Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Software Engineering Education  (Read 3634 times)

2rani

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    Software Engineering Education
    « on: February 11, 2010, 11:28:30 AM »
    Hi,

I will be commencing an education next summer. I am interested in IT, computers and technology and because of that I've been considering studying to become a Software Engineer, because of good job opportunities and a high salary. I have the studied the required subjects (Math A level, Physics B level and Chemistry C level) to be eligible for the education. But I felt I was struggling with math in school, so I'm worried about the role of Math for the Software Engineering education since A level is needed. The university I'm considering to go to requires (Scandinavian grade system) an average of at least 8 to be eligible for the education (I have 9,2, which is considerably higher), OR an average of 7 in each of the subjects: Math, physics and chemistry. I pass that too (Average of 8 in math). BUT, since the education requires Math A level and I already felt I was struggling in school in Math, I am worried if the math is too difficult. I wouldn't want to start an education and be unable to finish it.

Are there any Software Engineers/People studying Software Engineering on this site, that can share some of their experiences with math in Software Engineering? I've always got fairly good grades in school, so should I be worried?

I tried e-mailing a student at the university that I wish to attend (the university listed his e-mail in case people wanted to ask questions), but the e-mail was no longer in use. That's why I'm asking here now, in case you wonder why.

Thanks in advance for responses, I'll be checking back whenever I can.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Software Engineering Education
    « Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 10:59:04 PM »
    What are the math requirements which the university you plan to attend has for the Software Engineer curriculum?

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

mroilfield

Mentor
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 11:23:30 PM »
    I would try to contact the professors and discuss it with them.
    You can't fix Stupid!!!

2rani

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 08:00:45 AM »
      The university requires an average of at least 7 in Math A level, I have an average of 8.
       I'd just really like to hear from someone, who has studied Software Engineering.

mroilfield

Mentor
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 11:18:21 AM »
      I would try to contact the professors and discuss it with them.

Who better to ask about it then the professors
      You can't fix Stupid!!!

Treval

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 02:47:28 PM »
        I do Software Engineering and they don't require much math at all (I'm not saying that that's your case). My average in math is like 4.5-5.
        My physics score is pretty much non-existing and chemistry very bad also.
        Well, I'm lucky I don't live in a country where they are facist about grades.

All I need and needed for my programming is some basic algebra, statistics and graph theory.. for the rest.. rofl.
        We don't even have to learn integrals.
        I'm sorry to hear that they base themselves on grades to allow someone to enter.
        Here they just let you in, even if you have bad grades (I take the example from a former friend of mine who went to take cryptology (really hard math) and his highschool end grades were horrible (5/10).

So let's see.. programming.. math wise.. well, first year you have to usually make a calculator, some sort of tax system, .. I don't really see much math in there. Maybe if you are better at math than me you can see the difference between an efficient sorting algorithm and a bad one (I know I can't).
        It's not been hard for me up to now. Heck, I'm in my third year and I haven't had any problems (well, maybe in the first year but anyway).

I'll give you one mindset to go with: nothing is impossible. "I can't" is nonsense. There are no limits. You can do the hardest math and subjects. Just go for it.

Good luck out there in the college world!
        Study study study!
        I know I do.

Treval

2rani

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 09:20:39 AM »
          I do Software Engineering and they don't require much math at all (I'm not saying that that's your case). My average in math is like 4.5-5.
          My physics score is pretty much non-existing and chemistry very bad also.
          Well, I'm lucky I don't live in a country where they are facist about grades.

All I need and needed for my programming is some basic algebra, statistics and graph theory.. for the rest.. rofl.
          We don't even have to learn integrals.
          I'm sorry to hear that they base themselves on grades to allow someone to enter.
          Here they just let you in, even if you have bad grades (I take the example from a former friend of mine who went to take cryptology (really hard math) and his highschool end grades were horrible (5/10).

So let's see.. programming.. math wise.. well, first year you have to usually make a calculator, some sort of tax system, .. I don't really see much math in there. Maybe if you are better at math than me you can see the difference between an efficient sorting algorithm and a bad one (I know I can't).
          It's not been hard for me up to now. Heck, I'm in my third year and I haven't had any problems (well, maybe in the first year but anyway).

I'll give you one mindset to go with: nothing is impossible. "I can't" is nonsense. There are no limits. You can do the hardest math and subjects. Just go for it.

Good luck out there in the college world!
          Study study study!
          I know I do.

Treval

Thank you!