Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP booting problem  (Read 3223 times)

Jerry

XP booting problem
« on: March 21, 2004, 10:39:23 AM »
For about 6-7 months now I've had a real bad problem with my XP. Whenever I boot it, 9 out of 10 times it will "skip" around. Now by skipping i mean the mouse will move normal, freeze up, then shoot ahead. Same thing happens with typing or trying to run any program, and it also makes the booting VERY long, so I have to sit here for nearly an hour sometimes rebooting the computer until it boots normal...

Anyone know why this might be happening or how to fix it?

Rick

Re: XP booting problem
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 02:02:32 PM »
Jerry,

Sounds like you might have either;
1) IRQ conflicts
2) XP loaded on an older incompatible mother board
3) a bad ram stick
4) and Auriel Vortex sound card.

Have you tried a repair install? :-/

Jerry

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 01:29:16 PM »
I'm not sure what IRQ means, but the motherboard is an MSI one that was new when I got the computer a little over a year ago (in fact, just about everything was new when I got it last Christmas). I had just recently replaced my ram, but I still have the problem, and I don't have that sound card.

I've also formatted and reinstalled windows about 4-5 times since I've had the computer, but the problem is still there. Someone at work today suggested it might be a faulty fan and the computer overheating, yet sometimes it can run for days, and reboot fine, while other times it will remain off for a day or so, then have trouble booting..

Rick

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 09:43:18 PM »
is it still under the original manufacturers warranty?
Who makes the comp? ???

undveteran

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004, 12:51:36 PM »
If it is a Gateway, then it might be an overheating problem. I have replaced the power supply (which contains the fan) on my Gateway three times - all under warranty.

Am curious if it is a Gateway...?

Lynn

merlin

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2004, 02:14:45 PM »
either download this to test your pc>http://www.aida32.hu/aida32-download.php  or go into safe mode info here>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q315222

wrathchild_67

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2004, 02:59:41 PM »
Are you running the Intel Application Accelerator? You should be able to find out quickly by looking in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. If you are indeed running this, then I wouuld suggest uninstalling it. But since you haven't told us anything about your system, I have no idea if you're even running an Intel processor.

People need to read the guidelines before posting. 90% of the questions asked here don't provide even the barest information to start to suggest a solution...