Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "Sleep" Issue  (Read 3686 times)

bil_drk

Topic Starter

Beginner

"Sleep" Issue
    « on: January 31, 2010, 05:20:53 PM »
    hi, i recently upgraded from XP to 7. In Xp, i'd put the computer to sleep and it would wake up normally. now, it will wake up, my monitor will come on, but instead of displaying the windows 7 desktop, the monitor simply says "no signal" and powers down, like its still in sleep mode. i know it has woken up, because my power light stops blinking, and i can hear my processor kick on. some help would be appreciated. thanks.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: "Sleep" Issue
    « Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 06:43:45 PM »
    Desktop? Disable all power saving features. Period.

bil_drk

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 07:21:56 PM »
      it is a desktop. i would like to be able to use stand-by, b/c i heard that constantly turning a computer on and off is hard on the power supply. if i cannot, thats okay.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 09:20:58 PM »
      Simply turn it off, when you're not planning to use it for a longer time, like for the night.

killerb255

Adviser
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 10:42:45 PM »
        Disabling all the power-saving features is more of a workaround than a fix.

Having said that, it may still be the best course of action, assuming that this particular PC's motherboard/chipset may not have updated drivers to take advantage of Windows 7's various power states properly...
        Quote from: talontromper
        Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 10:53:19 PM »
        Surely, the machine may have some other issues, but disabling power features is a good start.
        It's not a workaround, but a solution to Windows power features, which unfortunately were never mastered by Microsoft (I can see, Windows 7 is having very same problems).
        It's not me bashing MS, but me stating a fact.

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 05:44:50 AM »
        Two schools of thought on turning the system off each day.

1) The biggest shock to a system is when it is first powered up. True, but if you do it only once or twice a day the system should still not be negatively affected. I've had systems 8 or more years that were powered off and on daily with no problems at all.

2) The hd will wear down more quickly if the system isn't shut down overnight if not in use. True, but the hd will eventually park or, if you set it to do so, go to sleep. The hd will wear down over time no matter what you do.

I know true computer experts who leave there systems on 24/7 and others who turn them off daily. It's strictly a personal choice.

killerb255

Adviser
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 10:50:13 AM »
          I concur with Allan.

To add, think about servers for example.  They stay on 24/7 because they have to...even entry-level servers that are using standard PC-grade components.
          Quote from: talontromper
          Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

bil_drk

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 04:51:38 PM »
            hi, i am unsure if intel released an updated driver for  my particular chipset. i went directly through dell's website and downloaded drivers specifically for my computer (dimension 5100c).  ??? ??? ??? beleive me, there are a lot of problems i have just fixed; this is just one more check on the list.