Software > BSD, Linux, and Unix

Choosing a Linux Distro

<< < (6/6)

Geek-9pm:
This thread will never die......  ;D
One could argue taht the bad guys have little interest in going after old versions. There aer some reasons to include older versions. They have stood the test of time.
https://www.lifewire.com/top-linux-distributions-of-all-time-4084559
The Top 10 Linux Distributions Of All Time

--- Quote ---28 distributions have appeared in the top 10 in the past 14 years proving that whilst it may be easy to rise to success it is just as easy to fall out of favor.

--- End quote ---
Pyppy is included. So is Red Hat. And Ubuntu. And Mint.
BTW, I find the older Puppy to be more stable. I like version 4.2 distro.  :)

camerongray:

--- Quote from: Geek-9pm on July 03, 2017, 03:24:12 PM ---One could argue taht the bad guys have little interest in going after old versions. There aer some reasons to include older versions. They have stood the test of time.

--- End quote ---
That's not how security works though, look at a list of CVEs for Linux along with various included utilities), there have been loads of security bugs that have been fixed.  For example, if you ran a distro from 2012 you would still be vulnerable to well published attacks such as Heartbleed and Shellshock.

Geek-9pm:
camerongray, good answer.  :)
So if I want to update my Linux, how can I wiouth losing my personal stuff?
I see this, butI have not read it over. Does that work?
How to Switch Between Linux Distros Without Losing your Data

--- Quote ---In this guide we’ll go over how to break out a home directory from an existing installation and protect it from future installations. It’s a tedious but simple process that is rewarding.

--- End quote ---

alexd0100:
Maybe you guys could post some newer quizzes. I'm getting a lot "404 Not Found" messages when I click on the links. Lol

I am pretty much decided on which Linux distro I will be getting, but since there are so many of them, it would not hurt to get familiar with a few more which might prove useful later on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version