Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista (Basic) - COM port problem?  (Read 4064 times)

GEORDIE99

Topic Starter

Starter

Vista (Basic) - COM port problem?
    « on: January 27, 2010, 01:13:01 PM »
    Trying to update my Camera Detection unit on my Vista basic EMachines G720 (Dual Core, 2GB memory) without success. The laptop has 4 usb ports  - when i try the device on each USB port they identify as COM 4,5,7 or 8. after the driver is successfully picked up. When i run the Updater software, it finds the device on whichever Com port is generated by whichever USB i plug it into; on every occasion it fails to detect and gives an error: 'Error 14: Flash detection software download failure'. I have used the recommended Flash uninstall program,reloaded and installed the latest Flash version recommended ; uninstalled & reinstalled the device software & driver but still the same result. Tried it out on a pal's PC (XP(Pro) and the device is detected and downloads ok (still gets the same error message thru another COM port) - same scenario on another Vista laptop (ie same error but picks it up via another COM port). I understand that Vista allocates the COM port dynamically but can't understand the problem with my laptop. I did notice in Device Manager that the advanced tab for the COM ports shows a number of Ports as 'In Use' but if i try to allocate a blank port there is no change. Anyone any ideas?   

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Vista (Basic) - COM port problem?
      « Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 01:18:30 PM »
      1) Name of camera detection unit please?
      2) Are you using a USB to serial adapter?
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

GEORDIE99

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 01:25:46 PM »
        (1) TALEX unit
        (2) No adapter - direct into the USB port(s) from the TALEX unit.

Thanks.

killerb255

Adviser
          « Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 01:30:37 PM »
          Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.talex.co.uk/

If so, you'll need to contact their support to find out if they have a proper Vista driver...
          Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

GEORDIE99

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 01:51:15 PM »
            Yes,thats the one......but did contact their Support Team in the first place and they assured me that the unit,software &supplied driver were ok and that the problem lay with my laptop COM port settings. This was proved when the Talex unit & supplied software/driver worked ok on my pal's Vista laptop as i mentioned in my post  -  i have tried to compare settings on both laptops but not sure what i should be looking for....no COM ports identified in Device Manager on either laptop until the device is plugged into a USB port (when the device driver is detected and pops up in Device Manager)...run software and it searches for the device....finds device Serial No.ok on my mate's but Error 14 on mine.

killerb255

Adviser
              « Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 10:24:20 PM »
              Hmmm...I can only think of a few other things from here:

1) The USB ports on your laptop may not be supplying enough power.  Does this TALEX have its own AC adapter, or is it powered strictly by the USB cable?
              2) Something else is conflicting with COM1.  Try changing your actual 9-pin serial port to a different COM port and have the TALEX take COM1. 
              3) Are you running 64-bit Vista?  64-bit Vista Home Basic does exist (as pointless as it is, as its artificial/licensing limit on RAM is 4 GB)...