Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Post and BIOS not comming up  (Read 31056 times)

dutty

Post and BIOS not comming up
« on: June 10, 2004, 10:59:43 AM »
i just built a pc with a sk8v mobo from asus, amd fx53, 2 sticks of 512 ram, 2 SATA harddrives for RAID 0 ,geforece fx5900. soundblaster auidgy.
When i boot it up for the first time everything runs fine. Thiers a green light on the mobo. all the fans run fine. ext but i don't think it does the Power on self test. I hold delete like the manual says to get into BIOS but nuthing happens, the whole time the monitor is blank. At first i thought because the mobo only takes 1.5v agp cards that mine card was a 3.3 but pny( where i got my card) says all thier cards work in 1.5 or 3.3. DO i have to change anything on the card or is it autmatic? i didn't see any jumpers. but even still the montior is blank, if thier is nuthing going to it then it should have a box that says check signal. so i have no idea whats wrong. any help would be appriciated.

dutty

Re: Post and BIOS not comming up
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 11:01:38 AM »
sory for double post

Joleen

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 11:41:30 AM »
Any beeps?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 01:12:28 PM »
    dutty.....several things.....
    first......which dimm slots have you installed the 2 512 sticks of ram into ......
    2nd.......the board specs ........say it doesnt support a 3.3 v AGP card .........( you may want to check that out ) it may be your problem , regardless of what the guy that sold you the AGP said.
    Do you have a PCI vid card that you could try just to see if the rest of your Mb ok ......( with the AGP vid card removed )

let us know

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

dutty

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 01:27:30 PM »
    no beeps, ram is registered and in slots 1 and 3 like the manual states.
    it's pny's website that stated their cards are 1.5 and 3.3
    i wish i hada pci vid card to try but don't

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 01:37:59 PM »
      dutty.....Is this the board your using ?.....
      http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=SK8V&langs=09

Have you contacted Asus to see if that vid card you have will work in their board regardless of what your being told ?
      Are you sure the onboard diagnostic speaker is connected correctly?

let us know

dl65  ???

dutty

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 02:17:33 PM »
      I disconected everything, reseated the ram and turned it on with just the video card in place and got the BIOs and everything works fine know. w00t. i went back and conected everything back up and it still works but i have a new problem. I place the windows cd in and it says to press f6 to install RIAD or SCSI drivers. i am setting up a RAID 0 array and already have the drivers on a floppy so i hit f6 but nuthing happens. I've hit it, held it, tried 2 different keyboards. restarted and then hit f6 over and over even before the windows setup came up. It just doesn't want me to install those drivers.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 02:54:37 PM »
        dutty....what windows system are you trying to load....
        Can you not install the operating system ?

let us know

dl65  ???

dutty

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 03:23:22 PM »
        windows xp home with service pack 1.a. windows sarts to install but then  it says " setup was unable to load support for hte mass storage device . to specify additianl scsi adapter cd rom or special disk controlers for use with windows. ext press s
        if you do not have any device support discks from a mass storage device manuafcutre or do not want to specify additianl mass storage device for use iwth windows press enter. i hit s and try to install the raid drivers and this comes up: you have chosen to configure a scsi adapter for use iwth windows, select the scsi adatper you want from the following list.
        via serial atat raid controller (windows 2003 ia32/ or xp or 200 or nt 4.) i hit xp and get this error" file \sata\winxp\viasraid.sys cuased an unexpected error (18) at line 2108 in D:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup\oemdick.c.

merlin

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 03:36:43 PM »
        you may need the patch look here>http://www.usbman.com/winxpusbguide.htm

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2004, 03:37:15 PM »
          dutty ........Are the support disks your using ...original or are they copies........perhaps they are corrupt . Are you sure that you have bios set up as you want ?

let us know

dl65  ???

dutty

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2004, 04:34:46 PM »
          wow i'm a smart one. i didn't setup the disks right, did it, and i got past the error and now in windows setup it says setup did not find any hard disks drives installed in your computer. make sure they are powered and probly connceted ot your computer. ext ext. I have 2 wester digatal 10,000 rpm 70gig rapotor drives plugged into the SATA raid 1 and 2 slots on the mobo. the only place for them to go for RAID setup. both drives have both the 4pin and the longer, (looks like a long sata) power cables on it. and are set to master.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2004, 05:03:09 PM »
            dutty.....you a have the drives plugged into the Long 80 pin sockets I think ......one is called the primary and the other is called the secondary.......I would plug the hard drives into the same  Flat ribbon cable( making sure the referance mark .......is towards the 4pin power plug)
            and then the other end I would plug in to the Primary 80 pin slot on the Motherboard) ......Connect the cd drives using a similar wide flat cable to the secondary slot on the motherboard......again making sure that the referance marker is towards the 4 in power plug.
            I would also set the jumpers on the drives as either ....make one the master and the other the slave or use the cable select option .

you should be able to see this if you go into the bios....
            where it shows you the drives you have connected .
            let us know

hope this helps

dl65  ???

dutty

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2004, 05:18:45 PM »
            the harddrives don't take the wide ribbon cable. they take the serial ATA cables. I just checked to make sure they are connected right. The harddrives have a spot for hte 4pin power connector and then a samller widder one that looks like a wider sata. both of these are for power but does it need both of them?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2004, 05:25:06 PM »
              dutty ......why dont you check the HDD site for specs on your drives and there should be the proper wiring connections shown there ......and also how to set them up .

dl65  ???

dutty

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2004, 07:32:50 PM »
              i got it working, i was missing a step before the OS installation. I'm putting drivers and stuff on it know, oh it is beuatifull, thanks for the help everyone

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2004, 07:49:32 PM »
                dutty....Glad to hear its up and running ....what step did you overlook?

let us know

dl65  ???