Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: down grade windows 7 towindows XP  (Read 14625 times)

lonar23

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

down grade windows 7 towindows XP
    « on: January 21, 2010, 09:36:17 AM »
    i have dell vostro 1015  laptop  with widows 7 os, recently i'd tried to downgrade it to XP but it didn't success

my system appears blue screen and says i need to check my system for viruses and run chkdsk but i almost done it for so many times with no viruses found and all my hardware works properly but still no progress it also shows a code like this  0x0000007B (0Xf78D2524, 0X00000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

i cant also format my disk..

anyone can help here..?

i just need convenient step to someone already experience this problem...

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: down grade windows 7 towindows XP
    « Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 09:40:49 AM »
    Did you DLoad and install XP drivers for this machine after the install ? ?

Does the same thing happen in safemode ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

flipflopjd

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 10:41:07 AM »
      Why down grade ???windows 7 is far better. ;)

killerb255

Adviser
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 11:01:55 AM »
        Not sure why you'd want to downgrade.  If there's a real reason to have XP, use XP Mode (yes, I know it's an updated VirtualPC, and other virtual products like VMWare and VirtualBox are better, but still...the free license doesn't hurt).

However, if you absolutely insist on having XP as your main OS, then one thing you need to check for in your BIOS is whether SATA operation is set to AHCI.  Vista and 7 have native AHCI drivers--XP does not.

If it is set to AHCI, then XP will blue-screen with 0x7B (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE) without either:
        a) Switching that to ATA or IDE mode (or whatever it's called in your particular BIOS)
        b) Slipstreaming the AHCI drivers into your XP installation
        c) Copying the drivers to a floppy disk (yes, a floppy disk), and press F6 when asked to "Press F6 to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver." 

Hassle-free choice: a). :)
        Quote from: talontromper
        Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 11:07:48 AM »

Some people just prefer XP...

jkolak

Hopeful
          « Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 11:17:14 AM »
          Some people just prefer XP...

This is a big issue in the news, probably more so before the Win7 launch than now.

It's mostly because Vista was such a rough ride that people lost their trust in Microsoft and feared that Win7 was just more of Vista.

The outcry was that XP has been working so well for so long that they didn't want to mess with what worked. Due to this pressure Microsoft agreed to an extension to the XP product life.

Now that Win7 is out, people have started to realize that it is the best Windows that Microsoft has ever released, and certainly the best since XP.

That having been said, XP is getting long in the tooth and as hardware and software march forward, you can't stand still with the OS and expect there not to be any problems. XP was THE OS to have in 2003. Unfortunately, not in 2010.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 11:33:11 AM »
          My contention is we are here to assist with what the OP wants to do...not question his choices in the matter.

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 11:39:12 AM »
          My contention is we are here to assist with what the OP wants to do...not question his choices in the matter.
          +1

lonar23

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 11:48:25 AM »
            hello killerb255 i'd swith AHCI to ATA but i dont have Floopy disc drive in my laptop do we have any other options aside from it? although my installation to XP has a progress when i switched it but their is another problem i ecounter my installation do not continue it says like this

Setup cannot create the folder:

\WINDOWS.0\System32\Spool\prtprocs\w32X86

Setup cannot continue until the folder is created.

- to retry, press ENTER

- To quit setup, press F3

i'd press enter but still there and when i press quit the set-up will b failed...

so do we have another chance left?

thnks to all replies

jkolak

Hopeful
              « Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 11:51:31 AM »

I agree. My bad. A help thread is not the right place to have an academic discussion. The OP is only here because a decision had been previously made, and he is here for technical assistance or repair options.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              « Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 11:58:05 AM »

Agree. This is similar to when somebody asks in the apple forum "what mac should I buy" and there is literally a <FLOOD> of replies that basically say "macs SUXOR Use a PC LOL" and it's simply ridiculous.

That having been said, XP is getting long in the tooth and as hardware and software march forward, you can't stand still with the OS and expect there not to be any problems. XP was THE OS to have in 2003. Unfortunately, not in 2010.
              The age of an OS, or the age of any software, for that matter, is irrelevant to it's usefulness. Many businesses still use DOS based database management systems; It works, it's familar to them, and there is no reason to use something else.

I learned a long time ago that the "current thang" is always yesterdays thang tommorrow, so it's really just a waste of time to bother upgrading just for the sake of upgrading.

An Operating System is something that a user will have to use everyday. Therefore it should be their choice.

Personally, for example, I could easily upgrade to Windows 7; and it would probably work fine. but I don't. Vista is working fine for me; and that brings me to another point:

Now that Win7 is out, people have started to realize that it is the best Windows that Microsoft has ever released, and certainly the best since XP.

certainly? Sounds more like an opinion stated as fact. Really, the differences between windows 7 and Vista are so tiny it's almost comedic how different people paint the two. People skip straight over Vista to 7 and then proclaim how much better 7 is then Vista, despite never having even used Vista. I believe it was Patio who stated at some point previously the real reason that windows 7 is so much more successful: the public beta. I personally believe that is in fact the only reason. It's just another version of windows. it's not some kind of super ultra mega awesome OS that toasts your bread and butters it for you that some people paint it as; heck, the differences between Windows 7 and Vista are probably less then half the number of differences between XP and 2000, and people still painted XP as a steaming turd just as they painted Vista after it. It was the windows 7 beta program that reversed everybody's idea; the mass publicity; the exposure, etc. It has nothing to do with anything they "fixed".

Now, then, returning at last to the actual Topic: STOP code 0x7B in this case probably is caused by what other have touched on; the PC has a SATA hard drive. Killerb255 has excellently pointed out several ways of getting the drive to work with XP; Personally, I just switch the SATA mode from AHCI to "compatible" or "IDE". No need to finagle with drivers or floppies or slipstreaming.

hello killerb255 i'd swith AHCI to ATA but i dont have Floopy disc drive in my laptop do we have any other options aside from it? although my installation to XP has a progress when i switched it but their is another problem i ecounter my installation do not continue it says like this

Setup cannot continue until the folder is created.

- to retry, press ENTER

- To quit setup, press F3

i'd press enter but still there and when i press quit the set-up will b failed...

so do we have another chance left?

thnks to all replies

Looks like you've performed an installation already (windows.0); after switching from AHCI in the BIOS was the XP disc able to boot and format your drive? remember you have to boot from the disc to install; you cannot install XP over top of Windows 7 from within windows.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

killerb255

Adviser
                « Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 09:08:25 PM »
                hello killerb255 i'd swith AHCI to ATA but i dont have Floopy disc drive in my laptop do we have any other options aside from it?

In my last post, I meant either a), b), OR c), not a), b) AND c)!

If you switch AHCI to ATA, you do NOT have to have a floppy disk or slipstream any drivers.

although my installation to XP has a progress when i switched it but their is another problem i ecounter my installation do not continue it says like this

It is never a good idea to install one version of Windows on top of another.  When you do, another "Windows" directory gets created (unless you're going from or to, say NT or 2000, but that's another story altogether), and you have a big flippin' mess on your hands.

You should have backed up all your important data (if any), wiped the entire drive clean, and installed XP from scratch.

Never install two Windows installations on the same PC unless you either (and this is OR, not AND):
                a) Split your hard drive into two partitions, install the oldest version of Windows on the first partition, and then the newest version on the second partition.  You'll get a menu after startup asking you which version of Windows you want to boot into.
                b) Use two physical drives, installing the oldest version of Windows on the first drive and then the newest version on the second drive.  Again, you'll get a menu after startup asking you which version of Windows you want to boot into.
                c) Install the oldest version of Windows, and then perform an upgrade install to a newer version (as long as you meet the requirements for an upgrade-install and you're willing to deal with the risks as well as the benefits in doing so).
                d) Install Windows, have a major problem, and have to perform a repair-install (like an upgrade install, this also carries risks, especially if your computer is multiple Service Packs and versions of Internet Explorer ahead of your install disc).
                e) Install one version of Windows (actually, Mac, Linux, or BSD would work for this as well), install virtual machine software, and install one or more versions of Windows on virtual machines (i.e.: Installing Windows 7, and then downloading/installing the XP Mode components). 
                f) ...don't mind the messiness of having multiple \WINDOWS directories and having to live with or clean up the mess (some programs mind this...a lot)

Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

killerb255

Adviser
                  « Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 09:10:16 PM »

Discouraging his choice if it doesn't sound like a good idea is fine, as long as you're willing to offer him options should he pursue the choice anyway.

lonar23

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 05:39:46 PM »
                    to killerb255  i huv succesfully downgrade my laptop from win 7 to xp...
                    and i got from u

thank you..more power.. :) :)

groovybluedog

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 02:31:36 AM »

I am not baised, As i have used both, But in MY opinion, Its allways XP. The classic design, The less RAM usage, and Compatability.

Im still looking for drivers to run XP on this stupid sata hard drive, So i have to stick with windows 7.

I will go back to windows 7 maybe a year later, when more games and software become compatable - Half the stuff i have only runs on XP, ANd i am not moving back to vista!