What is Whagent?
As of June 2001, Whagent has been installed on over seven million computers. Whagent is a product of the WebHancer company used to collect information about a user while he or she is browsing the Internet. This program is loaded as a TSR and is installed as an additional install when installing various Internet utility programs such as the examples below.
- Audio Galaxy
- Wildcat web optimizer
- BeFaster Internet Speed Up Toolkit
Note: This program currently appears to be installed only on PC-compatible computers running Microsoft Windows.
We recommend that you uninstall this utility, because it is an invasion of your privacy.
To completely uninstall this utility, follow the instructions below:
- Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, and double-click on Add/Remove programs.
- If present in Add/Remove programs, remove the program. If this program is not present in Add/Remove programs but is listed in the Task Manager, highlight the program and click the End Task button. Then, manually delete the program by following the steps below:
- Empty your C:\temp and C:\Windows\Temp directory if they exist.
- Reboot the computer (this step is required to successfully complete the next two steps).
- Ensure that Whagent is not present in the background by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del again on the keyboard. If present, End Task the item before doing the next two steps, otherwise click Cancel and continue with the next two steps.
- Delete the directory C:\Program Files\webHancer\ if present.
- Ensure the below files are no longer present on the computer.