 dirs
          S:\music\fleetwood mac\1990 - behind the mask\*.mp3 --> i.e. 3 dirs
          S:\music\fleetwood mac\1995 - time\*.mp3 --> i.e. 3 dirs
          S:\music\fleetwood mac\2003 - say you will\*.mp3 --> i.e. 3 dirs

Is that something VBScript can do?  THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! DON'T WORRY IF IT'S A BIG DEAL!!!!!

oldun

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 04:20:33 AM »
          That's what it should be doing.

If it doesn't, set the "debug" line to 1, and post a portion of the output to show where it's going wrong.

It's late here, so I may not look at it until tomorrow.

cameronyoung

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 04:24:37 AM »
            You're totally right that's even better!!!!!!!!!!  THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!!!!

[SOLVED]

oldun

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 04:41:37 AM »
            You are welcome. Glad I was able to help.

Chanimal

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2010, 10:20:41 AM »
              HELP!!

Oldun,

I want to do something like Cameron's request, but a little different.......

I have this directory that I use to store all my media for itunes, I call is the (Music)M:

In there, itunes has organized it through Artist\Album\Title.mp3

I want to so a wholesale clean up of each Title.mp3's naming structure as well as ID3 tags

To begin this, I want to extract every .mp3 file out of each and every folders in all the levels of filing up to the root M:\ level.

I tried running that VBS script you posted earlier, it didn't work.  It kicked out some line 82 character 2 error.  Do I have to save it to the M:\, and then use Start --> Run to run it in M:\ to have it work?  I suspect the script you wrote does not strip the filing levels to the root level, as Cameron did not ask for that.

Would you mind dispensing some advice my way?

oldun

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
              I tried running that VBS script you posted earlier, it didn't work.

This script was written to perform a very specific set of actions. It is not a generic "file move" script, so it is not surprising that it didn't work.

Please explain exactly what you are trying to achieve, preferably by showing some examples, and I or someone else on this forum will try to help, if we can.

By the way, you should start a new thread, and not hijack someone else's post.