Why do I get an 'Open With' window when opening a file?
When opening a file that Windows does not recognize an "Open with" window is shown, similar to the one shown in the picture below. If you believe you have a program capable of handling this file, locate the program, highlight it, and click Ok. If you do not see the program listed, click the Other button and browse to the location of the program used to open this file.
If you always want to open this type of file with this program, select "Always use this program to open this type of file."
Changing the Open with program
If you want to change the program Windows is using to open a program, you can right-click the file and click Open with option. If the Open with option is not seen hold down the Shift key and right-click the file again.
- How to associate a file with a program in Windows.
- Viewing the contents of a file.
- Full listing of computer file extensions.
- See our Open with definition for further information and related links.
- Computer file help and support.