Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless has unusually slow speed  (Read 22102 times)

Starlight

Topic Starter

Rookie

Wireless has unusually slow speed
    « on: January 27, 2010, 10:34:46 AM »
    I've just recently bought a new Dell Studio XPS 13, and I've been having problems with my wireless connection. Connection speed has been really slow (10x slower than usual). Initially I just thought my ISP is having some sort of maintainance but it's been going on for 2 weeks now. So I tried connecting my laptop using an ethernet cable and the connection speed is back to normal. I also tried connecting wirelessly with other laptops and everything was going smoothly, connection speed was as it's supposed to be. So any idea why my laptop has such slow wireless connection speed and how i could fix it?

EEVIAC

Re: Wireless has unusually slow speed
    « Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 03:42:37 PM »
    I've just recently bought a new Dell Studio XPS 13, and I've been having problems with my wireless connection. Connection speed has been really slow (10x slower than usual). Initially I just thought my ISP is having some sort of maintainance but it's been going on for 2 weeks now. So I tried connecting my laptop using an ethernet cable and the connection speed is back to normal. I also tried connecting wirelessly with other laptops and everything was going smoothly, connection speed was as it's supposed to be. So any idea why my laptop has such slow wireless connection speed and how i could fix it?

What's the make/model of your wireless router?

Starlight

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 05:25:09 PM »
      oh ya, forgotten to mention, sorry  :-X
      My wireless router is a Linksys BEFW11S4.
      The wireless adapter of my laptop is a Dell wireless 1510 wireless-N WLAN Mini-Card.

EEVIAC

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 06:53:54 PM »
      To start off, your router supports only "B" standard so the maximum throughput of your wireless card in the laptop, and all other laptops using the wireless router will be 11 mbps, as opposed to 600 mbps (max. of wireless-n)  However, you should still be able to get decent downloading speeds with that, assuming there is only one user on the router...  If there are multiple people using the router, 11 mbps would not go very far.. Say 3 people wanted to use the wireless router, then each of you would be limited to approx. 3.6 mbps.  On top of that, the /b standard uses csma/ca, a protocol used to regulate data being sent over the wireless network, to avoid colliding with other wireless clients, which bogs down the wireless environment even more..

Assuming that you are the only user on your router, try booting into Safe Mode With Networking...  Restart the computer and tap f8 until you see advanced boot options... Select "Safe Mode with Networking", then connect to your wireless access point, however it is you do that, whether it is through DELL proprietary software or Windows 7...  If you cannot find how to view wireless networks available while in Safe Mode, go into Control Panel, click on "classic view", open "network and sharing center", on the left, click on "manage network connections", right click on the adapter you see, and click on "view wireless networks.. Find yours, connect and check the download speed, if it has improved...

EEVIAC

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 08:26:04 PM »
      I didn't ask what the signal quality is when you use the laptop..
      How many bars are you getting?

Starlight

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 10:18:57 PM »
        Well, I'm getting full bars.
        Will try Safe Mode networking. If that works, i can run my comp as usual after that?

EEVIAC

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 10:45:40 PM »
        If it works in Safe Mode with Networking, it just means that there is likely some software, services, or virus interfering with the connectivity, while in normal mode...   Another way to put it, is we'll have to run some virus scans and disable programs and/or services until we find out which is causing the disruption..

Starlight

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 11:10:27 PM »
          Ok, tried it, still very slow connection speed =/

EEVIAC

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 12:03:44 AM »
          Was it working good when you first got the laptop, or was it always slow?

If it was working, what has changed since you first got it?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 12:31:03 AM »
          Let me but in.
          If this is a brand new laptop and if is the only machine having trouble with the wireless speed, then it may be a good time to call the Dell tech support.

Starlight

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 12:40:16 AM »
            Nah, has always been slow. I'm using a McAfee Anti virus, maybe it has something to do with it?

EEVIAC

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 12:52:19 AM »
            Let me but in.
            If this is a brand new laptop and if is the only machine having trouble with the wireless speed, then it may be a good time to call the Dell tech support.

maybe..

@ starlight    What wireless technology are the other laptops using?

Are they using "B"  "G" or "N"  ?     

For example, your new laptop is "wireless - n"

t_blake07

Apprentice
              « Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 01:04:30 AM »
              maybe..

@ starlight    What wireless technology are the other laptops using?

Are they using "B"  "G" or "N"  ?     

For example, your new laptop is "wireless - n"

Lol. Thats better. I was gonna jump in and ask if you were getting too tired to think straight.  ;)

Starlight

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 01:15:23 AM »
                Not very sure bout the laptop using the Atheros AR5006EXS Wireless Network Adapter. But the other one is using an Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter,which I guess is "B".

EEVIAC

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 01:48:47 AM »
                The first one you mentioned supports  "A", "B", or "G", and the latter supports only "B"

At any rate, since you are getting Full Bars with your new "N" laptop but having a slow connection, while the other laptops are older technology and work well, I suspect that you need to update the firmware of your Wireless "B" router..  Although "N" is compatible with "B", a firmware update may be necessary to ensure full compatibility..The two technologies are about ten years apart..

If your other laptops were using "N" and working well, then I'd say take the laptop back to DELL..

Look on the bottom of the router, next to the model number and tell me what the version number is.  It should say something like Ver. ?  If it only gives you the model number, then it's version 1

Lol. Thats better. I was gonna jump in and ask if you were getting too tired to think straight.  Wink

I've been playing final fantasy 7 all day... I do happen to be a bit weary  :)

Moonlight

Starter

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 09:30:39 AM »
                  Hey, it's starlight here, for some reason i was banned and dont know why =X
                  It says i spammed or abused the forum, which i couldn't have since I only posted on this post =X
                  Anyway, i tried updating my firmware and now i have another problem, half way through the update the browser just turns blank and it doesn't complete the update =X

EEVIAC

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 01:03:51 PM »
                  I don't know what you did, but I hope you did not use an incorrect firmware version...  It's very important to use an update designed exactly for you model and version..   Where did you get the firmware update from?

EEVIAC

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 04:06:17 PM »
                  Are you still able to connect to the Internet through your router, using of your older laptops?

Starlight

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 05:46:43 PM »
                    Got the firmware from the linksys website.
                    Yeah, still able to connect with the older laptops.

EEVIAC

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 05:55:01 PM »
                    OK good..

Before we proceed I need to be sure that you are attempting to install the correct version of firmware...

I need to know what the Ver. # is that is printed next to the model # of your router.  Look on the bottom of the router...

Starlight

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 06:00:53 PM »
                      router is ver.4

EEVIAC

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 07:03:05 PM »
                      Ok, follow this closely:

Go here:  http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/BEFW11S4

Click on "Get Downloads", on the drop down menu, select version 4.
                      DO NOT SELECT ANY OTHER VERSION

On the left under "Downloads and Drivers", click on the "download" link and save the firmware file to your windows desktop..

Next, open a browser and type the IP address of your router and press enter..  On the main page, click on "Administration".  Click on the Firmware Upgrade tab, click on the Browse button to select the Firmware File that you downloaded to the desktop... Click the upgrade button. After it finishes, go to one of your older laptops and connect to the Internet to confirm that the upgrade was successful.  (you might have to configure the router's WiFi password again or other setttings..)

If you can connect using one of the old laptops, try connecting with your wireless-n laptop to see if the download speed has improved.. If not, unplug the router and turn off your wireless-n computer..  Leave your router off for a few minutes and power it back on... After all the lights have come back on, power the wireless-n computer back on and try connecting/testing the speed...

Starlight

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 10:35:03 PM »
                        Yeah, that's what i did, it just updates halfway and the screen just goes blank =x

EEVIAC

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 10:42:59 PM »
                        Restart the computer and tap F8 until you see Advanced Boot Options...

Select Safe Mode with Networking

When it boots up, access your router and try again..

Starlight

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 07:44:22 PM »
                          Lol, things just keeps getting worse =X
                          I finally managed to update my firmware using IE (was using firefox previously) but now i have an even bigger problem, i can connect to the internet but I can't browse. I did the troubleshooting and it says the Primary DNS Server is not responding. Did i do something wrong when upgrading the firmware? Now i'm bypassing the router, connecting to the net through my modem which doesn't have wireless =X

EEVIAC

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 08:11:29 PM »
                          We're making progress..   ;)         I doubt you did anything wrong, you may just need to reset the router...      If you haven't already, unplug the router completely..  Leave it unplugged from the wall for a few minutes (while all other computer are off as well).  Plug it back in and wait for all activity lights to come on... Once that is done, power on your computers and see if you can use the wireless router to browse

Let me know if your older laptops are browsing ok, or if it still just your new laptop giving you trouble..

btw.. don't go troubleshooting too much.. Any changes you make will make it more difficult for me to help you..

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 08:27:24 PM by EEVIAC »

Starlight

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2010, 01:37:19 AM »
                            yeah, i tried that, but I just keep getting the 'cant connect to primary DNS server' error. I called up my ISP and they sent a technician to look at my problem. He too couldn't fix it and said there might be some problems with my router and might be caused by some configuration problem. So i reset my router to factory default settings and keyed in my username and password. Is there any other configuration that i should put in?

EEVIAC

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2010, 03:03:55 AM »
                            err..

Let me know if your older laptops are browsing ok, or if it still just your new laptop giving you trouble..

[/quote]

Starlight

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2010, 03:11:55 AM »
                              all laptops cant connect through the router now. I'm bypassing the router right now, laptop connected directly to modem through ethernet cable. =X

EEVIAC

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2010, 05:49:40 AM »
                              You may have to reset the WEP key in the router, maybe the PPPoE password too... The firmware update may have reset them...If your computers are set up for security and the router is not, it will deny connection to the internet.. 

When you are on one of your older laptops, are you able to see the wireless router broadcasting, as if you can see other wireless routers?

Starlight

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2010, 06:56:17 AM »
                                yup, already tried all that. The router is connected to the internet, my ISP told me I'm connected when I called them up but I just can't browse  :-X
                                Yeah, all laptops can detect all wireless routers in range, including my router. Even the technician can't solve the problem, maybe it's time i get a new router? This one is like 6 years old  :-X

EEVIAC

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2010, 07:33:42 AM »
                                OS Support:  Windows 98SE/Me/2000/XP

This quote from your router manual indicates the possibility why your Windows 7 laptop may just have a compatibility issue..   You may need a new router for your new laptop..

However, assuming the firmware update isn't buggy, you should still be able to browse with your older laptops..  We are missing something here... Go to the "administration" tab in the router and select reset the router to factory defaults, and try browsing with the older laptops...

Starlight

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2010, 08:32:21 AM »
                                  Yeah, tried that too, no luck. Oh well, guess if i'm getting a new router anyway, it wont really matter right? =X

EEVIAC

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2010, 09:17:15 AM »
                                  Did you by any chance make a back up copy of the original firmware file?
                                  I should have warned about that ahead of time..

If not, go here:

http://www.opendrivers.com/driver/214921/linksys-befw11s4-v4-wireless-b-broadband-router-firmware-1.50.10-free-download.html

This a an earlier version of your firmware, it might fix the problem with connecting the older laptops to the Internet...

Enter the security code on the screen..  Scoll down and use the "back up server"  The first server doesn't work ..  Download the file and save it to your desktop again....  Install the firmware on the router the way you did the first one.

Before buying another router, make sure it supports your New Operating System.. :)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                                  • Geek After Dark
                                    • Gekk9pm bnlog
                                  « Reply #34 on: January 30, 2010, 04:02:03 PM »
                                  There is nothing wrong with the router.
                                  You do not have to update a router when you get a new Windows OS.
                                  The problem lies in the network hardware drivers for Windows 7.
                                  This is documented on the Dell website.
                                  You can spend a lot of time proveing this...
                                  - OR-
                                  Just go to the Dell site, have  service tag number ready, and get the new drivers for Windows 7.

EEVIAC

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2010, 04:51:20 PM »
                                  Lol

@ Starlight

Is this your thread?

http://forums.techarena.in/networking-security/1297126.htm

That Milton.J person plagiarized his response to your problem using my initial post, word-for-word!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                                  • Geek After Dark
                                    • Gekk9pm bnlog
                                  « Reply #36 on: January 30, 2010, 05:33:40 PM »
                                  Lol
                                  @ Starlight
                                  Is this your thread?
                                  http://forums.techarena.in/networking-security/1297126.htm
                                  That Milton.J person plagiarized his response to your problem using my initial post, word-for-word!
                                  Sue him!

EEVIAC

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2010, 05:40:34 PM »
                                  Lol

If I was that upset about it I wouldn't "Lol" here, but I appreciate your your fairly consistent sarcastic remarks... keep 'em coming

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                                  • Geek After Dark
                                    • Gekk9pm bnlog
                                  « Reply #38 on: January 30, 2010, 05:57:56 PM »
                                  If I was that upset about it I wouldn't "Lol" here, but I appreciate your your fairly consistent sarcastic remarks... keep 'em coming
                                  Hmmm... give a some time,mI will think of something mean to say.

Meanwhile. Did you ever try it with NO firewall and NO WEP?
                                  Yeah, that is dangerous. But there is a knows problem with Windows services and wireless encryption. Of course it was fixed. Or was it?

This looks like a relaxant post:
                                  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/fd45d694-921c-4a3d-80bd-ca2d7500bcb9

Talk about sarcasm, rad that!

EEVIAC

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2010, 06:40:27 PM »
                                  Hmmm... give a some time,mI will think of something mean to say.

I don't doubt it

Meanwhile. Did you ever try it with NO firewall and NO WEP?

Talk about sarcasm, rad that!

There's no doubt that you're on a war path, or something of the like.. Now, you're criticizing over procedure used in troubleshooting, and even this being the case you have no room to point fingers...

Your theory was that it was a driver problem in Windows 7, which I doubt because it's a brand new laptop, which will almost certainly have updated drivers..  On a side note: Given that the OP never mentioned that he/she tested your theory, there's no logic in going on to disabling WEP or any Firewall, because with out right drivers, nothing else would work.. Furthermore, an ISP service tech. came to her house and would have checked that, likely... 

You're are just looking for opportunities to bash, as far as I can see.. 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                                    • Yes
                                    • Yes
                                    • BC-Programming.com
                                  • Experience: Beginner
                                  « Reply #40 on: January 30, 2010, 06:51:14 PM »
                                  routers are hardware devices that support a established protocol. there is no OS requirement.

My router states the same set of OS requirements, it doesn't say windows 7, I guess my laptop just happens to work fine for no good reason.

It also doesn't say anything about Linux compatibility, and yet all distros I've tried work too. I must be really lucky to be able to use a standards supporting hardware device with Operating Systems that aren't listed on the box.

Or, more likely, the OS requirements are for the software package included in the box that isn't required at all.

Has it been mentioned anywhere what the signal strength was? or what connection method was used (a/b/n)?

And of course it's also possible the crapware all new laptops come with is impeding web browsing through the wireless. If the laptop has a wired connection, try that as well. (just to see if it works)
                                  I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                                  • Geek After Dark
                                    • Gekk9pm bnlog
                                  « Reply #41 on: January 30, 2010, 06:56:53 PM »
                                  Sorry to hear that you believe I only want to bash.
                                  I want to help. No bash.

I did not know she had already read the material on the Dell site about the need for new drivers for that specific laptop using Windows 7. It does not do WEP right without the new drivers. Or that is what I thought it said. My misnake.

EEVIAC

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2010, 06:59:20 PM »
                                  routers are hardware devices that support a established protocol. there is no OS requirement.

I believe you are correct... I think I overstated the OS requirement on the router.........I think I got a little excited when I read the user manual for the router, which stated the XP is the lastest supported OS..

Has it been mentioned anywhere what the signal strength was?
                                  or what connection method was used (a/b/n)?

Yep, check back on the first page of the thread  ;)  And, the router only supports 802.11/b   so her wireless - n adapter will only connect in that mode, as "N" support ranges in 2.4 and 5 GHz..

And of course it's also possible the crapware all new laptops come with is impeding web browsing through the wireless. If the laptop has a wired connection, try that as well. (just to see if it works)

I may be wrong, but I asked the OP to use Safe Mode with Networking, and that would have likely disabled the "crapware"  Lol

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                    • Yes
                                    • Yes
                                    • BC-Programming.com
                                  « Reply #43 on: January 30, 2010, 07:02:31 PM »
                                  the router only supports 802.11/b

This is likely the issue. Most Wireless-N Adapters don't support a/b and if they do they hardly work properly with it. wireless-g adapters support a/b much better, but for wireless-N it's more an extra letter on the box, and sometimes it doesn't really work.

Not sure if that's the case here.

EDIT: Oh, and what about changing the wireless channel?

EEVIAC

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2010, 07:15:08 PM »
                                  This is likely the issue. Most Wireless-N Adapters don't support a/b and if they do they hardly work properly with it. wireless-g adapters support a/b much better, but for wireless-N it's more an extra letter on the box, and sometimes it doesn't really work.
                                    802.11/b is a 2.4 GHz technology..  802.11/n supports Both the 5 GHz range and 2.4 GHz. So, theoretically it should work...   Maybe Windows 7's wireless driver is buggy..

EDIT: Oh, and what about changing the wireless channel?

I thought I proposed that a while back but I guess I didn't...There was another thread (where I helped Trevel) in the "networking" forum where I recommended using another channel that doesn't over lap with any other channels, I guess I forgot what thread I was in. :P   

If the OP can get back to an earlier version of the firmware, which I provided a link for (the firmware update disabled the working wireless laptop connections) trying another wireless channel on the router would be a good idea...

EEVIAC

« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2010, 07:24:30 PM »
                                  I want to help. No bash.

I did not know she had already read the material on the Dell site about the need for new drivers for that specific laptop using Windows 7. It does not do WEP right without the new drivers. Or that is what I thought it said. My misnake.

I myself don't know if the OP attempted to install drivers from the Dell website or not, either... I just can't see the point of recommending WEP or firewall disabling until we haven't even gotten a confirmation out of her, that she DID try new drivers..  Maybe I shouldn't have assumed she was using the latest drivers, simply because it's a brand new laptop.. Drivers can go outdated by sitting on a shelve for a long time.. But it is a Windows 7 OEM and any laptop with Win7 couldn't have been sitting on a shelf long enough for the drivers to become outdated. Windows 7 OEMs are only a few months old.... Maybe I'm wrong on that... I'm not sure how often driver updates become available...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                    • Yes
                                    • Yes
                                    • BC-Programming.com
                                  « Reply #46 on: January 30, 2010, 07:33:44 PM »
                                  I myself don't know if the OP attempted to install drivers from the Dell website or not, either... I just can't see the point of recommending WEP or firewall disabling until we haven't even gotten a confirmation out of her, that she DID try new drivers..  Maybe I shouldn't have assumed she was using the latest drivers, simply because it's a brand new laptop.. Drivers can go outdated by sitting on a shelve for a long time.. But it is a Windows 7 OEM and any laptop with Win7 couldn't have been sitting on a shelf long enough for the drivers to become outdated. Windows 7 OEMs are only a few months old.... Maybe I'm wrong on that... I'm not sure how often driver updates become available...

I don't think geek really means the actual drivers, but more the built in windows 7 services. Don't know if they would be a problem, but I think that is what he means.

EEVIAC

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2010, 07:45:52 PM »
                                  I don't think geek really means the actual drivers, but more the built in windows 7 services. Don't know if they would be a problem, but I think that is what he means

hmm, ok

It also doesn't say anything about Linux compatibility, and yet all distros I've tried work too. I must be really lucky to be able to use a standards supporting hardware device with Operating Systems that aren't listed on the box.

BTW.....yes, it's all luck!                That's what all the fine print says, BC.  It's a surprise package deal ! !       There are no common routing standards, anywhere..
                                  What was I thinking  ::)

EEVIAC

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2010, 08:02:43 PM »
                                  I want to help. No bash.

btw, geek..  When I used the work "bash" I wasn't only referring this this thread... I remember the first time you *censored* into a thread I posted to, you accused me of overrating a motherboard that I recommend, simply because I said I found "decent" reviews...

There were few other threads where I detected sarcasm directed at myself, for no apparent reason... 

Sue him!

This is clearly, sarcastic

You were in no way sharing my enthusiasm or humor in this instance.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                    • Yes
                                    • Yes
                                    • BC-Programming.com
                                  « Reply #49 on: January 30, 2010, 09:05:32 PM »
                                  BTW.....yes, it's all luck!                That's what all the fine print says, BC.  It's a surprise package deal ! !       There are no common routing standards, anywhere..
                                  What was I thinking  ::)

your sarcasm detector is broken. Or mine is. I dunno.

btw, geek..  When I used the work "bash" I wasn't only referring this this thread... I remember the first time you *censored* into a thread I posted to, you accused me of overrating a motherboard that I recommend, simply because I said I found "decent" reviews...

There were few other threads where I detected sarcasm directed at myself, for no apparent reason... 

sue him

This is clearly, sarcastic

You were in no way sharing my enthusiasm or humor in this instance.

I'd say he was also joking. At least, common sense dictates he was.

Then again, this is geek-9pm we're talking about, so maybe common sense doesn't apply, hahaha

EEVIAC

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2010, 10:13:14 PM »
                                  your sarcasm detector is broken. Or mine is. I dunno.

This is an interesting subject.. Maybe my sarcasm detector IS broken. I've been around so much sarcasm in my life that it's difficult to tell the difference.
                                  My father for one, used emotional blackmail on me my whole life, and still tries today and I'm sure that has a lot to do with it..

My in-laws are another good example. When I met them, they constantly brought false accusations against me, taking "low blow" shots whenever possible, and generally attempting to drag me down...  As a matter of fact, I don't talk to them anymore because I cannot get along with them.  I use to have a long list of particular things that they did (even typed up a long text file and burned it to CD so I wouldn't ever loose it or forget why I don't talk to them) but just decided to get rid of it because it just felt like a burden..  When my in-laws claimed to be joking with me, it always seems like some kind of trap.  My father in law invited me out to dinner one night, when I barely knew him, and before we left he asked me if I had money for a tip..  I said, "yes"...But was he joking?  If I say "no", then I'll be criticized by him and his family for not having my "sh**" together, as they did many times..  If I say "yes", then the Joke is on me, and I need to chill out...There's just no way to win, with some people..   My in-laws would always ask me questions in a form that would humiliate me, despite how I answered... This is just one of about 100 incidents I had with them.   They were always asking me about my personal business and finances, as if I had to prove myself to them for some reason...   I got news for you IN-LAWS, it's not going to make a freaken difference whether you approve of me or not, so unless you want to be despised by me the rest of your lives, just shut the *censored* up!  It's been over a year since the last confrontation I had with them and haven't spoken a word to them... Don't plan on it either...   My other good half was talking to her mom on Skype one day and her mother seemed to have problems with slow video.. I eMailed her some suggestions on what she can try to fix it, but it was merely for the sake of my wife being able to have a steady conversion on Skype..

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                    • Yes
                                    • Yes
                                    • BC-Programming.com
                                  « Reply #51 on: January 30, 2010, 10:28:50 PM »
                                  Actually, that sounds pretty normal for in-laws.

My father in law invited me out to dinner one night, when I barely knew him, and before we left he asked me if I had money for a tip..  I said, "yes"...But was he joking?  If I say "no", then I'll be criticized by him and his family for not having my "sh**" together, as they did many times..  If I say "yes", then the Joke is on me, and I need to chill out...

This sounds to me, more like over-analysis; you assume they are against you, and therefore you are looking for malice on their part. Really, it just sounds like a way of asking you know, wether you can decide on the tip. And if this was a typical "confrontation" well, that just sounds plain silly, to be honest- but, I wasn't there, and don't know either you or these people.

Not quite the same but in a similar vein as  Iwas growing up I never really did get along with my stepfather whom I've known since I was three; whenever something was missing I was automatically accused of stealing it, etc I eventually got used to it, actually. We're cool now though.

also this thread has certainly taken an interesting turn, lol.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                                  • Geek After Dark
                                    • Gekk9pm bnlog
                                  « Reply #52 on: January 30, 2010, 10:31:39 PM »
                                  BC_Programmer,
                                  It has been noted that some people on this forum do not have common sense.
                                  May I send you a PM? I don't want to do a rant, Just some info I want to share.

EEVIAC

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2010, 10:44:50 PM »
                                  This sounds to me, more like over-analysis

nah, not over analyzing.. As I said, there is a long list of things I had..  Even after I was married, and this is a very complex story, my mother in law had the police and local protection agencies sent to my house several times because I forbade them from coming over (because my wife had chronic pancreatitis and her mother and other family was always criticizing her, causing us both stress,which made her more sick, not too mention drove me insane)  Mother in Law was basically accusing me of holding my wife hostage...  We almost went to court over the whole thing.. My father who is pretty well-off, sent them a letter threatening to sue, if they didn't stop and stay away..  And Gee, isn't it funny?  My wife was taking 13 different medications at the time I met her for pain management and depression/anxiety... Now she's not taking any... I don't know how much you know about "stress" but it can have some serious ramifications on your body if it is not controlled..

also this thread has certainly taken an interesting turn, lol.

yes it's sort of ironic, first someone needs help with a computer issue, now we need help with our issues..      ;D                

EEVIAC

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »

It has been noted that some people on this forum do not have common sense.

I'm not sure what to think of this...  Who are you talking about?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                    • Yes
                                    • Yes
                                    • BC-Programming.com
                                  « Reply #55 on: January 31, 2010, 08:40:12 AM »
                                  re: the original question there is another thing we can try, once we get things back the way they were before all the wireless connections were clobbered; try running a Linux Live CD on the laptop that is having issues, and see if it's slow there as well.

EEVIAC: now that you've fleshed out the in-law stuff I think I see what you mean. The hostage thing takes the cake though!

EEVIAC

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
                                  re: the original question there is another thing we can try, once we get things back the way they were before all the wireless connections were clobbered; try running a Linux Live CD on the laptop that is having issues, and see if it's slow there as well.

Hopefully starlight will use the link for going back on the firmware version...  Trying a Linux Live distro is a good idea.. I've got a Knoppix Live CD myself, that I use for isolating some issues.  Sometimes I use it to back up files to a flash drive to rescue data..

EEVIAC: now that you've fleshed out the in-law stuff I think I see what you mean. The hostage thing takes the cake though!

:)   indeed

Moonlight

Starter

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2010, 10:56:55 PM »
                                    Hey, sorry for the late reply, was spending the last few days fiddling with my router trying to fix it. Anyway, finally got it to work and the speed is fairly decent now :D
                                    ofcourse it's slightly slower than being connected to ethernet but it's way better than before. Thanks for helping me out, greatly appreciate it :D

EEVIAC

« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2010, 11:19:10 PM »
                                    Moonlight.....  I'm sure I speak for others that helped here as well..

How did you fix it?   Do tell!     

Moonlight

Starter

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2010, 03:23:03 AM »
                                      well, it's basiclly the firmware  :-X
                                      apparently the firmware on the linksys website was givng me the probs. Initially my router was using the ver 1.42 firmware, then the router stoped working when i upgraded to ver 1.52. After that i downgraded it to ver 1.50 with the one you provided me and everything started working again, plus i'm getting much better speed on my new laptop  ;D

EEVIAC

« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2010, 04:33:45 AM »
                                      So it was the firmware, after all..    You needed an updated version of the firmware, but not necessarily the latest version, which seems to be buggy anyway...

I figured it was the firmware...   Please, ladies and gentlemen, hold your applause...  ;D

edit: I'd just like to add that this thread has been quite a rave!!

« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 04:53:41 AM by EEVIAC »

Starlight

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2010, 07:39:32 AM »
                                        haha, yeah, took 50+ replies and nearly a week to solve XD