Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Cutting on and off  (Read 4452 times)

_TRAGIC_

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Internet Cutting on and off
    « on: January 26, 2010, 06:17:21 PM »
    The problem started about at the beginning of the year when my browsers wouldn't work internet was fine just the browsers. Then after i reinstalled Vista my internet wouldn't connect, and to this day LAN won't work so i got wireless, but it didn't work at first it would disconnect within 5 min. A somehow fixed it. Then just earlier today after leaving a game on all night my internet wouldn't work. So after fooling around a bit and reconnecting the wireless receiver from it "hub" to directly into my PC i got internet. But now the problem is that it disconnects if I'm not on for a while or if i start this online game. What i have to do to fix it is pull it out then plug it back in then i works again. It's like to much bandwidth and it crashes, but what's weird is if it hasn't crashed it has 4/5 to 5/5 bars of connectivity.... or what ever those bars in network connections are called. What's wrong and how can i fix this?!?

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Internet Cutting on and off
      « Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 09:45:21 AM »
      Need moar info:

1) Type of Internet Service: Cable, DSL, fiber, satellite?
      2) Brand of wireless router?
      3) Brand of wireless network adapter?

Particularly, with some DSL providers, they use something called "PPPoE," which often requires a user name and password to connect.  It may even time out after a while if you don't have "Keep Alive" settings enabled (if you're using a router).

Also, you may need to download updated drivers for your PC's wired network adapter and/or your wireless adapter.
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

_TRAGIC_

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 11:37:08 AM »
        This is how the connection goes
        1. Phone Jack
        2. Westell DSL brigde (i think)
        3. TRENDnet 54Mbps Wireless Firewall Router --TEW432BRP--
        4. TRENDnet TEW-645UB (Directly pluged into comp.)
        5. Computer (Vista 32bit)

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 11:44:17 AM »
        Bypass the router temporarily...
        What happens ?
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

_TRAGIC_

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 12:02:21 PM »
          How would i bypass the router....its probably a good time to say there are 4 computeres in this house 2 desktops 2 laptops and mines the only one with this problem.

killerb255

Adviser
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 01:17:10 PM »
            How would i bypass the router....its probably a good time to say there are 4 computeres in this house 2 desktops 2 laptops and mines the only one with this problem.

Since the problem is happening only with your PC, there's no need to bypass the router (at least for now).

Honestly, I've never been a fan of TRENDNet products.  With those, you get what you pay for.

My own bias aside, your best bet would be to install an updated driver for your TRENDnet TEW-645UB.

However, just for ****s and giggles, if that doesn't work, bypass the router anyway and see what happens.  To do so, either:

a) Move your computer closer the DSL modem and connect an Ethernet cable from your PC to the modem.
            b) Move the DSL modem to an unfiltered phone jack near your PC and connect an Ethernet cable directly from your PC to the modem.
            or
            c) Run a ginormous Ethernet cable from your PC to the DSL modem.

With either option, if your DSL uses PPPoE (a user name and a password), make sure that info is stored either in the modem (if the modem can do so) or create a PPPoE dial-up connection on your PC.
            Quote from: talontromper
            Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

_TRAGIC_

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 11:16:18 PM »
              The thing is my computer won't recognize the cable....its like its not there but when hooked up to our laptop it works just not on my computer so pretty much its like there isn't a driver for using cable

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 07:00:53 AM »
              Open Device Manager ? ?
              See any Yellow !'s or ?'s    ? ?

If so list them.

_TRAGIC_

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 08:11:30 PM »
                Ya there 2 yellow !s they are
                1.Ethernet Controller
                2.SM Bus controller

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 08:44:47 PM »
                Ya there 2 yellow !s they are
                1.Ethernet Controller
                2.SM Bus controller

This is why you can't connect directly with a cable to the router/modem.
                The driver for this device will be on the Driver CD that shipped with your MBoard...if you do not have 1 or it's an addon card you may have to search for the correct drivers...
                Everest Home is a Free app that will tell you all you need to know hardware wise about your machine...

As far as the wireless part of it right now i can't venture a guess. At this way you'll have a solid connection til we iron that issue out.

_TRAGIC_

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 05:12:52 PM »
                  Dude thanks it turns out a driver the computer said it had wasn't there so i saw LAN and downloaded it and it works thx man!

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 08:25:57 PM »
                  No problem...glad your fixed up...