Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Want XP instead of Win 7  (Read 11755 times)

rus

Want XP instead of Win 7
« on: January 14, 2010, 08:58:26 PM »
I have a Compaq Presario cq60-615DX laptop and I would like to remove Win 7 and install Win XP.
Thanks.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Want XP instead of Win 7
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 09:40:02 PM »
Welcome to CH.
Many people are here to help you.
we understand that you have a very new laptop because it has Windows 7 on it most likely you just bought it. Does it have the 32-bit or the 64-bit version of Windows 7?
This subject has come up before, in fact many people who had Vista on their laptops wanted to remove it and put XP on it. Many people have done that.
Now before you go any further, please let me share with you some observations and experiences that others have had.
Replacing the operating system on a new laptop presents some serious challenges. In the first place, there is the issue of how much time it's going to take you to do this. And then there is the economic issue. Replacing Windows 7 with Windows XP will cost you some money. You will need to buy a proper copy of Windows XP, unless the manufacturer has offered it to you at a large discount. And your laptop will become devalued if your wish to sell it to somebody else. It is unlikely that a new buyer would want to receive a laptop that does not have the original OS on it.
Likely you have given some thought to this and have decided that Windows XP would be better for you. Now what I'm about to say is not just my own opinion, but also the prevailing thought of many here on this forum. Windows 7 is a good stable operating system. Well, maybe not as stable as Windows XP. But it does remarkably well. Although many have installed Windows XP on laptops, it is not always a happy experience. The big issue is trying to find proper drivers for the laptop since your laptop is now two generations removed from Windows XP it is likely that it has some hardware on it but does not have that perfect drivers for Windows XP. Of course, this depends on what the manufacturer used in creating the new laptop. Some new hardware is not exactly the same as what they used a few years ago. So you might find yourself with a laptop that has perhaps inferior sound or difficulty with network adapters. Or something like that
the best honest answer I could give you would be to buy a used laptop from some vendor that offers the war and the and a reload of Windows XP. You can find them out there rather cheap, not as much performance as with your new
but with Windows XP they old computers were pretty good.
That's my best answer. If you really want to go ahead and do it is quite a few fellows here that will help you out and I've had a little bit of experience trying to do this to, and I have found the side that I would never do that to a laptop. Desktop, fine no problem. But not a laptop.
Please excuse grammar errors, it is hard for me to edit my dictation.
EDIT:
Additional Information.
Here is a website that offers reconditioned laptops and notebooks for under $300. With a warranty. This is not an endorsement, only a suggestion.
http://www.usedlaptops.com/
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 09:50:35 PM by Geek-9pm »

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 05:43:21 AM »
Download the drivers you need for XP. Then boot to the XP CD and delete the existing partition and recreate it. Format. Then install XP and install all the drivers (starting with the chipset driver).

rus

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 02:39:43 PM »
My computer has the 64 bit. Do I need to change the HDD to IDE or can I leave it alone?

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 02:41:17 PM »
You can leave it alone.

rus

How Do I Format Win 7?
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 03:40:24 PM »
I want to install Win XP but when I boot to the XP disc I wind up with an error message. I thought that when the XP disc began it would format the c drive.

I tried to format Win 7 using CMD command but it tells me something is being used and do I want to dismount it. When I enter Y it says it is being used.

Help please.

Allan

• Mastermind
Re: How Do I Format Win 7?
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 03:41:13 PM »
If you want to install Win 7 why are you booting to an XP disc?

rus

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 03:41:39 PM »
Thanks for the help. I now have a new problem. I can't format the c drive in order to install XP.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 03:42:37 PM »
You need to provide more information. We're good, but we're not mind readers.

rus

Re: How Do I Format Win 7?
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 04:18:19 PM »
If you want to install Win 7 why are you booting to an XP disc?

I want to get rid of 7 and install XP.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 04:29:46 PM »
Boot to the Win7 DVD and use the same procedure...delete the existing partition and select Install....
This is assuming you have backed up any data you wanted to save and burned it to CD or moved to another drive.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 05:28:52 PM »
I want to get rid of 7 and install XP.
Yeah. I got that.

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 09:04:48 PM »
Make sure that there are drivers available for your laptop for Windows XP.  If there aren't any drivers for it then all of this is worth nothing.
Evil is an exact science.

rus

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 09:39:46 AM »
I have the necessary drivers for my Compaq. Now all I have to do is find out how to format the c drive so I can install XP.
When I use CMD and type "fromat c:" and tell it yes a new screen comes up and wants to know if I want to force a dismount? When I type "Y" the next line says, "Cannot lock the drive. The Volume is still in use."

What now?

Thanks

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 09:46:53 AM »
This is done by booting to the Win7 install DVD...you cannot format a drive that is in use.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "