How to uninstall or reinstall Windows Media Player
Updated: 12/31/2020 by Computer Hope
With the popularity of streaming media, e.g., Spotify and Netflix, traditional media software has lost some of its popularity. If you're having trouble deciding whether or not you want to keep Windows Media Player, the following sections show you how to uninstall or reinstall it.
Disable or uninstall Windows Media Player
- Press the Windows key, type Control Panel, and then press Enter.
- Under the Programs section, click Uninstall a program.
- On the left side of the screen, click Turn Windows features on or off.
- Scroll down to and expand the Media Features folder, then uncheck the box next to Windows Media Player.
- On the prompt that appears, click and then the button.
Re-enable or reinstall Windows Media Player
If you have previously uninstalled Windows Media Player, you can reinstall it.
- Repeat steps 1-3 in the previous section.
- In step four, check the box next to Windows Media Player, and then click the button.
- Once the installation finishes, click the button.