Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: replacing Windows98 with Windows XP  (Read 5504 times)

antje

replacing Windows98 with Windows XP
« on: July 05, 2005, 12:39:22 AM »
Do I have to uninstall Win98 before loading WinXP?  I wish to transfer my Win98 files to WinXP?   Do I have to back-up to CD, or is there a feature where this can be done automatically whilst installing XP?

Any advice would be much appreciated.  antje.

Mac

Re: replacing Windows98 with Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 04:14:32 AM »
Hello Angie, before anyone can advise you properly please do this compatability test for XP: XP Compatability Test

Knowing the Make and Model, amount of RAM, processor, and drive size of your computer would be invaluable.

XP needs 512 Mb, or more, RAM to run well. and is better being clean installed on a freshly partitioned and formatted drive.

nieves

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 04:17:46 AM »
installing xp over 98 will not work. do a complete back up. make boot disk,clear hard drive reformat the drive.there are plenty of sites on line just google it.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 04:25:40 AM »
you could do this>>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/meandxp.mspx

and you leave your win98 files intact......and also if you play or use old software games......you still have you old system and if you get fedup with winxp ;D you can uninstall it leaving your old o/s intact......when you load the winxp disk ......it will ask you what you wish to do??

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 04:33:37 AM »
Do I have to uninstall Win98 before loading WinXP?  I wish to transfer my Win98 files to WinXP?   Do I have to back-up to CD, or is there a feature where this can be done automatically whilst installing XP?

Any advice would be much appreciated.  antje.

If you have bought an upgrade version of Windows XP, you will be prompted to upgrade.

I urge you to first do a compatability check to see if your hardware can indeed support Windows XP.

Should you change your mind during the upgrade (And only during the upgrade) it will automatically revert back to the original settings and leave Windows 98 intact.

However; if you have bought an OEM or full version of Windows XP you will have to reformat your HDD before installing Windows XP.

antje

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 04:43:31 AM »
 :D

Many thanks for these messages,  this has helped a lot. Super to know that there are people out there who one can turn to!  Antje.

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 04:47:10 AM »
This will show you what happens when winxp loads

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/     look at the emulation page.