Why am I missing all icons on my Windows desktop?
If your icons are hidden on your Windows desktop, follow these steps to show them again.
If you are only missing an icon such as My Computer or My Documents see our missing My Computer, My Network Places, or My Documents icon document.
Disable Active Desktop
If all of your icons are missing from the desktop, it's likely that you have Active Desktop enabled. If you do not want to use the Active Desktop feature, follow the steps below.
- Right-click on the desktop
- Click on Active Desktop and uncheck "View as a web page."
Show icons when desktop is viewed as a web page
If you do want to view your desktop as a web page, to get your icons back follow the steps below.
- Open the Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel, double-click on the Display icon.
- In Display Properties, click the effects tab, and un-check the option "Hide icons when the desktop is viewed as a web page.".
- How to show or hide desktop shortcut icons.
- How to create, arrange, and remove Windows desktop icons.
- Missing desktop My Computer, Network, or My Documents icon.
- Quickly increase and decrease the size of desktop icons.
- See our desktop and icon definition for further information and related links.
- Microsoft Windows help and support.