How to cast a website or Windows desktop to a TV
A Chromecast is a handy device that allows users to broadcast a variety of streaming content from their mobile devices to a TV. However, many users don't know that they can view a website or Windows desktop using a PC as well. Casting your browser to your TV means that you can view anything you see in a browser window, including websites like YouTube, Netflix, or Twitch, or any other. Furthermore, casting your desktop shows anything you're doing in Windows, albeit it's a bit slower. As of March 2019, only the Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge browsers have the Cast feature.
For the following steps to work, your Chromecast and TV must be turned on.
- Open Google Chrome.
- Click the icon in the upper-right corner of the Chrome browser window.
- Select Cast from the drop-down menu that appears.
- Select your device from the prompt that appears.
- You should now see the Google Chrome browser on your TV.
If you click the Sources button, you may choose to cast your desktop or a file stored on your computer, in addition to a browser window.
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- In the upper-right corner of the Edge browser window, click the button.
- Select More tools from the drop-down menu that appears.
- Select the Cast to media device option.
- Locate your device in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Select a device and your browser should now be able to cast to it.