Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Restricted access still domain user able to change shared printer property  (Read 7959 times)

zillah

Topic Starter

Beginner

Hi

Within Active Directory environment (win2003 server) I have got 11 domains users.

A new network printer Samsung CLX-6210FX installed on the server 2003 and shared

On the server right click Samsung  Printer  > Properties  >  Security tab for the group “Everyone “  set as below

http://i46.tinypic.com/qobogo.jpg

Although “ Everyone “ group has been given permission for print only , why would a domain user still be able  to change the color as in the snap shot (for a client PC) below

http://i48.tinypic.com/2nkkw94.jpg

Thanks

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Seems to me like changing the color printing option is part of printing, which is allowed.

WakCom

Starter

What you might find is that the changes users make are one-time only i.e when they go back to the printer properties after changing a setting, it has reverted back to its original value. Alternatively, it is possible that the changes they make only apply to the user that made the change rather then every user of the printer.

killerb255

Adviser
        • Experience: Expert
        Late to the party, but here's your answer:

"Print" permissions will grant access to "Printing Preferences." 

"Manage Printers" will grant access to "Printing Defaults."

Those options you mentioned are under "Printing Preferences."

One season late, but hey, someone might find this useful. :)
        Quote from: talontromper
        Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Sid

Apprentice
          • Experience: Experienced
          If you have access to it, the Microsoft 70-270 book goes into Printing permissions quite deeply.

But as others have said, this looks like a normal function of "printing".

The manage printers permission lets you customise printer settings, like ports and things.

The manage documents permission lets you pause or delete files in the print queue.

I don't think any of the print level permissions will give you the control you're after.  It might be possible that there is an add-in pack for GPO that you might be able to use.