Software > BSD, Linux, and Unix

Choosing a Linux Distro

<< < (2/6) > >>

Cityscape:
Yes this is a great quiz, I've came across it before but forgot to bookmark.
I get: Fedora, Mandriva, LinuxMint, OpenSuse and Ubuntu.

I use Ubuntu 9.04 as the main OS on my computer, I think it is very good. I'm using it and Google Chrome to type this right now. :)

JJ 3000:

--- Quote from: Computer Hope Admin on February 13, 2010, 02:22:54 AM --- Was a little surprised that it said that a computer a couple years old couldn't run Ubuntu, which is why it only gave it a 95%

--- End quote ---

What? I'm running the latest version of Ubuntu on an eleven year old computer right now. It has a P4 1.5 ghz, 3 sticks of PC133 256MB, and a pretty low end vid card. It runs version 9.10 pretty well. There is a small amount of lag but it isn't nearly as bad as the XP installation that I had on it before.

soybean:

--- Quote from: Computer Hope Admin on February 13, 2010, 02:22:54 AM ---Looks like a great method of determining your *nix distro. Ended up with OpenSuSE and Fedora. Was a little surprised that it said that a computer a couple years old couldn't run Ubuntu, which is why it only gave it a 95%

--- End quote ---
I ended up with OpenSuSE and Fedora also but it listed 8 others as a 95% match.  Also, I said I would be installing on a computer over a few years old and it does not say that a computer a couple years old couldn't run Ubuntu; it says "Your computer may be too slow".  Based on my experience, that response, even for a computer over a few years old, is nonsense. Ubuntu 9.10 runs fairly well on a P4 over 5 years old, with 512MB of RAM.

Also, the 95% rating is not based on a specific processor.  None of the questions asked for details of hardware specs.  The rating is based on the questions in the quiz, which were general in nature, not on specific hardware. 

Cityscape:
These 2 are also really good:
http://desktoplinuxathome.com/distro.html (I like this one a lot)
http://polishlinux.org/choose/quiz/

Cityscape:

--- Quote from: TheUnixGuy on February 13, 2010, 02:29:52 AM ---GNOME on Ubuntu is a bit heavy.

--- End quote ---
If GNOME is heavy then KDE is really heavy.

--- Quote from: soybean on April 06, 2010, 09:35:37 AM ---Based on my experience, that response, even for a computer over a few years old, is nonsense. Ubuntu 9.10 runs fairly well on a P4 over 5 years old, with 512MB of RAM.

--- End quote ---
I had Ubuntu 9.04 run decent on a PC with 768 MB RAM and Celeron 667 Mhz CPU.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version