Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer turns off (strange)  (Read 2014 times)

RealMarkP

Topic Starter

Starter

Computer turns off (strange)
    « on: January 23, 2010, 06:24:01 PM »
    Hello ComputerHope. First time poster here. :)

I came here because I have a problem with my wife's computer which I cannot seem to solve. Her computer stats:

- Pentium 4 3.2Ghz, 800FSB
    - 2GB PC-3200 RAM
    - 80GB SATA Drive
    - MSI 865PE Neo2-P Motherboard
    - Generic 400W PSU
    - Generic IDE-Based DVD ROM

She uses it for light usage (browsing, excel sheet processing, youtube watching, etc). During her use, the computer randomly turns off. It turns off in a way where I cannot turn it back on again. I have to unplug the computer for a few minutes and then plug it back in before it actually powers on. Once that happens, the BIOS complains it's out of date (the CMOS batter is probably shot...). So I reset the BIOS and boot into windows and everything is ok.

Here is the weird part. I believe that this might have been a PSU issue, so I replaced the PSU twice. It still happens. I thought that it was over heating so I bought two new case fans and it still happens. I thought it might have been bad RAM, so I swapped ram from my server machine, and it still happened. Further, I ran some intensive programs to see if it might be the PSU's voltage. I ran a virus scan, a GPU and CPU stress program, and a few youtube videos at the same time. The max CPU temperature was roughly 50C, which is not bad for a P4. I was hoping that the stress tests would peg the PSU as much as possible. I ran this test for over 30 minutes without any problem.

After I was done testing, I did some light browsing and out of the blue, the computer turned off.

Any ideas? I'm stumped!!

t_blake07

Apprentice
      Re: Computer turns off (strange)
      « Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 06:48:54 PM »
      Maybe the BIOS needs updated?

RealMarkP

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 09:42:19 PM »
        The BIOS is already at its latest version.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 09:47:40 PM »
        Overheating is a possibility...
        Dload SpeedFan and post her Temps...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

RealMarkP

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 02:18:52 PM »
          I ran Speed Fan and two different hardware monitors while stressing the system. I noticed that the PSU was not delivering the proper voltages to the +3.3V rail. It went down to about 3.01V at one point. Alost the 12V rail doesn't seem like it's delivering all that it should. Could this cause a problem? Look at the Min/Max values on the PSU voltages.

Another problem I noticed is that the Temperature is reported incorrectly. Sometimes it jumps down to near freezing temperatures (which is obviously incorrect - I'm not pouring liquid nitrogen on my CPU). If this is the case, I wonder if the mobo can incorrectly report the temperature at levels where the computer shuts itself off??

Here is a screenshot:
          http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/8249/77470642.png