Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: any reason why I should keep W7??  (Read 9699 times)

Peterwolfe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    any reason why I should keep W7??
    « on: February 10, 2010, 08:22:55 PM »
    Have been a tester for W7/MS and have used now the official version of W7 for several months and yet....I cant be enthusiastic anymore...have never experienced Vista, so....still "kind of clinging" to my XP.... :P

Please give me some benefits for keeping W7 from your experiences... ??? :'(
    « Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 06:46:00 AM by patio »

Hankster58

Beginner
      Re: any reason why I should keep W7??????????
      « Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 08:37:02 PM »
      Um, It WORKS??? I've run Vista for almost a year on this computer and had several PITA issues with it.. upgraded to W7 a few weeks back and so far GREAT! No more BS screw ups.. runs WAY FASTER than Vista did... no beefs here to date! Some here will groan at this statement, but some of the new buttons / taskbar features are sort of Mac like..and ripoff or original idea or whatever who cares.. it's a cool feature and it works! But it's up to you.... hang on to the old.. or use the new one they seem to have "got right".....

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      Re: any reason why I should keep W7??
      « Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 07:28:32 AM »
      Have been a tester for W7/MS and have used now the official version of W7 for several months and yet....I cant be enthusiastic anymore...have never experienced Vista, so....still "kind of clinging" to my XP.... :P

Please give me some benefits for keeping W7 from your experiences... ??? :'(
      You want someone else to tell you why you should use it? You say you've been using 7 for several months. If you like it, use it. If you don't, don't.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 07:32:52 AM »
        Like Allan said.  It's pretty black-and-white. ::)

Alan <><  :D
        I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 07:37:38 AM »
        You could always get rid of it so you can say at parties " yeah i had Win7 but i got rid of it".....

Chicks dig that.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
          « Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 07:49:31 AM »
          Fat chicks? :-X

Alan <><  :D
          I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

jkolak

Hopeful
            « Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 11:47:09 AM »
            It's normal to be comfortable with the familiar. If you liked the look and feel of XP, that's legitimate.

I, myself, was apprehensive about leaving behind something that I had become familiar with, but I decided it was important not to get stuck in the past.

Win7 is more secure in today's malware threat environment. XP is more and more tied to hardware and drivers of the past as vendors stop developing driver updates and move on to new hardware. I suppose it won't be long before software requires a minimum of Windows 7 as well.

You didn't miss anything in Vista. Consider it as sort of a Win7 long beta release. Many report Vista quirks gone when they switched to 7.

Peterwolfe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
              « Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 08:02:34 PM »
              thanks, like the answers as such, especialy the one of jkolak and of course....the partycracker...lol...

havin used XP for so long, and detested Vista after 2 weeks(unistalled as quick as possible....lol...that other word I used was censored...lol), I was eager to test W7 and finally using it, but it isnt a surprise anymore. I succeeded to find all the 64bits drivers, mostly new ones and got my webcam to work in this new environment an thats it...good to hear its safer....for XP I even got a mass of security patches yesterday, so that proofs its point, but well we havent seen the first SP1 fo W7 yet...lol....maybe I stick a bit longer with W7. I succeeded to have W7 as the only MS gadget on my PC, all the rest is freeware....and its all working nicely
              « Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 08:27:43 PM by Peterwolfe »

jkolak

Hopeful
                « Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 02:55:40 AM »
                My budget is averse to software purchases, so I'm almost entirely open source and freeware....

soybean

Genius
                • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
                • Computer: Specs
                • Experience: Experienced
                « Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 08:51:21 AM »
                I was eager to test W7 and finally using it, but it isnt a surprise anymore.
                Well, folks, there we have it, the perfect reason not to keep w7. 

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
                • Experience: Familiar
                « Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 08:55:16 AM »
                Vista, lol.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                • Certifications: List
                « Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 09:23:57 AM »
                Vista, lol.

Yes... Vista is just one big joke, isn't it? I have one problem with this. Why can nobody who laughs at it tell me the punch-line? Why can they not name a single factor about it that they find laughable that isn't completely vain?

They say that UAC is the "hah hah" factor. But what's ridiculous is the fact that Windows has defaulted to having everybody run programs as an administrator. Sure, you could create limited accounts, but in order to install software you would need to log out and then log back on as an admin. (well, except with XP you could switch users). UAC makes switching users completely easy, in that an operation that requires you to switch to the administrator account brings up a prompt to do it.

Many people say the prompt itself is superflous- that windows should be able to know that you just clicked on the item that required elevation. The problem is windows doesn't actually know this; for example, any program can start up the display control panel; any program can run, say, task scheduler or services and add and remove services; and they do it the same way that windows itself starts these programs. So the suggestion is basically to add another way to start these programs that windows uses to bypass UAC. the issue is of course that MS will need to document that function, and even if they didn't malware creators would use it to do their evil, making UAC useless to begin with.

Other say the "ha-ha" is Aero. Well, then shut it off and stop complaining. Aero Basic is the Luna Engine, and I believe you can even do a little hacking and get the standard XP theme as "Aero Basic". But then again, XP's default Luna theme is probably the most ridiculous default configuration ever, so people that think Vista/7's default Aero theme is somehow more gaudy and colorful then XP's they need to have their vision checked over.

Most other complaints are directly the fault of the developers of some old program. people say that "vista changed inside so these programs don't work" which is true, but at the same time, changes to the inside of windows will have absolutely no effect on programs written using the standard API's provided. Then people say That some things aren't usable without hooking deep into windows. And of course they cannot actually name a single one. The best anybody could come up with was the MS commandbars that you see in Office, but again the issue is that that is not a component of windows but rather a component of Office. Windows has listboxes, buttons, checkboxes, listviews, treeviews, tabs, and other controls available, the controls that other programs might use, wether by MS or otherwise, are not part of the API spec. If you want commandbars, right them yourself. Microsoft is not obligated to write your code for you. *censored*, the fact that they give you controls other then some basic canvas type class is overlooked in favour of what they don't provide.

Windows Vista is Version 6.0.

Windows 7 is version 6.1.

Honestly, I can hardly tell the difference between them on my desktop and my laptop (laptop has 7, desktop has Vista). I changed some of the defaults so I don't have to go retro with that ridiculous "hey, let's only show the icons" taskbar, and now the only difference is that the buttons on the taskbar on my Laptop (7) lights up based on where my pointer is within the button. Yep, that's a huge improvement.

And of course, Calc and all those other programs have been "rewritten" which actually isn't true; sure they look completely different, but that by no means implies rewriting. Besides, even if they were, it wasn't the first time. It would just be the first time the GUI changed a noticable amount.

Neither one seems any more reliable then the other; this machine I am writing on now (the vista) has an uptime of a little over 227 hours, just over a week of consecutive run-time. I have no idea how long my laptop was on because it appears to have rebooted at some point recently.

Anyway, this thread is about 7 as opposed to XP. And it has been said- go with whatever you want. If you don't want seven, put XP on. And really, you can always put BOTH on and dual boot. That's what I did while using Vista. the laptop came with Vista and I originally reinstalled everything... it has XP-32 bit, XP 64-bit, and Vista Ultimate x64 installed. I've booted up the XP's only once or twice. I always use the Vista install- and yet I thought I would only use the XP installs.
                I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
                • Experience: Guru
                « Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
                I think I agree with BC (sometimes it's a bit hard to be sure  ;D ). I have systems with XP, Vista and Windows 7 and am quite pleased with all of them. As I've said before, they are just operating systems for crying out loud. Their primary purpose is to serve as an interface between the user and the hardware, and in my opinion they all do that quite well. If you want to nitpick you can find problems with anything. Personally, I've never understood the Vista bashing. I believe most of it comes from users who simply don't know better.

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
                « Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 11:19:25 AM »
                Yes... Vista is just one big joke, isn't it? I have one problem with this. Why can nobody who laughs at it tell me the punch-line? Why can they not name a single factor about it that they find laughable that isn't completely vain?

They say that UAC is the "hah hah" factor. But what's ridiculous is the fact that Windows has defaulted to having everybody run programs as an administrator. Sure, you could create limited accounts, but in order to install software you would need to log out and then log back on as an admin. (well, except with XP you could switch users). UAC makes switching users completely easy, in that an operation that requires you to switch to the administrator account brings up a prompt to do it.

Many people say the prompt itself is superflous- that windows should be able to know that you just clicked on the item that required elevation. The problem is windows doesn't actually know this; for example, any program can start up the display control panel; any program can run, say, task scheduler or services and add and remove services; and they do it the same way that windows itself starts these programs. So the suggestion is basically to add another way to start these programs that windows uses to bypass UAC. the issue is of course that MS will need to document that function, and even if they didn't malware creators would use it to do their evil, making UAC useless to begin with.

Other say the "ha-ha" is Aero. Well, then shut it off and stop complaining. Aero Basic is the Luna Engine, and I believe you can even do a little hacking and get the standard XP theme as "Aero Basic". But then again, XP's default Luna theme is probably the most ridiculous default configuration ever, so people that think Vista/7's default Aero theme is somehow more gaudy and colorful then XP's they need to have their vision checked over.

Most other complaints are directly the fault of the developers of some old program. people say that "vista changed inside so these programs don't work" which is true, but at the same time, changes to the inside of windows will have absolutely no effect on programs written using the standard API's provided. Then people say That some things aren't usable without hooking deep into windows. And of course they cannot actually name a single one. The best anybody could come up with was the MS commandbars that you see in Office, but again the issue is that that is not a component of windows but rather a component of Office. Windows has listboxes, buttons, checkboxes, listviews, treeviews, tabs, and other controls available, the controls that other programs might use, wether by MS or otherwise, are not part of the API spec. If you want commandbars, right them yourself. Microsoft is not obligated to write your code for you. *censored*, the fact that they give you controls other then some basic canvas type class is overlooked in favour of what they don't provide.

Windows Vista is Version 6.0.

Windows 7 is version 6.1.

Honestly, I can hardly tell the difference between them on my desktop and my laptop (laptop has 7, desktop has Vista). I changed some of the defaults so I don't have to go retro with that ridiculous "hey, let's only show the icons" taskbar, and now the only difference is that the buttons on the taskbar on my Laptop (7) lights up based on where my pointer is within the button. Yep, that's a huge improvement.

And of course, Calc and all those other programs have been "rewritten" which actually isn't true; sure they look completely different, but that by no means implies rewriting. Besides, even if they were, it wasn't the first time. It would just be the first time the GUI changed a noticable amount.

Neither one seems any more reliable then the other; this machine I am writing on now (the vista) has an uptime of a little over 227 hours, just over a week of consecutive run-time. I have no idea how long my laptop was on because it appears to have rebooted at some point recently.

Anyway, this thread is about 7 as opposed to XP. And it has been said- go with whatever you want. If you don't want seven, put XP on. And really, you can always put BOTH on and dual boot. That's what I did while using Vista. the laptop came with Vista and I originally reinstalled everything... it has XP-32 bit, XP 64-bit, and Vista Ultimate x64 installed. I've booted up the XP's only once or twice. I always use the Vista install- and yet I thought I would only use the XP installs.

Vista, lol.

soybean

Genius
                • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
                « Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 11:28:27 AM »
                Vista, lol.
                Just practicing being a jerk, or what?  You already said "Vista, lol."  What's your point?

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
                « Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 12:05:58 PM »
                No point, I just didn't like the patronising reply from BC to my initial post.

Hankster58

Beginner
                  « Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 01:10:59 PM »
                  Ill admit there are some real MS fans here, but if you feel he was "smarting off"towards you....... did you doing it back help the debate any?? This is a help and discussion site.... not WWX cagematch!! LOL!!

BC Programmer.... Vista was another "groundbreaker.. but to many, it was issue filled, tho this could be in part to issues with different computer and hardware "combo's"... some easily compatible.. so not so. Mine I'm quite sure was a "not so".. but it seems whatever revision MS did to "7" seems to have worked, in my case anyway! Yours Vista must have liked.... who knows for sure.?? Also, when cleaning the excess programs off my wifes "old" computer so my one kid can use it for games an such.... I "found out" (I knew this, just slipped the mind, too much going on here lately!) that when XP starts to dog down slow...... Go in and DUMP all those Temp Internet files etc...... my guess is they hog up too much ram, when I ran CC cleaner... it was taking forever going thru the temp files... hit cancel, went in a manually dumped it all. Ran CC Cleaner afterwards.. NOW XP is QUICK! simple, but easily forgettable in the day to day life.... it's the easy stuff you miss.....

Also, the UAC was a "nuisance" at times, but with all the kids/grandkids that show up here.... having something that keeps little fingers from messing up my computer when they "sneak by" us is a GOOD thing.. better SAFE than sorry, so I had no beef with that one!!

Visuals?? Check the ones you don't want off!! I think the biggest beef was "compatibility issues".... hardware like I said.... things don't mix, then get fouled up, people get pi@$#d off real fast! Trust me! ;-)

Any.. I vote FOR "7"..... your opinions may vary...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                  • Geek After Dark
                    • Gekk9pm bnlog
                  « Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 01:17:13 PM »
                  Windows 7 is not Vista.
                  No joke.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • BC-Programming.com
                  « Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 01:37:33 PM »
                  No point, I just didn't like the patronising reply from BC to my initial post.

ahh, I see. You didn't like your response to your troll post so you continued to troll, but couldn't even bothered to come up with another precious gem of a content-less post so you repeated the previous one. By the way, THIS post is patronizing. my previous one was informative. See the difference?

Visuals?? Check the ones you don't want off!! I think the biggest beef was "compatibility issues".... hardware like I said.... things don't mix, then get fouled up, people get pi@$#d off real fast! Trust me! ;-)
                  This is an issue with all Windows OS's; remember, Windows Vista introduced a new driver Architecture; Windows 7 is still using that same architecture, so this might contribute to any perceived increased compatibility.

Ill admit there are some real MS fans here,

I just thought of something... an interesting parallel.

People complain, OS wise, about how their older programs don't work in a newer OS; I've covered that this is usually because the program wasn't written right, etc. But I haven't said a whole lot about the development tools that MS themselves release.

Microsoft's First product was a BASIC interpreter. Every new release was almost always fully compatible with the previous one; you could load BASIC code you wrote for GW-BASIC into QBASIC or QuickBasic and run it just fine. This continued up until the first Visual Basic versions for windows, which needed some minor modifications due to the change from a text-based interface to a Graphical one.
                  With Each version of Visual Basic, you could almost be certain that you could load a project from a previous version with no issues. Visual Basic 2 Projects Loaded with VB3, VB3 project with VB4, VB4 projects with VB5 (with changes if your app was predominantly 16-bit) VB5 projects in VB6... this makes sense, considering, for example, you can always use all excel versions to open at least (and usually a lot more) previous versions documents. All versions of excel, and word, and powerpoint, etc work this way.

However, for some reason, when MS created .NET and added VB to it, they orphaned over 10 million Software developers who were using Visual Basic. There are more lines of code written in Visual Basic then there are in COBOL, and that's saying something. You can not open any non-trivial VB6 application with .NET and get it working without major changes.

Now this presents two problems: first off, why would they do this to the largest established development tool in the world? and Second, if they are going to do this once, for the first time, to a product that had been around for nearly 20 years, whose to say it won't get easier with time? "oh yeah, we threw everything away for .NET 2012, yep, your going to need to rewrite all your applications. we like this new organization that actually adds no functional value and instead makes  things more confusing by grouping vaguely similar objects into namespaces with even more vague names, but hey, that's progress." Basically, it's hard to commit to a new MS tool when they've already swept a base of customers as large as those who used "classic" VB under the rug... whose to say they won't do it again.

And is Office still safe? will they release a Office.NET that completely breaks backward compatibility? No, probably not.  s why with a development tool?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • BC-Programming.com
                  « Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 01:41:53 PM »
                  Windows 7 is not Vista.
                  No joke.

Windows 7 isn't really a whole lot better then Windows Vista, at least, it's no better compared to Windows Vista then Windows Vista was to XP, or XP was to 2000, etc; but rather, the biggest, most important difference? Is the fact that they released it to a public beta. That's the ONLY reason it's so much more popular then Vista. if they had done the same with Vista we would have had the same results.

Also it's important to underscore that this is the first public beta; they had beta releases and beta testers for almost all the Windows OS's; 7 was the first one that was open-ended and available to the public. It's a great OS, but there really is no argument that the main reason for it's positive receipt is that it went through a public beta; people knew what to expect.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                  • Geek After Dark
                    • Gekk9pm bnlog
                  « Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 05:25:39 PM »
                  n...o argument that the main reason for it's positive receipt is that it went through a public beta...
                  Even if it is the only reason, that makes it much  better.

Think about it. Would buy a whole new style of clothing from Levi Strauss with little knowledge of whet it will turn out to be?  Maybe. If other people did first and told you good things about the new style.

Microsoft's decision to do public beta was a brilliant idea. And not just a Marketing thing. Microsoft has made better user orientated software  because more users reported automatically the good and bad. 

Peterwolfe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                    « Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 11:48:52 PM »
                    Guys and gals, please do not take out your frustrations ::) on me and my simple question.....and thank you who answered that one... ;D

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                    • Geek After Dark
                      • Gekk9pm bnlog
                    « Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 12:49:01 AM »
                    However, for some reason, when MS created .NET and added VB to it, they orphaned over 10 million Software developers who were using Visual Basic. There are more lines of code written in Visual Basic then there are in COBOL, and that's saying something. You can not open any non-trivial VB6 application with .NET and get it working without major changes.

That is why I am frustrated! The .NET thing is, first of all, an insult to our intellect. Naming anything in the English language with a dot in front is just not the thing we do. That is so juvenile. Maybe they could have called it MS-Net and that would be within reason.

Worse thing is what it does the operating system. It is a major overhaul of the system. This rules out the possibility of a third party making a similar run time library. Guess why they did that?  Think of $$$. Hey, they should have called it $$$NET and let everybody know what it really is about.

I got a new version of Dragon Naturally Speaking. It requires the run time for the MS C++ stuff.  And  the C++ should have been named C-- instead.  And as BC-programmer said, Microsoft cur off millions of independent programmers.

But soon Microsoft will fail. Or at least lose a big part of their market share. But when? It may take another ten years. Or maybe not.

But that is not a reason to stop using Windows 7. It will continue to be useful for awhile. Maybe three to five years.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • BC-Programming.com
                    « Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 04:45:31 AM »
                    That is why I am frustrated! The .NET thing is, first of all, an insult to our intellect. Naming anything in the English language with a dot in front is just not the thing we do. That is so juvenile. Maybe they could have called it MS-Net and that would be within reason.
                    that's kind of a silly critique of .NET... I don't see how having a name beginning with a period is either juvenile or an insult to our intelligence.

Worse thing is what it does the operating system. It is a major overhaul of the system. This rules out the possibility of a third party making a similar run time library. Guess why they did that?  Think of $$$. Hey, they should have called it $$$NET and let everybody know what it really is about.

A:) it doesn't do anything to the operating system. It adds a service for debugging and that's pretty much it. And it certainly did NOT rule out  the possibility of a third party creating a "similar" run-time library; there are near perfect clones of the entire thing created in Visual Basic 6; I believe it is called "vbcorlib" or "vbcorelib" not certain. Second, what about Mono? why does that not count?

Third, I really don't see what money would have to do with it. the run-time is free. the development environment is not. In fact, the argument applies to Visual Basic 6 a lot more then it does to .NET. .NET has had it's run-time ported to other OS's; the VB6 run-time has not. the VB6 run-time is just as free as the .NET run-time, and the IDE is a paid-for product. Somehow I'm not seeing where your criticisms apply exclusively to .NET, if at all.

I got a new version of Dragon Naturally Speaking. It requires the run time for the MS C++ stuff.  And  the C++ should have been named C-- instead.

err- why? Why would it be called C--? it supports the ANSI C++ standard just fine. Not sure what your getting at. the only thing you seem to be complaining about is the C++ run-time redistributable. Big surprise; Delphi needs a redistributable run-time. So do nearly all programming languages; Vb6 is of course no exception, nor VC6. And those programming languages t hat Don't require a run-time are simply statically linked with no option to do so dynamically; all versions of Visual C++ allow for static linking rather then dynamic linking. But there is absolutely no advantage whatsoever.
                    [/quote]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                    • Geek After Dark
                      • Gekk9pm bnlog
                    « Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 11:55:18 AM »
                    BC_Programmer,

this time your are right and i am the one just ranting about my frustratioN .It just seems that MS is making trouble for use, AND i am having trouble with my caps lock key!!!

rthompson80819

Specialist

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 12:39:43 PM »
                    Microsoft's decision to do public beta was a brilliant idea.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't MS usually done some type of public beta testing, just before on a much more limited basis.  I don't remember the version numbers, but I know of several people that had beta versions of previous win versions for testing long before win 7.

jkolak

Hopeful
                      « Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 12:55:48 PM »
                      Back then you had to be signed up as a MS beta tester. Of course, these copies often got leaked to the public, but on Win7 the public was invited to download from MS.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                      • Geek After Dark
                        • Gekk9pm bnlog
                      « Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 03:48:21 PM »
                      Back then you had to be signed up as a MS beta tester. Of course, these copies often got leaked to the public, but on Win7 the public was invited to download from MS.
                      Yes! Glad I got mine. And after that I forked up the money for a special deal. I got both Vista and & home for about $110 for a major vendor. Such a deal!

patio

• Genius
                      • Maud' Dib
                        • Yes
                      « Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 04:54:03 PM »
                      Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't MS usually done some type of public beta testing, just before on a much more limited basis.  I don't remember the version numbers, but I know of several people that had beta versions of previous win versions for testing long before win 7.

Compared to the pre-release of Win7 all other MS OS releases had probably at best 2 to 5 % of the amount of testers...
                      They still had BETA testers so to speak of which i am 1 but went 1 step further and released time out copies of both the BETA and the Release Candidate to the General Public...therefore creating in essence literally millions of BETA testers...

Granted many of those probably never took the time to send bug reports in but enough of them did to far outweigh those who didn't...

Brilliant marketing i say.
                      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jkolak

Hopeful
                        « Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 04:42:05 AM »
                        both the BETA and the Release Candidate to the General Public...therefore creating in essence literally millions of BETA testers...

I still see Vista as a long beta of 7, so that's even more time and testers to work out bugs :-)

Brilliant marketing i say.

Right. It gives testers a sense of an ownership relationship by having been involved in it during pre-release stages.

Plus it gives kind of an "insider" feeling by getting in on it before general release.

MacPC

Intermediate
                          « Reply #30 on: February 19, 2010, 12:54:42 AM »
                          >>Re: any reason why I should keep W7??

Nope. Get a Mac or switch to Linux.

>> Microsoft's decision to do public beta was a brilliant idea.

Fantastic, MS got a bunch of suckers to work for them for free!! Brilliant indeed. Perhaps Toyota should follow the same idea and ask all its customers to test the brakes and the steering system on the highway.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                            • Yes
                            • Yes
                            • BC-Programming.com
                          « Reply #31 on: February 19, 2010, 08:40:45 AM »
                          >>Re: any reason why I should keep W7??

Nope. Get a Mac or switch to Linux.

Fantastic, MS got a bunch of suckers to work for them for free!! Brilliant indeed. Perhaps Toyota should follow the same idea and ask all its customers to test the brakes and the steering system on the highway.
                          google

killerb255

Adviser
                            « Reply #32 on: February 19, 2010, 11:19:14 AM »
                            :deleted double-post, please remove:
                            Quote from: talontromper
                            Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

killerb255

Adviser
                              « Reply #33 on: February 19, 2010, 11:22:24 AM »
                              Just practicing being a jerk, or what?  You already said "Vista, lol."  What's your point?

These would be the logical fallacies "appeal to ignorance" and "begging the question."  The former means to spout off something irrelevant instead of having a relevant retort; the latter means using "circular logic": A because of B -> why B? -> because of A.

tl;dr version: it's trolling.
                              Quote from: talontromper
                              Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Hankster58

Beginner
                                « Reply #34 on: February 19, 2010, 11:01:47 PM »
                                Boy!! Easy on the "heat" guys!! Just got the wife's new PC up and running, and she loves "7"! Compared to her Vista 64 laptop (year old) .. this thing is a hemi powered rod(real 426 hemi, not that "new" stuff)!! Got two running Windows 7, and all I can say is "they got it right"..... your opinion may vary.. but these two machines are on 24/7 and USED! Web browsing,email, video work, photo work, website building and maintenance, word processing etc.. not just facebook and solitaire!! LOL!! I may be hard at times on MS.. but not THIS time.

Further.... MAC is NOT always so "perfect".... I recently got one of those too (yes, at times we have FOUR computers running in here (Home business) and they blew it big time trying to "improve on iMovie6... iMovie8 was so BAD.... they offered free downloads of "6" to anyone who didn't like "8"!! I'm learning iMovie9 now (prerequisite to FinaCut Pro) and they took OUT some of the best features"because they wanted to make it easier for users" NOT!! Mac users got pissed they were screwed out of features that made it so GOOD "before".... iMovie9 is prety sophisticated stuff, but even I can see things they took out from "6" they should have left alone... maybe, like MS did in testing for "7".. they should have asked the CUSTOMER what he "wanted" and what WORKED!!! Customers as "suckers"???? I think NOT! I'd rather be ASKED my opinion... that be handed somewthing less than functional because somebody ELSE decided what WE needed or liked.... sorry, was a SMART move on MS part this time......

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
                                  • Yes
                                  • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
                                « Reply #35 on: February 20, 2010, 12:16:26 AM »

So, Microsoft can't win either way with this guy, who's about as funny as a screen door on a submarine.   ::)

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"