Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Blue screen STOP error  (Read 7485 times)

EEVIAC

Re: Blue screen STOP error
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2010, 03:32:29 AM »
Have you tried booting the cd from the dvd drive?

Redgey

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2010, 03:49:48 AM »
    Yes I checked the cable, & the drive is a CD/DVD

EEVIAC

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2010, 05:10:25 AM »
    As my previouse msg - it loads the Dell resourse cd & WIN re-instalation Disk.

Sorry, I'm quite tired at the moment...  I have a feeling you didn't burn the .iso disc correctly...   If your Win CD is booting up, but the .iso CD is not, you're doing something wrong, or you've got bad quality media...

What burn speed are you using?  Assuming you are doing it correctly, as per Broni's directions, try setting the burn speed to x1 (before you start the burn), and see if that makes any difference...   Make sure all programs are closed during the burn process, otherwise you might get "buffer under run" errors...  Which might be the prob..   If you're using CD/DVD - RW media, do a full erase on it first, before trying again..

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 05:21:19 AM by EEVIAC »

Redgey

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2010, 07:41:52 AM »
      OK I missread the instructions I burned with NERO 1st, but done with img now. Ran test on new HDD & completed without errors.

EEVIAC

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2010, 08:13:26 AM »
      good      that's progess  ;)

Download memtest86 from HERE

Unzip it and burn it to CD just like you burned the other CD..  btw, don't loose the HDD diag. CD, it may come in handy some day..

Once you have burned the disc, boot from it just like the other disc and let it run for a few hours so it can check your ram.. If it find any errors, then you need new ram..

If you get confused about how to use MEMTEST86, see here, or google around:
      http://www.custompcblog.com/troubleshooting/memtest86-memtest-86-tutorial-guide

Redgey

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2010, 02:59:55 AM »
        OK completed the Memtest86 without any errors.

EEVIAC

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2010, 09:52:59 AM »

Redgey

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2010, 06:10:33 AM »
          I have returned to this post rather than create a new one because there has been some developments. I had been told by a so called expert who looked at the PC, that the MB had died. Since then however, my son looked at it & he was able to load Windows from the DOS prompt. It works OK, but on BOOT up I get a notice stating the hard drive is not found, press F1 to continue. Press F1 & it Boots up.  Another prob I have, is that he did not install with my XP CD, so I cannot activate it.  Any sujestions please.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #38 on: February 03, 2010, 07:07:35 AM »
          Check in the BIOS for the boot order priority...
          It should be set to CDROM 1st...
          Then HDD 0...
          Also check to see how the drive is jumpered and connected...we will need that info.

If you have your product key for that machine it can be activated with that...no matter which XP CD was used for the install...
          Worst case scenario would be a phone call to MS on their #800 activation phone line.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Redgey

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2010, 07:39:54 AM »
            OK i sorted the BOOT up error, I had a drive enabled in the BIOS that shud not have been.
            Where would I find the product key?. The re-instalation CD only has a P/N printed on it.
            I do have the 2 pins jumped, as instructed at an earlier reply.