Change the drive letter of a CD-ROM, DVD or disc drive.
When changing the drive letters on your disc drives you can only change the drive to any drive letter after the hard drive. For example, because your hard drive is C: you can only change your CD drive to D: through Z:. If you have multiple hard drives or partitions and your last drive letter is F: you can only change your CD drive to G: through Z:.
Note: Computers never allow a CD-ROM to be setup as A:, B: or C:.
Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, and 8, and 10 users
Note: Users who want to change the CD disc drive letter in Windows 2000 and Windows XP must have Administrator rights. If you are logged in as a user that does not have these privileges, log out and log in as a user account that does have these rights.
- Open the Control Panel.
- Open Administrator Tools.
- Open Computer Management.
- Open Disk Management.
- Locate the drive that you want to change the drive letter, right-click on that drive and select Change Drive Letter and Paths as shown in the picture below.
Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows ME users
- Open the Device Manager.
- Click the "+" next to "CD-ROM" or "DVD/CD-ROM drives."
- Double-click the drive you want to change.
- Click the "Settings" tab.
- Where the computer lists the start and end drive letter, enter the drive letter you want to change the drive to and click ok.
- Restart the computer.
MS-DOS and Windows 3.X users
- If you are in Windows, Exit to an MS-DOS prompt.
- Type cd\ and press enter.
- Once at DOS Type "edit c:\autoexec.bat" (without the quotes).
- In the autoexec.bat window locate the MSCDEX line.
- Once this line has been found, if it does not have /L:x (where x is the drive letter) add /L:D (this example assigns the CD-ROM to D: this can be anything up to Z).
- Once you have made the changes go up to file (if you do not have a mouse press Alt+F) then choose exit and say "Yes" to save the changes.
- Once back at DOS Type "edit c:\config.sys" (without the quotes)
- In the config.sys window look for anything that says LASTDRIVE=x (were x is the last drive letter). If you do not see this line go to the very beginning of your config.sys and add LASTDRIVE=K (or the letter that you want to be the ending letter. Note this must be anything between C and Z.
- Once you have made the changes go up to File (if you do not have a mouse press Alt+F) then choose exit and say "Yes" to save the changes.
- Reboot computer.