How do I clear my address bar history?
Most modern web browsers give you suggestions when you begin typing into your address bar, automatically completing your text for you. They may suggest site URLs from your browsing history, popular search results, or sites you have open in other tabs.
In many cases, these suggestions come from your browsing history. If you want to clear this information, see our page on how to clear your browser's history.
If you do not want these suggestions to appear at all, or you want to control what kind of suggestions are offered, follow the instructions below that correspond to the browser you're using.
To disable address bar suggestions in Microsoft Edge, follow these steps:
- In a Microsoft Edge window, click the menu button, which looks like three horizontal dots (⋯), and choose Settings.
- Click the View advanced Settings button.
- Click the button labeled Show search and site suggestions as I type so that it is toggled to Off.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
To disable address bar suggestions in Microsoft Internet Explorer, follow these steps:
- In an Internet Explorer window, click the small down arrow ( ▼ ) to the right of the address bar.
- In the drop-down menu that appears, click Turn off search suggestions.
To configure the address bar suggestions in Mozilla Firefox, follow these steps:
- In a Firefox window, click the menu button in the upper-right corner, which looks like three horizontal bars ( ≡ ). (If you are using macOS X, open the Firefox menu at the top of your screen.)
- Select Options to open the Settings tab (If you're using macOS X, select Preferences.).
- On the left side of the Settings tab, select Privacy.
- Under Location Bar, select or deselect the items you want to appear as address bar suggestions (choose from History, Bookmarks, and Open Tabs). To disable suggestions entirely, deselect all three.
- In a Chrome window, click the menu icon in the upper-right, which looks like three vertical dots ( ⋮ ). (If you're using macOS X, open the Chrome menu at the top of your screen.)
- Select Settings. (If you're using macOS X, select Preferences.)
- Scroll down and click Show advanced settings.
- Under Privacy, deselect the box labeled Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar.
In Safari, the only way to disable address bar suggestions is to browse in a private window.
- Launch Safari.
- From Safari's File menu, choose New Private Window, or press ⌘-Shift-N on your keyboard.
To disable address bar suggestions in Opera, follow these steps.
- In an Opera window, click the Menu button in the upper-left corner. (If you are using macOS X, open the Opera menu at the top of your screen.)
- Select Settings. (If you are using macOS X, select Preferences.)
- On the left side of the window, choose Privacy & security.
- Deselect the box labeled Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar.